Author Topic: rear QD hub  (Read 393 times)

Offline Happy Hans

• Moving Up
rear QD hub
« on: 24.11. 2015 16:24 »
Hello everybody,

again I have a question depending my A 10 parts puzzle.
I have a plunger type rear hub with the bearing locking rings on both sides. I intend to fit the later s/a hub internals into the plunger hub body and also want to use the 54 spindle to fit my 54 swing arm.The part book says that some parts are the same (for example bearings,etc.) and I think I need to use the plunger end cover.
My question is if the conversion of an earlier hub into a 54 hub is possible without too much problems.
If thats too much effort or impossible does anybody want to change his hub or has a spare one for sale?

Cheers, Hans.

Offline kiwi george

• Active
Re: rear QD hub
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2015 18:59 »
Hi Hans, if the bearings are ok in the plunger hub just make up brass bushes to suit the s/a axle shaft o/d and press them into into the axle bearings I did this on my 54 s/a basket case as I was supplied a plunger rear hub have now done over 10000 miles with no problems

Offline Happy Hans

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2015 19:53 »
Hi George,

when I look in the parts book the bearings on both hubs has the same part numbers so I think that the  different spindles have the same outer diameter, that means 
that I can use a s/a spindle in the plunger hub with its bearings, the bearings I have looks to be in good order.

Hans.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2015 20:19 »
Hans,
             From memory, which is failing fast, you machine the threaded section off and use the swinging arm cover.
The only bearing different in the rear wheel is the brake drum one.

Offline Happy Hans

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2015 20:37 »
You mean to machine the threads of that it fits between the swing arm because this wouldn' if I use the plunger end cap? Is that right?