Author Topic: suzuki clutch conversion  (Read 8747 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
suzuki clutch conversion
« on: 20.11. 2015 00:56 »
Sorry if this has been done before, but I've tried searching the forum and the internet to no avail. Suzuki GS550 clutches are cheap and readily available. What I haven't found is details on how to go about fitting it to the A10. The Pearson conversion is 525 pounds plus shipping. I can buy a complete used Suzuki clutch for $40-50 US. As I need 2 of them this is potentially a huge savings. Can someone direct me to the details on what is involved to machine and install it?

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: suzuki clutch conversion
« Reply #2 on: 20.11. 2015 13:37 »
The Pearson conversion is 525 pounds plus shipping. I can buy a complete used Suzuki clutch for $40-50 US.

...or a couple of complete used Suzukis for the price of the Pearson clutch. (No knock on the Pearson, it's probably great.)

Richard L.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 20.11. 2015 19:53 »
It is Richard! I took a deep breath and bought one a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. Admittedly my old clutch was a bit past it but fitting the Pearson one transformed the bike.....it felt like I'd fitted a new gearbox too! Much lighter to use, never slips, nicer feel to the gearchange and never a problem finding neutral. The price has gone up quite a bit I know but I could see there was a lot of work in it, as far as I recall the outer basket was his own manufacture, all the parts were new and it came with a nicely made sliding plate with oil seal.....

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 23.12. 2015 06:09 »
Thanks to Orabanda I've just installed & now running a Suzuki GS550 ... 
I dont know why the hell I ever persisted trying to get the BSA 6 spring operational..
I took bike out for a run today & can report every thing is working perfectly,
I can even select neutral with the motor running..  *eek*
I'm VERY happy with mine..   out with the old... in with the new..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 23.12. 2015 06:12 »
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #6 on: 26.12. 2015 05:28 »
Wozza is that a commercial conversion kit or did you knock it up yourself?  Certainly looks the business  *smile*
After pulling the clutch on my project '62 Super Rocket I'm pretty much inclined to go the Suzuki path myself.
 Initial issue was fairly obvious
Australia
"The older I get the better I was"

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 26.12. 2015 07:16 »
G'day oldvet...  *eek*  it's a Colin Tie built clutch, Orabanda, ( Richard )
was going to build me one much the same, but due to work commitments etc,
& rather than hold me up decided to send me one of his.. 
Just in time for Christmas..   *smile*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.12. 2015 16:23 »
HI Oldvet,
Obviously something very out of line or other major issue going on there???
Were you trying to run a dry primary?
Or a chainwheel made of cheese??
No matter which clutch you replace it with  you need to resolve the underlying problem??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 26.12. 2015 20:21 »
mate fitted same to his 500 goldie for classic racing never been a problem

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 27.12. 2015 01:57 »
I have one almost identical to Wozza's and the mainchallenge with the conversion was fabricating a centre.
Depending upon whether you have a tapered main shaft or the splined type, this will vary and acts as the bearing carrier and locates the alloy plate centre.
My engineer made a tapered centre and unfortunately as its all assembled I cannot readily post an image. (I'll check my stored images just in case)
I initially fitted a dural sprocket but that did wear far faster than I wanted (running dry admittedly) so I went back to steel and moved it onto a wet/road machine.

The 550 clutch runs a decent basket bearing and the top hat bearing. We did reduce the height of the basket and refitted the steel supporting ring. Clutches do work better when they have teeth for the chain to run on.

The Suzie conversion is a good option for a wet road clutch and I recall we have had threads on people going down the belt path with them too.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #11 on: 01.01. 2016 03:47 »
famous last words "my clutch is all assembled"; removed the primary this afternoon to get the swing arm out so took some pictures of the centre we did for my suzuki clutch. Not a pearson or anything fancy, just a local engineer, externally it looks like the other images, top hat bearing, retains steel ring etc
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.01. 2016 00:38 »
 This is really interesting to all of us I am sure. A phil pearson would be almost $900.00 with shipping for me. I called a local breaker, he quoted me $15-$20 dollars for a gs 550 clutch. They are not rare, or a hot commodity at all over here.

Is anyone in the process of converting one of these right now, or has one they could take specific measures off of? I am really thinking about giving this a shot, I have access to the equipment needed, and a desire to save $700+ dollars.  *eek*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #13 on: 19.01. 2016 08:20 »
HI Oldvet,
Obviously something very out of line or other major issue going on there???
Were you trying to run a dry primary?
Or a chainwheel made of cheese??
No matter which clutch you replace it with  you need to resolve the underlying problem??

John

John this is how it was when I bought it.  Alignment not the issue, chain tension was the problem. The previous rider had no clue and just laid it up when all went pear shaped.  Consequently I now have a very low miles bike and restoration is underway. I've attached a pic of the bike as it was when purchased.
Australia

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #14 on: 19.01. 2016 08:54 »
Thanks for the comments and added info fellas, much appreciated.   
There is now a lot happening with the restoration seeing as I gave it a real boost along over the Christmas break.  Blasted the frame and heavy metal bits, gave it a 2 pak paint job and spent lots of time plating all the zinc bits.
Hubs are refurbished and currently being laced into flanged Akronts with SS spokes.  Tank is now in chrome and handed to my painter along with Oil tank and tool box for paint. 
Magneto & Dyno restored and nice box of parts arrived from Beesamac and some from SRM. Instruments refurbished beautifully by David Woods.  Just waiting for my paid workflow to slow so I can slot the engine and trans into the queue for a rebuild. 

I think I might be a bit optimistic hoping for completion by the All British Rally in April though :(
Australia