Author Topic: Piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance  (Read 2621 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance
« Reply #15 on: 18.12. 2015 11:00 »
If this bike is purely for your own use and not for resale then you can get the thrust faces knurled,shot blasted, center punched or have the entire piston expanded.
Back when labour was cheap and parts were expensive we used to get our racing pistons either knurled or expanded between every 3rd or 4th meeting.
To go with the excessive cleareces we also used oversized rings (correct bore diameter but bigger radial depth) and we raced ( well they actually I only ever warmed the motor up enough to change from starting plugs to the racing plugs ) . Now this was a metho drinker running at near 15:1 by the time we retired it.
So there are a few alertnatives if it is just a week end plodder.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 18.12. 2015 17:56 »
HI Bill,
Yes its to do with the ovality thats manufactured into the piston design..................................

Thanks John, guess working in my shed amongst 50 year old stuff leaves the modern world and methods behind sometimes

Pistons have been oval for a lot longer than 50 years.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 18.12. 2015 18:32 »
Pistons have been oval for a lot longer than 50 years.

I know that but was not sure where the ovalitiy occurred

Thanks John, guess working in my shed amongst 50 year old stuff leaves the modern world and methods behind sometimes

was referring to computer aided manufacturing methods which I probably also knew at some point in time but had forgot about
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco