Author Topic: Is a '61 a Whitworth?  (Read 573 times)

Offline Mr Bentwrench

• Active
Is a '61 a Whitworth?
« on: 23.01. 2016 13:28 »
First post for a new guy looking at a 61 barn find. I did a 54 MG some years ago and still have all my.Whits. Will I be getting them out again for this project?

Offline Rich B

• Active
Re: Is a '61 a Whitworth?
« Reply #1 on: 23.01. 2016 13:40 »
Yes

Offline Mr Bentwrench

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 23.01. 2016 14:47 »
Crap! Hope a hand full of shallow well 12pts and another hand full of open combos will still be suffecient.

Guess I can handle the tools but I remember finding new fasteners was a PITA. Guess now you just go online and order up specific replacements as needed out of somebody's parts cataloge?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.01. 2016 15:14 »
Mr. B,

Welcome to the forum.  *welcome* USA is kinda big, mind sharing approximately whereabouts?

If you're looking for fastener suppliers in the US, britishfasteners.com is a good place to check. Of course, you could also go to a general British motorcycle parts supplier like britishonly.com or klempfs.com. Also, check out the recent thread here titled "Thread thread". It was focused on packaged assorted fasteners, but some good links for specific pieces, as well. With any luck, the right fasteners will be the hardest thing you have to find. (Fat chance.)

We all like to see photos, particularly the ones showing the bike transforming from rust to righteous.

Richard L.

Outside Chicago

Offline kommando

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 23.01. 2016 18:36 »
The nut sizes will be Whitworth but the thread form will be cycle which is 26 tpi with the option for larger sizes of 20 tpi. Designed for bicycles initially the 26 tpi resists vibration better than courser tpi's.
No BSA twins just unit singles
Scotland