Author Topic: Bob Newby Belt drive  (Read 11620 times)

Offline RGS man

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Moving Up
Bob Newby Belt drive
« on: 20.01. 2010 00:28 »
Hi Everyone, new member here.
I have recently imported a 1963 RGS to Western Australia. I have a few things to do to it, (change oil tank, bit of paintwork, respoke etc) it leaks oil from just about everywhere!! I thought I may put a belt primary to reduce the amount of vibration, engine noise etc, anybody got one? if so how is it, any probs etc. The bike goes pretty well, clubmans trim, bit of a backbreaker at times!! especially putting on centrstand, any hints? (other than get rid of it)!!! I'm also going to rebuild the head, any suggestions as to which valves to use? I have to get the plug holes welded up and recut as it has brass plug sleeves, which are a nightmare, the left hand plug tends to oil up. Love the bike though. Also have a Commando fastback, and CB750/4, Hinkley Bonnie, and the worlds most uncomfortable bike, a GSXR 600!!!.  Cheers.
1963 RGS
1970 Commando Fastbck
1973 Cb750/4
2009 Yamaha XJR 1300
2002 GSXR 600

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: Bob Newby Belt drive
« Reply #1 on: 20.01. 2010 10:51 »
Hi there RGS man...

Nice to have you joining us... The Bob Newby clutch is supposed to be very good, expensive too, What clutch has your RGS currently got? Probably a four spring jobbie? in which case it is also a good clutch when set up correctly, I've not heard of them being responsible for vibration though. I'd sort out that oily plug & any other problems before replacing clutch. Let us know how you get on.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 20.01. 2010 20:28 »
G'day RGSman, another sandgroper, welcome.
                                                             I have a belt and commando clutch on the cafe. I love it, not enough o's in smooooth. it does away with the cush drive but the belt is set up quite loose (able to twist it 90 deg between the pulley's). It was made here in Oz by Lytedrive Melbourne. It cost the same as a Newby landed here, $1000.
But in saying that I ran a 4 spring dry and no cush on my fire breathing A7 racer for 8 years and only greased the rollers between meets. They are a very goo clutch.
I agree with LJ, fix everything else first. The clutch is the easy bit. I think the RGS came with a 1 1/2" inlet and 1 3/8" exhaust valves, 67-961 inlet 67-967 ex. After welding the plug holes I would also replace the seats and guides as the welding may loosen them.
Only a few more posts and we can see pics
Good luck.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.01. 2010 21:21 »
Mate,
         The best thing you could do for your engine is have it dynamically balanced.
The vibes don't all disappear but become tolerable.
The alloy heads are a bit noisier than the iron type.
I've got a '62 RGS currently lying in the shed waiting restoration [again].
Mine is the standard touring type, much easier on the back! The stand is a pain without the lever but at least you won't have the spark display on left handers.
Trev.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 20.01. 2010 21:37 »
rgs man i have a belt drive clutch smooth as silk love it srm job cost me £600
also had mine dynamically balanced makes a big difference look at my vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ojX7fzvrI

Offline RGS man

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 20.01. 2010 23:57 »
I Fellas, Thanks for all the feedback. The cost of the Newby one is 395 pounds. the Hayward one is considerably more. I have heard good reports on the Newby one, I think I will buy that one. The reason I'm doing it now, is probably cos the thing has no wheels, oil tank tool box etc, etc. the chrome (that needs doing) isoff the the platers today. I'm getting the dunlop rims polished at the same time, then they are off to be respoked. the oil tank etc is at the painters. I'm not going the whole hog, so the frames not getting done, its fairly good. I bought it to RIDE, not show, although it will look quite nice. When I asked about the valves, I meant do I put titanuium in or are the standard ones good enough? Sorry, didnt give enough info. I did wonder if, when the head is getting done, should I get the crank balanced etc.
The belt drive will certainly stop oil leaks! I could start my own refinery,m the amount of oil that the BSA and Commando drops!!!
Are there any other mods that may be worthwhile??
The chap from WA, whereabouts are you? I'm in Attadale.
Cheers  All.
1963 RGS
1970 Commando Fastbck
1973 Cb750/4
2009 Yamaha XJR 1300
2002 GSXR 600

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 21.01. 2010 00:43 »
G'day again. Std valves will do, check crank for wear and grind if necessary then balance and nitride. balance rods & pistons as well. Careful assembly avoids problems later.
I haven't heard bad reports on any of the belt kits, there is QPD in the US as well. I wanted a diaphragm and local. Just watch the freight cost from UK.
Orabanda is in WA and Josh Cox flies in and out.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.01. 2010 02:44 »
RGS Man,
A few years ago I bought a 60 Super Rocket, and turned it into a RGS replica.

I have a suzuki clutch in it.

Colin Tie (Mr Gold Star) in Mundaring is responsible;.

I had a spare clutch out of a PE400 Suzuki, and have got Colin to do a belt drive for a Super Rocket I am building up.

Colin has 4 or 5 Gold stars, and has fitted belt drives (based around Suzuki clutches ) to mosyt of them.

Let me know if you want  Colin's contact details.

Richard

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.01. 2010 22:41 »
Hi Richard,
Did you ever get an oppertunity to ask Colin what size/ number the bearing is that he fits to the chain wheel?
I am nearly ready to start work on a couple of Suzuki clutch conversions for my own bikes
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RGS man

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 21.01. 2010 23:31 »
Hello again,
I was at Vintage and Modern in Maddington yesterday, Tony in there also mentioned Colin Tye. I thing maybe it would be a good thing to meet/speak with him, he obviously knows a fair bit!!
Went to a couple of places for chroming and rim polishing yesterday, the prices vary so much, there wasnt much chrome to be done, and the two Dunlop Rims (both of which are in top condition), prices varied from $500 to $950, just about fell off my empty wallet!!! going to some more places today, hopefully to get some sensible quotes. Just ordered some stuff from Lyford Classics in the UK and some stainless from Barleycorn engineering, both very helpfull. You are correct, postage from the UK to WA stupid money!
cheers   RGS man. aka Mark
PS the replica looks pretty good.
1963 RGS
1970 Commando Fastbck
1973 Cb750/4
2009 Yamaha XJR 1300
2002 GSXR 600

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.01. 2010 00:25 »
John,
The bearing is a WTW R22RS. It is a bit of a rare beast, used in automotive clutches.

It is sealed both sides, 1 3/8" x 2 1/2" x 1/2"

Mark,
You are using the right people in Lyford Classic Services. Their service, and ability to supply is excellent. They have become my favourite UK supplier.

Richard

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.01. 2010 19:14 »
Thanks Richard,
I'll start the search!!!
Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RGS man

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 25.01. 2010 07:43 »
Hi Chaterlea,
Funnily enough, I'm a member of the Classic riders Club of WA and one of our members gave me Johns Ph no over the weekend, I will give him a call, I'm sure he will be able to give me some sound advice. Cant do muich to the old girl at the moment, most of the stuff I sent away, is still away, probably be at least a week before some of it starts coming back. Got some bits coming from Lyford Classics and Barleycorn (stainless gearbox adjuster.... 44 pounds  OUCH), but it will look nice!! Once Its back together, I will get the head off, maybe I'll do it before, its a very long time since I took a head off, I do have the tools etc at home, but I'm more than a bit apprehensive about it. I will have a ponder over it, I will look a right idiot if I stuff it up though wouldnt I? Mind you judjing by the good advice I have seen appearing on this site, if I get stuck I only have to ask i suppose.
Cheers  Mark
1963 RGS
1970 Commando Fastbck
1973 Cb750/4
2009 Yamaha XJR 1300
2002 GSXR 600