Author Topic: Spooky ship down the mersey towards liverpool  (Read 384 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Spooky ship down the mersey towards liverpool
« on: 02.11. 2015 15:38 »
Hi, totally non BSA so please excuse , but just returning to our office when this caught my eye , I was at about a further mile away when first saw it and as it was foggy with a low sun behind it it just looked spooky . I could only see the top sections then and it wasn't until I got down by the shore that I understood what it was , but I tell you I wouldn'y like to be on that in the Mersey estuary when it's blowing a gale. Hope you can see it ,Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Spooky ship down the mersey towards liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 02.11. 2015 16:12 »
Also just in the left corner if you enlarge you'll see what looks like an idiot going for swim, it is in fact one of Anthony Gormleys Iron men ,theres about 100 of 'em scattered up and down the beach from Seaforth to Crosby.
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.11. 2015 17:40 »
Bob,

First of all, this is "Chat, Offtopic & Diverse", so there should be no need to apologize for non-BSA. Here you should be able to talk about your grandkids or your pedicure. The disinterested can look away.

Maybe what you were seeing was the arival of the quay cranes from China, as mentioned here: http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/mersey-land-reclamation-ready-to-start-at-liverpool-2/

Otherwise I would think it is either a container ship at a quay getting loaded or a crane ship used to transfer containers from a no-crane quay to another ship tied alongside.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.11. 2015 17:53 »
Oops! That didn't take long to confirm. Seems I was right.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/recap-zhen-hua-transporter-brings-10372778

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 02.11. 2015 18:54 »
Hope their better than the bikes they make. *shh*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 02.11. 2015 20:08 »
Still like to believe it's the "Ferry 'cross the Mersey"...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2015 20:36 »

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.11. 2015 21:03 »
 I knew straight away, had a similar thing;

Friday, 18 February 2005 1:03 pm

I was on a job at Port o' Brisbane, and happened to look up and saw something weird out in the direction of the bay. Was fairly baffled, but after a while this came into the river behind the sand fill, with these critters on board. Looked a lot like Ozzy Ostrich with mates..

(helps if I add the picture *bash*)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2015 21:40 »
We had our delivery in September this year. The link shows the first of a series of videos, which show the ship coming in, berthing and unloading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro46iD2g8Q
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #9 on: 02.11. 2015 22:34 »
Still like to believe it's the "Ferry 'cross the Mersey"...

Could be....  maybe they added more scaffold ?   *doh*   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08083BNaYcA
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.11. 2015 04:03 »
Big Beatles fan (I know, I was the only one) but also liked the music of Gerry and the Pacemakers. Looking back, and after listening to the video, I think it's because they had a moodier soulfulness. Again, looking (listening?) back, Gerry had a bit of a Gene Pitney sound, which I liked. (I may be officially old.)

Richard L

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.11. 2015 08:34 »
Gerry had a bit of a Gene Pitney sound, which I liked. (I may he officially old.)

no - old - that would be Dickie Valentine v Nat King Cole - no contest really but I do have  Dickie's autograph somewhere
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 03.11. 2015 10:56 »
Yep, you're right Richard sussed out what it was about 5 mins after getting home ,all over the local TV news .I'm another Beatles nut and there are quite a few places  related to that era, close by , Litherland Town hall where they played one of there first gigs AND Bootle town hall and of course the New brighton Ball room across the water. The remaining members of quiet a few groups get together at the Latham club in seaforth every Thursday. Anyone ever heard of a group called " the undertakers " they are still going after over 50 yrs and one of my neighbours at 73 yrs young ,a proff musician Bass player , as just been asked to join them . The ferry across the Mersey "was closer than you thought  Morris this drilling ship is part of the  new ferry terminal from Seaforth to Seacombe ,been planned for so long I'd forgotten , it's at the end of the container port which is being upgraded to take the new super bulk carrier's and hopefully will attract a lot more people to what is a spectacular shoreline ,the sunsets at Christmas time and mid June at totally mind blowing.  ,Mr Gormleys iron men have been there for a few years now so are well established ,theres a marine lake and a nature reserve which also doubles as the container ports pumping reserve so all in all going to make a big difference to the local area. What a change ,for the better , in 50 yrs  one our groups favourite expressions when asked where we were  from was " Sunny Seaforth , where the sewers meet the sea " no any more water getting better every year , Lobsters all over the wrecks that still litter the channel and a Salmon reported caught at new brighton earlier this year, cheers Bob
United Kingdom

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 04.11. 2015 13:20 »
That's another great thing about this forum - 'You make me feel so young ...'
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza