The BSA A7-A10 Forum

Bikes, Pictures, Stories & more => Chat, Offtopic, Meetings & Everything Else => Topic started by: JDFitz on 27.12. 2008 01:12

Title: Engine disassembly of my mystery A10
Post by: JDFitz on 27.12. 2008 01:12
Just thought I'd share a little bit of progress made on my A10. The pistons were almost at top dead center when this motorcycle was discarded in the woods on its side with no carb or exhaust on it. As I figured the piston rings had probably rusted to the walls. After soaking the tops of the pistons with penatrating oil every day for the last couple of months, I decided to remove the dynamo and jug in preparation for engine and transmission removal. I expected the worse. The right piston was stuck in its bore, probably due to the exhast valve being open. With some help from my brother and my trusty piston hammer, and a lot of patience and finess, I finally got the jug off. Much to my suprise, other than some light surface rust where the rings were, the bores are spotless. I couldn't see any score marks on the walls or pistons, nor any ridge at the top of the bores, and noticed the pistons are .040" over. I will check the bores with my micrometer, but I am hoping that the cylinders will clean up with a bit of honing.
I still have a lot of work left to do, but so far, everything is looking good. 
Title: Re: Engine disassembly of my mystery A10
Post by: A10Boy on 30.12. 2008 13:46
Good news, hope it dont need a rebore.