Author Topic: seat mounts  (Read 579 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
seat mounts
« on: 14.11. 2015 01:03 »
Well, I finally got around to finishing my seat, now I have to figure how to mount it. I bought a front mount. The parts books show a rubber block between the seat and mount, but I like the way it sits without one. the center bracket shown in the pictures is what was on the seat pan when I got it. They look like they will bolt through the fender, but that'd be crazy, IMO. Too much stress in the fender. None of this is original. The frame is '54, the rear fender is RGS and the seat pan unknown. The fender is not yet mounted, as I'm working out details before I start drilling holes. I'm thinking I can bend up some heavy gauge sheet metal and make brackets to bolt to the seat bottom where the present bracket is, then bolt to the frame at the shock mounts and the holes forward of the shock mounts. If anyone has ideas/suggestions for a better way I'd love to hear it.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: seat mounts
« Reply #1 on: 14.11. 2015 01:06 »
forgot to attach the pictures

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2015 07:41 »
keep in mind the later seats like the one shown in the pic are supported by bolts and rubbers where the springs for a solo saddle would bolt on.
I recall an earlier seat I think I have in the shed has rubber bungs running along the frame rails under the riders butt.
So in both cases the seat is well supported for the rider and even the rear effectively cantilevered off the front mount then just fastened at the rear.
I'll try and find the seat and post an image, although there's a beesa run on tomorrow which will take priority
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2015 08:08 »
If your frame is a '54 originally your seat would have mounted with the bracket at the front but additionally would have two 5/16 BSCY studs which protrude near the rear of the seat. These studs pass through a saddle shaped steel strap which is bolted across the top of the rear mudguard. Also there are two bolts rising from the frame (threads at corners of the cross member behind the battery) with rubber bungs on the top. Also there would be rubber blocks fitted under the seat pan which sit on the frame rails alongside and above the battery compartment. Your first picture shows the correct mount for the rear of the seat but there is an additional mount attached below it.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.11. 2015 11:54 »
Thanks, guys. That makes sense. The rear just being cantilevered off the front explains the cracking in my other pan. Must have had a heavy passenger. Making brackets to go to the solo seat mounts will actually be easier than what I was considering. I definitely need to get (or make) the rubbers to rest on the frame rails. I've already scratched the hell out of them with the fiddling I've been doing. No matter. Easy to touch up, and I'm trying to build a rider, not a show bike.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 14.11. 2015 19:41 »
Shame seats are reasonably weighty to post,  as this was off a '55 and I'll never use it...
But photos fyi, the front brackets somewhere too.
The earlier seats are a slimmer look...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.11. 2015 16:07 »
Darn, wouldn't that be nice to have one that just bolts right on! Oh, but then I'd miss out on the fun of figuring out how to make what I've got work.   *smile*