Author Topic: gearbox lug  (Read 594 times)

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
gearbox lug
« on: 26.11. 2016 04:06 »
The "lug" on the top of my 51 A10 gearbox is not flush against the mounting bracket / lug on the frame when the gearbox is bolted up with the two bottom bolts.
It is also necessary for me to fit a spacer between the gearbox and the bracket it sits on to align the bolt hole,vertically, on the gearbox top lug with the hole on the frame.
At this stage there is no motor in the frame and the frame is fitted together correctly with the bolt through the bottom of the seat post in place. Not sure why this is the case.
The lug on my box may have been modified? Can someone  tell me the width of the lug on the gearbox.

Thanks in advance
Cheers Russ.
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: gearbox lug
« Reply #1 on: 26.11. 2016 09:45 »
 hiya Russ, someone asked similar not long ago, and I'd had same issue with my rebuild. I think what I did was tighten the front (top and bottom)mounts roughly central in their holes, and then packed the top g'box lug with large SS washers to centre it and align the Sprockets, then packed up the bottom lugs the same. What else can be done without going berserk and going to the expense of welding and stuff when all I want to do is ride it *dunno*

The top lugs on the few cases I have are a bit mashed up and vary in width, but being precise, the widest is kinda-sorta-roundabaout-roughly a bit over an inch- maybe like about ~1.104", or just under 28mm (not forgetting it's a bit mashed).
 I did a bit of assuming that the top lug/frame interface is central to maybe the centre of the tranny-engine interface bolts  *dunno*
 Bottom lugs are I think not much better, and guesswork involved- just packed 'em up and took it to the frame straightener, and it rides real good(well).

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Re: gearbox lug
« Reply #2 on: 27.11. 2016 01:11 »
duTch it was me who posted about this earlier.
I just realised the other day that maybe my top lug had been modified and your reply confirms this. Mine is only 20mm. I have a spacer which makes it "about just under" 28mm and it fits nicely against the frame lug. Thanks for confirming this for me, I'm now much happier.

Cheers Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia