Author Topic: Hammerite?  (Read 555 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Hammerite?
« on: 29.11. 2015 16:40 »
I need to touch up some paintwork, (plungers, plunger shrouds, fork crown etc) on my machine that I sprayed with aerosols three years ago. I was thinking of using smooth Hammerite with a soft brush. What's the consensus on Hammerite?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Hammerite?
« Reply #1 on: 29.11. 2015 18:00 »
I have used smooth Hammerite before and found it to be a good quality paint but have never tried to brush it on have always sprayed it on. But what you have to remember is that if you are going to put more than one coat on you have to put any extra coats on the same day, you cannot go back the next day and add another coat it will react and crinkle you have to wait until the paint cures and Hammerite says that can take up to 6 weeks, but I have found that  after 4 weeks I did not have a problem.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.11. 2015 18:10 »
I've used Hammerite smooth on 2 bikes now, both in spray cans and brushed on, it's an art getting a decent finish with both, but possible. It also works well over primer like red oxide and petrol does not affect it.

On the bikes I dealt with rust before applying it, it's ability to use over rust and to prevent further rust I have found "inconsistent"  ;)

I've heard there are some less good versions in some countries due to regs on solvents etc I'm not sure if that's urban myth *dunno* but in NZ we get the one with the original solvents  *eek*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 29.11. 2015 20:04 »
I use it all the time to spray small parts with which I don't want to bother my usual painter.
Gives good finish when sprayed, dries quick but needs a couple of weeks to toughen.
Use it also to "touch up" small chips with a brush but if the surface is to large it'll leave brush marks because it dries so quickly.
Painted the shed's steel doors with it a couple of years ago. Still no sign of rust.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.11. 2015 23:17 »
Used to use and like the smooth hammerite spray but I believe it has changed.  The last tin I bought was thin and had poor coverage and difficult to apply.  Maybe a duff tin but there are other complaints on the net. Smells different too.  Dave

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.11. 2015 09:04 »
Used to use and like the smooth hammerite spray but I believe it has changed.  The last tin I bought was thin and had poor coverage and difficult to apply.  Maybe a duff tin but there are other complaints on the net. Smells different too.  Dave
Bugger!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.11. 2015 12:23 »
you will have to seal it off if you have a repaint or it will react to celly etc
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.