Author Topic: Footrest distance piece  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Steggen

• Active
Footrest distance piece
« on: 19.11. 2015 22:06 »
Hi,
new guy on this forum. I have question regarding the distance piece or footrest support (part no 65-4811) on my -57 A10. For the last decade or so I have had rearsets on this bike but now I want a more upright riding position and have started to reinstall the original footrestes. On the right side, mounting the footrest support is straight forward but on the left side getting this piece in place is not that easy. What is the easiest way of getting the footrest support in place ? Do I have to remove the primary case or is there an easy way out ?

http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/966-riders-footrests

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Footrest distance piece
« Reply #1 on: 20.11. 2015 00:42 »
Hello Steggen, on my 1960 model Super Rocket I can remove/replace the footrest interface part without removing the primary case(s). With the footrest removed and the long stud withdrawn the interface piece can be disengaged from the gearbox plate and removed from between the frame tube and gearbox plate, that is from underneath the primary and final drive sprocket. This surprised me because I have welded a collar onto the splined sleeve to act as a stop, limiting engagement of the footrest owing to worn splines.
On my replica RGS the rearsets and standard bars make for a very comfortable riding position, in my opinion.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Steggen

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 21.11. 2015 19:35 »
Thanks Terry,
I will have another go at getting it in place without removing anything.
As for the riding position I agree it's quite comfortable with teh rearsets, but a couple of troublesom knees prefere a less sharp angle.

Anders

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 21.11. 2015 20:18 »
Needs a bit of wiggling but can be done without removing the primary case.
If I remember well from last time I did this, I turned it upside down, entered it, turned it back and pushed it in the slot.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2015 23:49 »
If I remember well from last time I did this, I turned it upside down, entered it, turned it back and pushed it in the slot.
I think you might be doing it wrong  *roll*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 22.11. 2015 08:36 »
I think you might be doing it wrong  *roll*

I already felt that one coming... *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Steggen

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 26.11. 2015 09:48 »
Had another go at getting the distance piece in place last night With no success. One problem may be the final drive chaicase. I belive my bike may have had a fully enclosed chaicase at some point and the front part of this is still mounted. This leaves little room for getting the distance piece in place. Any comments ?

Anders

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2015 14:30 »
Anders, as this is one job that I have always felt was easy to sort I'd say that something is out kilter .On my primary side last year I had to weld the distance piece to footpeg due to wear on the splines . It is more of struggle to fit it but not by much just needed to be jiggled. Normally  I'd simply feed through the long bolt having loosened my exhaust pipe (Siamese system so primary side is clear ) to allow access from that side push through until just seen in with the distance piece turning to get it to engage with the peg hole on the plate ,footpeg over the bottom rail and onto correct spline and then that bloody big nut ,not forgetting a shake proof washer and the jobs done. So if it's not working out like that check the bits . Has the footpeg been bent ,I've one that's a lovely shape , the splined distance piece, one is shorter, you haven't got 2 the same length have you? or could it be off another model, make ,some pre unit trumpets used something similar but a bit longer . I hope you don't think I'm stating the obvious but this job shouldn't this complicated. I hope you sort it quickly cos this type of thing is bloody infuriating , best of luck Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #8 on: 26.11. 2015 15:27 »
Definitely no chain guard in the way on mine. I can see that it could make fitting the distance piece more difficult.

TD - welding the footrest to the distance piece sounds a bit drastic but I can understand a certain amount of frustration leading to that solution.
Terry

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 26.11. 2015 15:55 »
Hi terry, certainly was , I'd tried several jumbles and couldn't find any replacements so that was the only way to continue riding .Until I posted this I'd forgotten about doing it but it worked . I dropped the bike about 3 yrs ago and thought I'd gotten away without any damage ,then wham the left peg let fly and then 3 mths later had problems with the other as well . Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online BVSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.11. 2015 17:01 »
Hi,

I had the same problem!

Cheers Markku
Markku
A7 1961    A10GF 1954    A10GF 1960    A10GF 1961 sidecar    A10SR 1958    A10SR 1959 
A10SR 1960   A10SR -61  A10SR 1963    A10SR 1963   A65T 1968    A65L 1968   B25SS 1971    B31 1952  
B31 1952   B33 1947  B33 1951   DBD34 GS 1958    NSU Supermax 1962    Husqvarna 510TE 1984
Finland[/iu

Offline Steggen

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 26.11. 2015 18:31 »
Finding a new one was not that difficult. They are sold on ebay and made in India......

Bob, as for fitting the distance piece, there is no problem on the timing side and, yes I have one long and one short distance piece. On the primary side the problem is that there is not enugh space between the frametube an primary cover to just slide it in place. I have tried getting it in place from undreneath the bike between the primary case and frame crosstube or between the crosstube and the front part of the chaincase. Either way the diameter of the  "flang" on the distance piece is to large to get it in place.

Anders

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 26.11. 2015 18:43 »
I've never seen them pinned
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 26.11. 2015 19:04 »
In another post I've described my unsuccessful search for a replacement spline pair to weld on and press in/weld.
One solution has been described that would use part of a 12 point socket and an appropriate nut as sources of interlocking repair parts. I've not tried it yet.
Terry

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 26.11. 2015 21:03 »
Hi All,
A couple of years ago I needed to repair the footrest mounts on a Huntmaster frame
They have the same spline size as BSA
I got  BSA splined distance tubes and cut them  down and welded  them into place
I got them with the other parts I needed for the Ariel from Draganfly, quality seemed ok
SInce then Drags advertise them as repair parts for Ariels  *roll*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)