Author Topic: is there more to SRM?  (Read 383 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
is there more to SRM?
« on: 06.12. 2015 01:59 »
 I have visited SRMs website numerous times, am I missing something?

It does not seem they have very many A10 parts on their website. I guess I am comparing them to sites like Draganfly, where it seems you can get just about anything.

I guess what I am after here...are all the parts they sell listed on their website or what am I missing here?
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: is there more to SRM?
« Reply #1 on: 06.12. 2015 03:23 »
Lee,

That's a great question.

I found SRM in my early days of using the web to find parts, starting about 2003. Back then, before they tried to develop a web store, they had their parts lists and prices all in a PDF catalog accessible from their site. To order, you filled in their form and faxed or emailed it to them. The PDF catalog left you wanting for pictures, but was very complete in the parts that were offered. Back in August of this year, SRM sent out emails telling us to expect a whole new look to their site.  I was greatly looking forward to a more complete web store. Unfortunately, a whole new look (with a little bit of new information) is about all we got, with little substance in terms of an online store for anything other than their specialty parts. I believe (hope?) they must be planning to expand the store.   I think that if you phone or email them you can get access to a vast assortment of parts that are not shown on their site.

Now, please make no mistake, I appreciate and like the folks at SRM quite a lot. They have always been very generous with technical help and their time when I've written them or spoken to them by telephone. I have actually spent a fair amount of money with them without ever using their shop services.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.12. 2015 05:15 »

I only started to look at their site about four or five years ago, and it was not massive but ok, bought a few things. Since then as Richard says, there's been a couple of progressive 'upgrades' (downgrades?), and last time I looked recently,  like you Coater figured I was doing something wrong, and went elsewhere
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.12. 2015 09:21 »
My understanding is that SRM are primarily a motorcycle engineering service that have a few very high quality parts especially made for them. Draganfly and others are primarily a retailer of parts with possibly some engineering.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.12. 2015 18:20 »
Hi All,
I do a fair amount of business with SRM, and am always happy with the quality of the products
whether their own made or resell items,
If you phone or email them you get to talk to "people" who know their business,
Not the case very often when you contact othe suppliers *eek*

Here's the sub headings for A10 productsin the webshop , open each sub heading for a list of available parts

Cylinder Head and Rocker Boxes
    Clutch
    Bottom End and Timing Covers
    Chassis Upgrades and Specials
    Gear Box
    Cylinders
    Gaskets Seals & Lock tabs
    SRM Special Products
        Chassis Upgrades
            Front Forks
        Engine Parts
            Camshafts and Cam followers
            Conrods Bearing shells and Big end bolts
            Oil pumps and gears
            Oil Pressure release Valves
            Rocker oil feed pipes
            Sump filter Kits
            Inspection covers
            Clutch Upgrades
    Carburettors, Kits & accessories
    Castrol Oils, Lubricants & Accessories

Its not complicated!!!
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.12. 2015 23:55 »
 John,

No, its not complicated. There just does not seem to be very many parts there. Lots of categories, but not a lot of parts.

Thats why I thought maybe there was more to the website.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 20.12. 2015 11:04 »
No, its not complicated. There just does not seem to be very many parts there. Lots of categories, but not a lot of parts.
coater87 I agree with you. There was a time when the SRM website gave access to listings for all the parts that they had, but not any more it seems. That was very helpful because you could quickly see what was or what was not available. Even more of a problem if you are not UK based and you need to telephone to find out what they have got. What is the point of a website if you are unable to select want you want and order it on line?
John