Author Topic: a10 winters tale  (Read 409 times)

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
a10 winters tale
« on: 29.12. 2015 21:10 »
"all british bikes leak oil " dont they? how many times have i heard that statement. usually when i take my bsa into work which doesnt leak a drop yet. then there s the pictures of blown bottom ends and toothless cogs when its all leaked out and endless talk of oil. well it may surprise some people to know that honda cb750 sohc notoriously leak oil around the cylinder head if not rebuilt meticuously with the honda know. dont believe me? then go onto the honda sohc forum and read for yourself. then i say " all honda s  leak oil ".
which leads to my wasted day chasing a breakdown on the gold flash. all loaded and out of character it would not start. even with sweat assistance. so the checks begin. fuel, plugs, brushes, timing spot on. kicks over a little too easy- i know tappet gaps- nope not those. well it has to be the mysterious magneto and the wonder of gravity and induction with its case? or could it be a problem i had all those ago when bsa spares rarely existed? guessed it?

Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: a10 winters tale
« Reply #1 on: 29.12. 2015 21:54 »
Melted piston top? (But, might start on one lung, I guess, if it was that.)
Blown out head gasket made from oatmeal?
Intake valve guide floating about.

Darn. I don't know.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2015 22:46 »
very close richard. i was just about to take of the magneto and post off to someone who knows about those things but then remembered...hang on there s someone at the door.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.12. 2015 23:07 »
*rick teaser! *shh*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2015 20:13 »
anyway to cut to the chase. the reason for not starting was because i had over topped the oil in the primary chaincase. all that properganda about oil leaks had made me expect the primary chaincase would leak so i kept topping up as the clutch drum is new. i emptied about half a pint ,then stripped the clutch plates which were saturated. when i reassembled it the bsa started as normal but i recalled mags needing a good, proper kick or they dont start even if the engine is turning with some clutch slip. another dodge i recall from touring days was to ditch the auto mag pinion with its dodgy teeth and replace with an alloy manual one. again it will only start with a good full kick to spin the engine fast enougth.
whats happened to all the brit bike old boys with their dodging tales?
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.12. 2015 22:03 »
...whats happened to all the brit bike old boys with their dodging tales?
Aren't they here?
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 01.01. 2016 04:22 »
Primary case only needs a very small amount of oil eh? Just the oil mist from things whizzing about in there is enough lubrication I reckon, and usually there would be extra oil escaping into the primary cases from the gearbox anyway don't you think?
And yep, I just use a nice alloy magneto gear with no auto advance unit, timed for full advance. Works for me.
Good Advice
No reactions