Author Topic: Just visiting  (Read 1750 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
Re: Just visiting
« Reply #15 on: 05.01. 2016 08:58 »
Oi, kiwipom, I was born and raised just up the road... Canterbury (Kent) was my home ground too (why didn't they cut that tree down?!)
Don't take it all so seriously mate eh? (I fear it's flying all above your head).
HAVE FUN!!!!! MATE!
-Jools

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 05.01. 2016 09:01 »
hi guys, and if you do Musky I'd have a beer with you any day, it`s only 3hrs away, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 05.01. 2016 09:07 »
hi guys, Jools, well I'll be, you may have been that guy who used to leave me for dead riding the RG Star, me on my Dunstallised Dominator 99 up the old Dover Rd in 1965,cheers 

NewZealand

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #18 on: 05.01. 2016 11:50 »
Well that was not the responses I was expecting. I thought a few good lucks and have a good time, but it was a very funny read.
The plan is still evolving. I think she is almost ‘lovely beached’ out as the east coast of Australia appears spectacular and that has been her trip so far. So its scenery, volcanic activity and maybe on the south island some glacial stuff that is currently being planned. Although she is not a Lord of the Rings fan, I am from the books and she has said we must do some of the locations. Thanks for the offer Tim, I may well pm you to add to our ideas.  Local knowledge is always good and like here sometimes the best places are a local secret.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #19 on: 05.01. 2016 12:07 »
Some years ago I was talking to Tony Cooper (think Magnetos) and he was about to go off to NZ with his missus. He had managed to wangle the loan of a bike on which to do some touring.
That struck me as a great plan.

On New Zealanders... I once employed a couple of young machinists from NZ, to work in a high tech model shop where materials were somewhat unusual. They were both excellent guys. Superbly trained, highly competent, innovative, hard working and efficient. I'm sure they've since gone on to great things. They were both a real pleasure to work with.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #20 on: 05.01. 2016 12:30 »
even more on New Zealanders;-  I grew up in an area of Liverpool close to the docks where the American boats berthed , the ozzie meat boats landed and the blue funnel line brought the NZ lambs not to mention Canadian pacific liners , the old gladstone docks heaved with ships of all nations ,consequently as a kid I got used to having our café full of all nationalities when I got home from school except NZ ,never had the pleasure of meeting anyone from there . So my mental picture of all guys from NZ is based on my childhood hero from WW2 ,Al Deere ,( nine lives ) *respect*
 so there you NZ guys go, oh so  please don't post a selfie  *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 05.01. 2016 19:09 »
I suspect NZ may also have a high BSA A10 to people ratio so it's not just sheep here in numbers  *pull hair out*, the other day I went on the BSA motorcycle club Wellington branch Xmas bbq run and there were 6 of them there  *lol*, including mine, out of about 20 bikes.

There's also probably more kiwi members on this forum than to be expected, considering we only number about 4m in total  *fight*

Urban myth says NZ has a very active classic/vintage vehicle scene, if so it will be because of the number of barns and sheds, here and a reluctance to ever throw anything away  *whistle*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash EA7-168x, CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, missing parts so mission impossible?

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why, maybe cos it always starts

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #22 on: 05.01. 2016 19:59 »
"reluctance to ever throw anything away"

Good on yer! You know it makes sense.

NZ'ers strike me as a very self-sufficient lot, with possibly the world's best 'we can do it' attitude. Although I have never been there I picture a country so sparsely populated that when something goes wrong or needs doing the first choice is to just get on with it.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #23 on: 05.01. 2016 20:03 »
The country(NZ) and it's people are the very best on this Earth.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 05.01. 2016 21:27 »
hi guys, (So my mental picture of all guys from NZ is based on my childhood hero from WW2 ,Al Deere)yes TopDad there were a lot of those. If you haven't heard of `Nancy Wake' have a look at her wartime exploits, i was more than impressed,cheers 

NewZealand

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #25 on: 09.01. 2016 15:02 »
Its all Booked now so I am actually going now to plan what I am going to do.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #26 on: 09.01. 2016 23:36 »
http://www.mcr.co.nz/community/event_calendar/february/bsa_national_rally_2016

Might not fit in as Dunedin is well south, I was pondering riding down which is a couple of days each way...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 10.01. 2016 03:23 »
Hi angus,
I've been to NZ a couple of times. Its such a fabulous place I don't know why the kiwi's bother coming over here.
Make sure you do the south island as well. the drive into Milford Sound is amazing let alone the sound itself. Queenstown and the glaciers are a must see.
Queenstown is a seriously beautiful place. If you are feeling suicidal you can do bungy jumps, lunatic jetboats or paragliding off the cliff.
Personally, I had a few beers and watched them from the restaurant.
There is an authentic French village just outside Christchurch that is worth a visit. (the locals will know the name) Apparently the French settled here before they realised the poms had invaded the place.
If you end up at Rocker Racers BSA rally in Dunedin and get pi$$ed you can roll down the world's steepest hill.
Dunedin is on the way to Invercargill where Bert Munro's Indian is displayed in a fruit shop.
The locals will let you know what to see anyway. There is nothing ordinary about the entire place.
cheers,  you will have a great time.

Oh, and keep a close eye on the daughter. I wouldn't trust a kiwi with my grandmother.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 10.01. 2016 05:33 »

There is an authentic French village just outside Christchurch that is worth a visit. (the locals will know the name) Apparently the French settled here before they realised the poms had invaded the place.

Akaroa

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 11.01. 2016 01:13 »

You've missed the Cemetery (circuit )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AySDrR8cMvQ

and I'm guessing you won't be in the country for the Paeroa Street racing 21st Feb

http://www.battleofthestreets.co.nz/
New Zealand