Author Topic: What was your first bike ?  (Read 1079 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What was your first bike ?
« Reply #15 on: 05.11. 2015 17:50 »
I owned a couple of machines just to improve and sell for a profit.
Honda CD175 and Puch 125

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 05.11. 2015 18:06 »
my  first bike was a 1955 triumph speed twin passed my test on it at 16 first time the clutch cable snapped just before the end of the test

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 05.11. 2015 19:18 »
Something tells me that big hair was in the 70's! *clap*

I used to be able to produce hair like that. Gone all they way past embarrassment now and on to envy. Rock on.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: 05.11. 2015 22:09 »
When I was 16, you could only ride a 50cc bike. For any larger you had to be 18 and have a car drivers licence. Up until the end of the 80's we didn't have a specific motorcycle licence.
At 16 my dad bought me a Yamaha SS 50 (FS1E). His mother, who lived next door and was a deeply religious woman, thought I was going to go straight to hell. Which I did then, more or less...
After a year or so I sold it on to buy me a Zundapp KS 50 from a mate. When I stood on his doorstep with the money he didn't want to sell it anymore. When my dad found out I sold the Yamaha he was barking mad and took away the money... So there I was without a bike and no more money.
Some time later a relative gave me a Zundapp KS50 he had in the back of his shed, so I was back on two wheels. Ran it down completely. Wish I still had it though. Looks a bit like a BSA no?
After that life got on and in the way and it was only about 35 years later when I finally got back to two wheeled transport. The right one this time...!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 05.11. 2015 23:03 »
I seem to recall a time when 50cc motorbikes in the UK had footrests that folded to become pedals to make the machine legally a moped. Did that Fizzy do that?

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 06.11. 2015 00:23 »
I seem to recall a time when 50cc motorbikes in the UK had footrests that folded to become pedals to make the machine legally a moped. Did that Fizzy do that?

Yes, they had to in order to be classed as a moped that a 16 year old could ride.

I tried it once on my Honda SS50, it was physically impossible to pedal quick enough to get going fast enough to keep your balance.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
« Reply #21 on: 06.11. 2015 01:30 »
my fs1dx had pedals but also had a seperate kick starter...

i seem to recall it had front disc brake as well...i do remember it was yellow with black and white go faster stripe on the tank that made you go like Kenny Roberts....well at least in your dreams

some fun times were had on a fizzy

S

Scotty
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #22 on: 06.11. 2015 09:19 »
My first was a Honda C50, step-through.  Bought for £17 and sold for £18, in about 1970.  Never rode that one on the road as I was still only 15.

And the rest...?

First bike to go on the road was a BSA C15 SS80, bought for £30.  Rode that one for a year or so from age 16.  Sold it for £60 (didn't have the cash for insurance) and acquired a Mobylette 50cc for riding to school.  Kept that up until the crash helmet law came in.

Around that time I also had a silver grey Royal Enfield Continental GT, the pretty 250 with fly screen and clip-ons.  Bought that in bits and sold it still in (fewer) bits.  Think I got £60 for that one too.

A couple of other 50cc runarounds followed.  A Suzuki 2-stroke that would only run when the (very clogged up) silencer was removed.  Then a Yamaha step-through, which I did a lot of miles on (living in Edgware during term time with girl friend in north Kent - Wendy, where are you now?).

In 1974 the Yamaha, with automatic clutch, was good enough to get me through my bike test.  The next day I was out on a BSA A65 Lightning that I had paid £225 for.

The Lightning stayed on the road for a few years and in that time (1976) I bought my first A10 - the RGS I still have, bought as a rolling chassis with the engine in a tea chest, in pieces and incomplete.  The bike had been in a fire and the owner had started restoration but then was about to emigrate.  Paid £150 for that one!  Finally on the road in 2005/6.

Sold the Lightning for £350, with Craven rack and panniers, in 1978'ish to fund my first car (VW Beetle).

In the interim (1986) I bought another A10, 1959 reg Super Rocket, initially for a spare engine for the RGS but it was too complete to break.  Finished a 2-year rebuild of that one this year (2015).

Last of all bought another A10 - a very tidy replica Rocket Gold Star that was originally a 1957 Super Rocket.  Paid too much for that but couldn't resist it.

What next, I wonder?

