Author Topic: BANG !!!!!  (Read 4726 times)

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
BANG !!!!!
« on: 27.08. 2008 15:22 »
What can i say !!?

Anyone got a spare plunger frame ?
BSA A10 GOLDEN FLASH 1954
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BANG !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 27.08. 2008 16:03 »
Unclemeat,

Very sorry to see this and hope you are not injured.

Assuming the frame and engine are original, my advice would be to bite the bullet and have the frame straightened by the best house you can find. In my case, and from complete ignorance back in '03 when I started my rebuild, I decided the $300 to straighten the frame was too much. I thought I could buy a frame much cheaper on eBay, which I did. Back then, I didn't know the resale value (as if I would sell this motorcycle) that matching numbers adds. Also, I didn't know that later A10s had a cross-shaft through the swing-arm spindle for right-hand brakes versus the left-hand rod pull on my '55. This ended up with me needing to change the swing-arm spindle and bushes (the latter being a task I gladly would have paid $300 to avoid - a very long story). Then, I did not have a boss in the frame for the pedal pivot of my rod-pull brake system, so I had to add this myself at the cost of buying a wire-welder (not completely sunk money, as I like having it). The story goes on.  I am sure you wouldn't have the kind of problems I did (being a plunger, for example, and probably more awake), but it seems that having a frame that is good except for being bent is better than buying one that may have a bunch of other problems, which may also include being bent.

Richard

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.08. 2008 17:07 »
Where are you based? as they come up on e-bay UK quite often, hope you came out ok though?

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 27.08. 2008 17:17 »
I am fine after the bump (thanks for asking) just very cheesed off. I agree with what you say. I could get the frame straightened as the bend is not that bad. The numbers aren't matching so getting another frame is not the end of the world. As you can see from the pics the mudguard got it as well as stays, central strengthener, shrouds, forks (easily sort stanchions out) and wheel. The plunger frame is in two portions and its only the front section thats hurt which might make things a little easier. I was lucky the tank diddnt get damaged. Still..gunna cost me especially for the paint job.

Ebay is a good source and i will be on the lookout (uk).
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 27.08. 2008 20:04 »
 *sad2* this is some sad pictures. But good that you're ok, mind sharing what happened? And very nice the tank is ok, that should be an inspiration to get it all fixed!

e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 27.08. 2008 20:12 »
That's a sad sight - but glad you're Ok. V happy to hear the tank's OK, and most of the rest of the bike - and good luck with the parts search.
Bill

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 28.08. 2008 02:24 »
Glad you are ok but a shame about the bike.

When you say the engine and frame numbers dont match, the numbers on these bikes dont match. What I mean is you will not have the same number on the frame and engine. It might be worth checking with the BSA owners club to see if your frame and engine left the factory together. If they did it would be worth repairing your frame if possible.

Good luck getting it sorted and I hope you are back on the road as soon as possible.

Brian.

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 28.08. 2008 22:49 »
Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement. Brian, interesting you say that, i always thought that they should match with maybe the odd one here and there not matching from the factory. I will contact the club and find out.

I was following my wife (she was in the car with our baby on the back seat) down a quiet straight country road when she suddenly braked hard and stopped - i diddnt have time to brake (I should have left more distance with drum brakes !) and hit hard into the back of the car. She stopped because there was a bicycle on the side of the road with what looked like a lifeless body in the ditch. Actually it was a guy doing his bit for the environment cleaning out the little stream for the water vowls !! Baby slept through the whole thing sweet and sound.

Pretty cheesed off i must say but i will get the bike back to normal over the next year ready for some more bike shows !
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 29.08. 2008 07:46 »
Oooops, I bet that goes down well with the bike and car insurance firms! Seems you were both at fault, you too close and her braking too hard. She could have stopped safely then walked or reversed back to check on the cyclist.
Anyway, glad you were not injured and the best of luck with getting the bike sorted.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #9 on: 29.08. 2008 21:41 »
A special occurence, not many, if any, has had an accident crashing into their own car! Again, so good everybody is well thereafter. Best wishes for the rebuild.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 29.08. 2008 23:04 »
Thanks again for your kind words.

I stripped the front end this evening and most bits are damaged in one way or another. Before the bump, the rear chain was perfectly tensioned but is now hanging down 3 inches in the middle. Under closer inspection i noticed the carburettor is a lot closer to the oil tank than it should be !!!! the whole engine has moved back....crickey.

The headlamp cowl managed to escape injury which is one good thing and i'v already found some shrouds on ebay. so...here we go again with build No.2.
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

G/F DAVE

« Reply #11 on: 30.08. 2008 17:37 »
Hi, I would check the gearbox mounts, the ones under the box that use two 5/16th bolts to mount to frame as these are delicate at the best of times.  I managed to straighten my GOLDFLASH frame with a air ram, mind you it wasn,t to far out of line. I have a spare 53/54 plunger frame with the rubber mounts for tank at front & back it also has the side stand lug & steering lock bracket on headstock, If you get stuck for a frame let me know. G/F DAVE....

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 04.09. 2008 10:15 »
Good point Dave. The 5/16" bolts came out fine but i have to admit i didn't have a close look at the g/box threads. will do tonight.

RE: Frame, thanks very much for the offer ! very interested indeed ! I'v pretty much made my mind up that replacing the frame is the way to go - its too badly bent in a number of places which you cant really make out in the pics. (Although i will keep it stored away for a rainy day of course).

Q: Are you in the UK ?
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 08.09. 2008 17:16 »
There is a frame on e-bay right now, just what you need...

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 08.09. 2008 21:05 »
ouch, glad you're alright.

sounds a bit like my pop's Tractor story.  tractor was stalled out, wouldn't start, borrowed the neighbor's tractor to pull/bump start it with mom driving one of them.  well they got it started alright, but then ran it right up onto the tines sticking off the back of the neighbor's and skewered the radiator...  that was a day I learned a lot of new words... *eek*

best of luck then, hope it all works out!!
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=