Author Topic: Improper torque wrench use  (Read 716 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Improper torque wrench use
« on: 17.12. 2015 17:19 »
Have you ever noticed when getting a new tyre fitted; the fitter uses a torque wrench to finish the tightening; presumably so the driver can undo the nuts if they need to; those air drivers can really tighten them. However I've observed the fitter giving the torque wrench a bit more of a turn after the wrench clicks. I've not had the balls to challenge them on this but I think I should.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
Re: Improper torque wrench use
« Reply #1 on: 17.12. 2015 18:04 »
if a wheel torque setting   is 30nm they may set it at 27nm do all the nuts then click to 30nm for  the final nip thats what i do and never use an air gun on alloy wheels

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.12. 2015 18:16 »
the fitter uses a torque wrench to finish the tightening

an educated guess based on some truth I think
Torque wrench's will be (should be) calibrated to be true at regular intervals, where as an air gun may be subject to various factors that will affect it's accuracy (compressor. air humidity, lubrication of the gun ....).
Also possibly more to do with litigation should a wheel escape than drivers ability to undo the nuts
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.12. 2015 02:36 »
Seriously, does anyone really care if lug nuts are done up to precision torque? You have probably noticed that in no time in the history of cars has the lug wrench for changing a spare been a torque wrench. (OK, when I'm done typing this I'm going to look up Rolls Royce, Bugatti and Lamborghini lug wrenches.)

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Kickaha

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 18.12. 2015 05:37 »
Seriously, does anyone really care if lug nuts are done up to precision torque?

No and I do that stuff for a living

But I do use a torque wrench  ;)
1955 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
« Reply #5 on: 18.12. 2015 05:39 »
In the early days of disc brakes, over-torqueing the lug nuts could warp the hub/rotor.  I like to see tire installers using torque wrenches, but usually only see "torque sticks" being used on impacts.
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline sparx

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 18.12. 2015 07:51 »
I think it's a psychological thing. When the wrench breaks it appears to go light, so you give it an extra nudge just to reassure yourself.
 At work I was watching a guy torque up the wheel nuts on an artic trailer. The torque wrench was about five feet long. He asked if I would like to have a go. I couldn't get the wrench to break. Obviously I'm a six foot twelve stone wimp.  *red*
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 18.12. 2015 09:16 »
I think it's a psychological thing. When the wrench breaks it appears to go light, so you give it an extra nudge just to reassure yourself.
I think you are right.
What Richard says is true I guess; wheel studs can take some extra welly

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 18.12. 2015 10:41 »
You have probably noticed that in no time in the history of cars has the lug wrench for changing a spare been a torque wrench.

no but the length of the bar they supply is not random and I know many drivers who carry a torque for their car wheels, me included, many women (discluded Amazon) find it difficult to undo wheel nuts, for them the extra length of a torque wrench is good.
Two more points to consider -
 1. are you telling me you have never heard of a wheel coming off?
 2. do you know the torque setting for your car wheels - go check you may be surprised, they haven't been 52lb/ft for a long long time

If you guess your wheel nut torque and get it wrong, it's down to you, if your local kwikfit get it wrong you'll be Googling for a good lawyer - right
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 18.12. 2015 13:01 »
Changing a flat by the side of the road, I'll do what I must to be on my way. Changing wheels in my home shop, hell yes I use a torque wrench. In the past, I've had wheels loosen while driving and once had to call a tow truck because I couldn't break the lugs loose. Since using a torque wrench, no problems. Many years ago, I assembled VW engines without a torque wrench. They ran fine, but I don't do that anymore.

Online Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 18.12. 2015 13:43 »
First thing my dear old dad would do upon returning from the tyre fitters would be to loosen all the nuts and then retighten them - and not with a torque wrench. This was to ensure that if he had to change a wheel at the side of the road he would be able to undo it with the wrench in the back of the car.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.12. 2015 14:08 »

If you guess your wheel nut torque and get it wrong, it's down to you, if your local kwikfit get it wrong you'll be Googling for a good lawyer - right

Good points all, but this may be my favorite.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 18.12. 2015 18:48 »
a guy in a rolls pulled up with a flat outside a mental home as he was changing the wheel he kicked the 5 nuts down a drain a guy behind the railings said take one nut off each of the  other wheels and drive steady to the garage the guy said i will get you out of there and give you a job as he drove off a brick came through the screen and he said dont forget the job will you

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 18.12. 2015 19:33 »
not many torque settings in any bsa a10 manual i ve read. just do up tight and peen over the locktab. i calibrate my torque wrench lifting 3 pints of ale sunday lunchtime and a throw of the dart.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 18.12. 2015 19:35 »
not many torque settings in any bsa a10 manual i ve read

not many wheel nuts on A10s either
All the best - Bill