Author Topic: troublesome front wheel Bearing sleeve  (Read 546 times)

Offline Lordbob

• Active
troublesome front wheel Bearing sleeve
« on: 10.11. 2015 19:05 »
Hi Everyone

Commenced my A7 rebuild by firstly refurbishing both wheels, rear wheel is going ok but i have a problem with the front,
specifically the bearing sleeve (65-5889) and the removal of the spindle nut (65-5893).

This nut needs to come off so that i can get the cover and felt washer (which has completely disintegrated) off and the bearing which needs replacing. The service sheets i have vary a little on the diagram of the arrangement of the hub but the best view is the one on Draganfly's website

Can anyone advise me whether the large nut is left or right hand thread? also any practical tips on how to secure the shaft in the vice as it keeps turning in the soft jaws. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the centre of the sleeve for a bolt which will help to secure the sleeve in the vice or am i being a complete numpty

cheers Bob

2005 HD Heritage Softail Classic, 1999 Triumph Thunderbird 900, BSA A 7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: troublesome front wheel Bearing sleeve
« Reply #1 on: 10.11. 2015 20:33 »
HI Bob,
I'm assuming from your part numbers that you have the early 7in. single sided hub ??
As  here?
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a65anda50/category/915-3-front-wheel-7-a-b-m-group
The nut is right hand as its the same part number as the one on the brake plate

I would try bolting up the opposite end withe bearing and brake plate and tightening up the brake side nut tight, a spare nut would be useful as a locknut ???
Then try and loosen the other end?
If this fails, lock up the brake plate side nut again, take it and a suitable size socket to your local tyre depot and get them to use their rattle gun on it

Another way is maybe to remove the split sleeve from the LH fork leg and fit in the oposite end of the hollow sleeve, I think they are tha same size?? if they are, tighten the pinch bolt to lock the sleeve and spanner on the offending nut

HTH
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Lordbob

• Active
Re: troublesome front wheel Bearing sleeve
« Reply #2 on: 10.11. 2015 21:22 »
 Thanks John

Your assumption is correct and thanks for the suggestions i will give it a go tomorrow

Bob
2005 HD Heritage Softail Classic, 1999 Triumph Thunderbird 900, BSA A 7