Author Topic: Suzuki clutch bearing number request  (Read 7949 times)

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
Suzuki clutch bearing number request
« on: 08.12. 2010 16:02 »
Hello All
I have been searching around and while there has been a lot of talk about the suzuki clutch and even photos of one with a ball bearing I it made Colin Tie. I have yet to see the trade bearing number or supplier for one. Anyone know this mystery bearing?
Cheers
Dan
50' BSA A7 Land speed racer
64' BSA A50C Scramble-ized
67' Triumph Bonnieville (stock)

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Re: Suzuki clutch bearing number request
« Reply #1 on: 08.12. 2010 17:57 »
Do you mean the roller bearing? Got a complete GS550 clutch in the garage that I can measure for you....but it wont fit in plunger cases....waaaay to big. Folk have fitted all sorts of japanese clutches to brit bikes, just a case of finding one that will suit your needs. BTW, the Phill Pearson conversion uses a new custom made outer drum.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
« Reply #2 on: 08.12. 2010 18:39 »
This is the bearing am referring to. I also have a 2002 gs in my garage. I was measuring it all up last night on the shop and I disagree that it woulnt fit unless your speaking of the width, because i was considering making on making a new outer cover anyway, mine is trashed. I was planing on drilling out the rivit's on the gs clutch and using the basket only in the plunger chainwheel. Just need to figure out a bearing for the center now.
Cheers
Dan

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.12. 2010 21:49 »
HI Dan,
THe Colin Tie clutch conversion is for the later swingarm bikes, they have a tapered mainshaft
The 4 spring (Triumph type) clutch centre is used and an R22 bearing fits the chainwheel 1 3/8in ID x 2 1/2in. OD
There doesnt seem to be enough "meat" on the GS 500 clutches I have to open them out to fit onto the adaptor???
The older GSXR 750 (Slingshot??) clutch centres have a cast in steel centre and its big enough to machine out to fit the 4 spring adaptor
Still waiting to get at this project *sad2*

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 08.12. 2010 22:55 »
You know....I've been looking at this.  It seems to me like the later swingarm gearbox mainshaft should fit the plunger box.  Anyone tried this?  Would certainly make retrofitting other things a lot easier.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
« Reply #5 on: 09.12. 2010 04:38 »
Well Gents I think what I am going to do is bolt the GS basket to the plunger chain wheel with a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum plate in between. The aluminum plate will have a hole machined in the center for a lipped (like this one http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-and-roller-bearings/=a2efsd ) bearing that i will press in with -.003 fit from the outside. This should hold her in place between the too and negate any need for a snap ring. I suppose all I need now is a bearing with the correct bore for the shaft and width. Thoughts?
Cheers
Dan

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.12. 2010 06:18 »

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 09.12. 2010 12:23 »
Orabanda,
Its a bit torturous but works for me, cheers

Found this on the internet.
Uses Windows XP to reduce jpeg file sizes. Someone might find it handy.

Step1.
Locate the JPEG file you wish to resize. Select it and right-click.
Step2.
Find the "Send To" tab, and locate "Mail Recipient." Click on this.
Step3.
A new window titled, "Send Pictures via E-Mail" will pop up. The two options listed are "Make my Pictures Smaller," or "Keep the Original Sizes." Select "Make my Pictures Smaller" and hit "OK." NOTE: For more detailed compression options, click the "Show More Options" tab in the bottom left-hand corner of the window. You can choose between three possible reduction rates. Hit "OK" when finished.
Step4.
 An e-mail message will pop up with your resized JPEG as an attachment.
Step5
To save a copy of your resized JPEG file, go to the "File" tab in the top left corner of the e-mail message window, and select "Save Attachments." Choose the location to save the new file and hit "Save."
Step6.
Shut down that email. and send the saved file to whoever.
cheers

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 09.12. 2010 12:56 »
Hi Richard, I use a program called Photoscape (it's free) load your photo in and crop it (looks like you already do crop your photos) save the cropped photo to your hardisc (save as), when you do this the program gives you the option to select the quality, low quality reduces the file size to about one third of original but still plenty good enough for posting.
Also select a lower resolution on the camera when shooting,  I always forget *doh*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 09.12. 2010 15:23 »
Another free program is pixresizer which allows you to select the size (in pixels), retaining the original aspect ratio. It also allows batch processing which is often useful.

Available here.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.12. 2010 20:33 »
Hi Dan and All,
The plunger and swing arm gearbox mainshafts are interchangable, The first gear pinion can be pressed off and swopped over,
I have not come across anybody doing the reversae swop??

The usual reason for doing this is to either fit a Norton or NEB Speedway clutch to the swing arm gearboxes
as these clutches will fit the splined shaft!!
My reasons for going for the Suzuki Clutch are simply cost and the satisfaction of doing it myself
I bought a few different GS and GSXR clutches on Ebay not paying more than ?50 for any one of them
I bought a couple of 43 tooth blank sprockets from "Sprockets  Unlimited"

There may be another benefit from the Suziki conversion?  Weight!!
I weighed all the bits needed for the conversion and it comes in at about 2.5 kilos  *smile*

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 01.02. 2014 22:14 »
HI Dan,
THe Colin Tie clutch conversion is for the later swingarm bikes, they have a tapered mainshaft
The 4 spring (Triumph type) clutch centre is used and an R22 bearing fits the chainwheel 1 3/8in ID x 2 1/2in. OD
There doesnt seem to be enough "meat" on the GS 500 clutches I have to open them out to fit onto the adaptor???
The older GSXR 750 (Slingshot??) clutch centres have a cast in steel centre and its big enough to machine out to fit the 4 spring adaptor
Still waiting to get at this project *sad2*

Regards
John O R

Just wondered how this bearing has worked out as the original one was rollers?
ATB
Keith

'59 A10RR + Second engine

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.02. 2014 19:47 »
Hi Keith,
Since both Colin Tye and Phillip Pearson (whos clutches are now numbered over 500 I believe ! )
use this ball bearing I will take it that its up to the job

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 03.02. 2014 22:20 »
Colin continues to use that bearing in his clutches; he has never had a failure.