Author Topic: Adventures and Old Pics  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
Adventures and Old Pics
« on: 03.08. 2012 05:08 »
Hi All;
Trailered the bike back up north for some vacation riding in upstate NY and had a great time with friends and family. Had a few problems but managed to put over 300 miles on the odometer. First 100 mile run was on some of the best mc roads I have ever been on with no problems. Next time out the screen on the SRM sump conversion got partially blocked with some gasket sealer and pumped oil out the breather. Fortunately I discovered it before it emptied the oil tank. Had to go get the trailer that time. Nearly 80 miles round trip with my brother in law guarding the bike while I went and got it. Screen was upside down, my fault. Later on had both fuel tap corks start leaking. Wrapping them with teflon tape stopped the leaks but will have to fix them properly soon. Only other mishap was a lost oil tank cap. Must have left it loose. *problem* ??? Moved the primary oil cap to the oil tank and used some duct tape on the primary. Not pretty but worked well enough.
Spent some time with my Dad and dug thru some old pictures with him. Found out that the '61 Golden Flash was his third BSA after a '58 Flash and a '61 Super Rocket. Pictures enclosed. The '58 had some miles on it but the other two were taken when they were new. That's me on the '61 Flash! He didn't feel up to any riding but was happy to see the old girl again in riding condition. Hope to make the trip again as there are many more roads to explore! Gary

Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Adventures and Old Pics
« Reply #1 on: 03.08. 2012 07:33 »
Terrific photos Gary.

Glad you had a good time even with a couple of teething troubles.

Now have I got this right, the bike you are sitting on as a young lad your Dad bought new and it is the bike you now have ?

Well done.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 03.08. 2012 08:56 »
 Great stuff Gary. You just gave us a clue as to your age  *smile*. 1961 bike with 10 year old on it. I love looking at old photos.
Sounds like you had a good time with just enough hickups to make it memorable.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #3 on: 03.08. 2012 13:36 »
Brian; Your right! Of course I didn't know it would work out this way at the time but am glad it did. I gave a short history in my first post when I signed on to the forum.

Muskrat; I know I looked about 10 but was actually almost 14. Not quite old enough or big enough to convince my Dad to let me ride it tho. Had to wait until he gave it to me with the motor in boxes a couple of years ago!

Gary

edit: Kinda wish he had kept all 3, especially the Rocket, but back then $1063 dollars was a lot of money!
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 03.08. 2012 15:10 »
Great pics Gary,
Though I think you need to get an "After" picture. Same place, same bike, same person.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 04.08. 2012 00:02 »
Great pictures Gary,
Always good to get pictures of new bikes, they are great references when restoring.
Great pic of the S/R, looks bloody cold though, surely you guys don't ride in the snow
though......"do you!"

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #6 on: 04.08. 2012 02:13 »
Hi cus;
Well, of course if you mean like this? Not on the BSA tho!
I am willing to ride down to about 45-50 deg around here, NC.
For the more observant, the picture says May 62 but probably wasn't developed right away.
tombeau; An interesting idea but the present owners might not understand!
Gary

Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 05.08. 2012 11:20 »
Black Flash, thanks for the story & pictures.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline cableguide

• Moving Up
  • south coast uk
« Reply #8 on: 05.09. 2012 20:22 »
I just love those export rockets with all the fancy extras, oval grips, handlebar guides, shorty mudguard, even the seats seem a nicer shape than the home ones....lovely pics, thanks for showing.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 06.09. 2012 12:17 »
nice story and pictures Gary, it's great that you've kept the bike in the family, bet your old man had a lump in his throat when he saw her again looking so good after all these years ,well done and enjoy the rides out BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom