Author Topic: Amercian imports of classic bikes back to the UK.  (Read 364 times)

Online Billybream

• Valued Contributor
Why is there so many British Classic bikes coming back home by the container load
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Amercian imports of classic bikes back to the UK.
« Reply #1 on: 17.11. 2015 20:11 »
Hi Billy,
This has been happening for 20 years or more at one level or another 
the present swell in the trade is due to the strength of the UK £ in my opinion

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 17.11. 2015 20:49 »
Hi Billy another reason is that the USA was the biggest export for British bikes so they have the probably  more bikes lying around in sheds than we ever had. *smiley4*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2015 20:57 »
If we do, A7s and A10s are not making it to Ebay, because Ebay U.K. always has many for sale, while Ebay U.S. always has few.  I don't think that's because they're all being shipped to the U.K., but maybe.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2015 23:04 »
HI All,
Yes, The American continent is vast indeed, so there is lots of hiding places still unsearched !!!

Would this bike have lain unused since 1966 anywhere in UK or Europe !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321899276308?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 17.11. 2015 23:27 »
An old issue of Classic Bike that I've kept (with an article on Rocket Goldies 1989?) has an article about buying USA bikes and shipping them back to England. They gave some examples of prices..... 120 pounds for A65, 300-400 for a Commando. It was true at the time, I bought and sold a number of them back then. Prices have gone way up since, although it's still possible to find what I consider junk for very low prices. A good running, original Triumph Daytona will bring about $3500. A running Commando, minimum $5000. Early (pre-71) Bonnevilles are pretty hot at the moment. A65s a bit cheaper. I guess accounting for inflation, that's still not bad, but it seems like a lot to me. And as Richard said, pre-units are quite scarce. I've lusted after a Velo Venom and an Enfield Connie or Interceptor for at least 30 years and have never seen one I could begin to afford. Matchless, Ariel or AJS I've only seen in bike shows, and very few at that. Unit Triumphs are by far the most common here in the western US, BSAs had higher relative popularity in the east.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 18.11. 2015 08:23 »
If you were a dealer and you found a market you would then find a source to feed that demand. It would appear to me to be a case of timing, no more barn finds here and unwanted vehicles there.
I have 2 US imports and am glad to have bought complete motorcycles, as I no longer buy basket cases. Always thought the US economy was struggling and exporting the cars and motorcycles was a way to cash up? Perhaps our fellow forum members from over the pond could confirm or deny this?
Cheers TC
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 19.11. 2015 16:34 »
Theres a dealer on Merseyside , hawkshaw@btconnect.com;    deals on the net only but had a vast range of BSA stuff supposedly container loads, supposedly  from India. He'd been a ships engineer and had acquired the stuff via contacts made while on his trips so a few years ago there must have been a fair amount lying around on foreign fields ! I've never bought anything from him as I knew him form a local shop and he was an awkward guy to deal with ,wanted to show his knowledge of BSA's before selling anything, so was to much of an effort to deal with him. no personal connection with me but it may be of help to someone.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.11. 2015 23:34 »
I think a lot of the unit construction is very common over here. What we're missing is a lot of the twenties and thirties and forties bikes if you guys have over there, those are the types of things we don't have any of. I can go on Craigslist over here  and find three Norton's but none later than 69. Even plunger a7 and a10s are rare over here and I've never seen a rigid bsa. But on the other hand, you have to mind your step or you will trip over a Harley.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 22.11. 2015 19:56 »
regarding barn finds in the uk people will pay nearly as much for a rusty heap as they would for a nut and bolt rebuild because its the satisfaction of turning this into this as we all like to do and at the end of the day they are getting scarce so people will look at the wider market and bikes from warmer climes are often better