Author Topic: oil feed on/off tap v anti-sump valve  (Read 4221 times)

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: oil feed on/off tap v anti-sump valve
« Reply #30 on: 16.02. 2016 11:37 »
I had a A7 with an engine that was badly damaged by the previous owner fitting a ball valve in the supply, which then stuck & starved the engine of oil. Fortunately repaired by the previous owner.  A factor that owners forget is that when starting, they, quite rightly check the return flow. BUT, to begin with, that flow is only what has collected in the crankcase. It does not mean that oil is being pumped into the engine. One must continue to check until spurts of oil continue from the return pipe for some while to ensure oil is being pumped into the engine & scavenged back.
As has been said before:-  Ball Valve- No, No, No, Sump Drain Plug- Yes, Yes, Yes. Get on your knees & worship. If you are married, you will be used to it!
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 17.02. 2016 10:32 »
Great feedback guys.
Thanks to all.
Great idea dutch regarding draining the tank post ride.
I might put in a tap to do just that.
But the same logic implies that I may forget to fill the tank before the next ride.
Some guys always have to learn the hard way.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 27.02. 2016 22:40 »
SRM Sump plate with a drain bolt-the ONLY safe way!

I went this route.  If the bike sits for more than a week, I'll drain it.  Less than a week, there isn't enough to worry about.  Simple and Safe.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 28.02. 2016 09:39 »

Great idea dutch regarding draining the tank post ride.
I might put in a tap to do just that.
But the same logic implies that I may forget to fill the tank before the next ride.
Some guys always have to learn the hard way.

I really don't think it's such a good idea, but has to be better than some hair-brained ideas and I don't and have no need to do it, but is simply an option. Obviously one would strap the oil container to the crank peddle or twist grip....or similar *dunno*

One thing I have done, is utilise a length of 3mm SS filler rod (welding wire), cut some grooves in it for level indicators and leave it in the oil tank as a dip stick; surely people look in there occasionally to check the level, like before use..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 05.03. 2016 07:01 »
Here is the key-in-valve setup.
Hadn't started the bike three months, no problem, just turn it on and go, no oil on the floor, no messy draining and refilling, no smoking engine due to over filled sump.
Glen

this is the off position. You need to use the ignition key to turn the valve off. Once off, the key won't come away from the valve until oil flow is turned on again

On position. I leave it like this unless the bike is going to sit for an extended period.

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 06.03. 2016 04:42 »
Nice work Glen.
The solution to the random rider's curse.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.