Happy riding - Terry.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #23 on: 06.11. 2015 10:33 »
My first bike was a Raleigh RM1. No gears, a peg to engage or disengage the drive, & impossible to pedal, but----you had to. As there was no clutch, you had to pedal whilst using the decompressor, then release the decompressor lever & with any luck the single speed machine would whisk you up to 30mph! A Norman Nippy followed with two gears then a brand new NSU Quickly with three gears. It needed three gears as it was a two seater! In the days of the miniskirt, it was interesting to get ones girlfriend on the back! We once rode from Plymouth to Portsmouth, about 170 miles, in about eight hours for 5/3(27p in modern money) worth of petrol. Couldn't face another bout of saddle soreness so came back by train. After that, it was a T21, a heavily rebuilt A7, then a DBD34. One could say I was progressing upwards!
In more recent years, being a wrinkley, I've had a couple of BMWs, Yamahas, a Honda, T100 Bonnie & quite a few classics but, looking back, I suppose one's first bike is always remembered with affection. It cost £15 &, two years later, sold for £17.10.00, one of the few vehicles I've ever made money on.
Happy Days!
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 06.11. 2015 14:39 »
First was a Honda 50 step-through. Mostly ridden around fields and woods, as I wasn't old enough for a driver's license. Nevertheless got my first ticket on it (for driving/riding without a license). Passed my test on it when I turned 16. After about a week on the street realized it was way too slow and got a '61 Zundapp Super Sabre. A year later that was too slow, so got a Honda 305 Super Hawk. Followed by a series of 2 stroke Japanese junkers until after college when I finally could afford the Britbikes that I always wanted (but couldn't afford).

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 06.11. 2015 15:37 »
First was a Honda 50 step-through...
I was a Honda and Puch mechanic in the early 70's. I discovered that those small Japanese machines were really excellent. I think I'm correct to say that the Honda step-through machines are the worlds most successful motorcycle. They replaced human and donkey power in many countries and make ideal commuter machines in other places. They are reliable, easy to ride, well protected from the weather and great fun, especially the larger engines:  we used to pop wheelies on the Honda 90's!
When I had a holiday in Tunisia a few years ago it was not unusual to see dad driving a step-through with a child standing in front of him, his wife riding side-saddle on the pillion and a trailer attached with a couple more kids!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: 06.11. 2015 19:39 »
I'll start this with mine, living in France at age 14, a neighbour gave me an old Solex. Was happy like an ape with a banana :O) and spent endless hours just using petrol and driving around aimlessly.

They still are extremely popular in Holland. On Sundays they have club gatherings and drive out all dressed in long leather coats and caps. Charming sight.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 16.11. 2015 18:37 »
When I was 16, you could only ride a 50cc bike. For any larger you had to be 18 and have a car drivers licence. Up until the end of the 80's we didn't have a specific motorcycle licence.
At 16 my dad bought me a Yamaha SS 50 (FS1E). His mother, who lived next door and was a deeply religious woman, thought I was going to go straight to hell. Which I did then, more or less...
After a year or so I sold it on to buy me a Zundapp KS 50 from a mate. When I stood on his doorstep with the money he didn't want to sell it anymore. When my dad found out I sold the Yamaha he was barking mad and took away the money... So there I was without a bike and no more money.
Some time later a relative gave me a Zundapp KS50 he had in the back of his shed, so I was back on two wheels. Ran it down completely. Wish I still had it though. Looks a bit like a BSA no?
After that life got on and in the way and it was only about 35 years later when I finally got back to two wheeled transport. The right one this time...!
strange calling your gran his mother next door religious or not

Offline bobandbec

• Moving Up
« Reply #28 on: 16.11. 2015 23:03 »
BSA Bantam 175cc. 1950's bike I had from 1968 to 70. Travelled many happy miles on it although it had a habit of stopping just when it felt like it. The gears gave up in the end and I gave it away as a freebie because I had nowhere to keep it. We were an odd bunch then as we travelled around together- Honda 50, Bantam 125, couple of scooters and me on the 175. Happy days.
Peter

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: 17.11. 2015 00:29 »
I had a James 150, Villiers engine, I think the model was 'Cadet'. We used to thrash it around the local woods. We managed to outrun a police car on an unmade road on that bike. Basically we used to trawl the local council estate for bikes which had been left behind coal sheds when owners had moved on to cars. We bought these old bikes for silly money (My James was £2, and I remember buying a Triumph Thunderbird sprung hub for £2 for the whole bike, not just the sprung hub!), then we put knobbly tyres on them and thrashed them until they were wrecked and just before they were so wrecked that they were unrideable we'd sell them to other local kids who would wring the last couple of drops of life out of them. I murdered a 125 Bantam and an Excelsior 200 this way. My first bike on the road was a 250 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports which was a bl**dy good bike. I thrashed that everywhere, it really howled when you revved it through the gears,  and it never broke and it was a lot faster than a C15. My first BSA on the road was a very early A50 which  I bought when I was 17. I used to ride it to school every day. On the way home there was a hump backed railway bridge where I used to get the whole thing airborne, by about a foot, which would have been OK but I usually had my mate on the back who thought it was a great laugh. Oh the folly of youth!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk