Author Topic: Strange valve clearance  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Strange valve clearance
« Reply #15 on: 26.01. 2016 20:39 »
modified rocker boxes are not uncommon but most of us persevere. With a bit of practice and patience they arent bad to fit. the big issue is that the swing arm rocker box head steady sits on top of the RBox which can contribute to oil weeps up top as the rocker box is under stress from vibration. the plunger frame head steady fits to the head so doesnt cause grief
and welcome rider of a BSA group product with much in common with ours
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 27.01. 2016 05:44 »
BSA owners have no trouble with pushrod locating so don't need another access.

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 27.01. 2016 13:55 »
               Oddly enough, I have one of those modified rockerboxes on this A7. Somebody has neatly machined and threaded a hole in the centre of the box, which takes what looks like an oil tank cap ( or a chaincase inspection cap if you prefer ). Certainly very handy for shining a torch through to locate that last pushrod that just won't line up !
               Trev, even though I must have done it a couple of dozen times, I still haven't mastered it. It either goes straight on in five minutes, or it takes an hour, which is why I grabbed the modified box on Fleabay a year or so ago. Sure makes life easier for me, and I have more " five minute " jobs than one hour ones these days.

Norman
1960 A10, alive and thriving. 1959 A7 living on borrowed time !

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 27.01. 2016 20:16 »
Well said, Gasket 4450. I wasn't going to take the bait. ;)

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 27.01. 2016 20:51 »
modified rocker boxes are not uncommon but most of us persevere. With a bit of practice and patience they arent bad to fit. the big issue is that the swing arm rocker box head steady sits on top of the RBox which can contribute to oil weeps up top as the rocker box is under stress from vibration. the plunger frame head steady fits to the head so doesnt cause grief
and welcome rider of a BSA group product with much in common with ours

RR,

This post just screams out for steering the topic to this thread: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2912.msg19633#msg19633

Don't know if you've seen it or not.

Richard L.