Author Topic: mudguards  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
mudguards
« on: 17.01. 2016 10:12 »
hi everybody ,I have just imported two mudguards from india , they are not up to the standard I wanted , holes in the wrong places , too wide , the metalwork looks as if its finished with a hobbing iron and a blue brick , I am not  mentioning any names , they have offered to sort it out ,    see what happens     tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
Re: mudguards
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2016 19:24 »
I've heard some horror stories about stuff from those parts and have been tempted myself but I've been put off by the postage rates if it has to go back. I noticed a UK supplier selling it at a higher price, so I guess they get the best stuff !

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 17.01. 2016 19:35 »
Yes, most parts from the sub-continent need work to make fit. I bought a front guard for the '51 from there. It took 2 lbs of spray filler to hide the angle grinder marks.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2016 01:54 »
I've bought a couple of bits of tinwear from india including a front mudguard and was happy with neither of them  *shh*.
A local BSAOC member had better success buying via Burtons who could act as a filter for quality. He bought a tank for his flash, the paint was apparently rubbish but the tank and chroming serviceable.

I must admit that if I was forced to go down the path of buting indian tinwear again I'd try and do it via a reputable supplier who will ensure some quality
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 22.01. 2016 10:10 »
that's good thinking r r ,       now they have told me to return the mudguards , which is almost as much of the cost of the items, I don't know wat to do at this moment   . if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to know.    t w

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 22.01. 2016 10:38 »
Make'em fit, paint'em, use'em till you find better. I did 5 years ago, still haven't found better, but I'm riding.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 22.01. 2016 12:35 »
I think that's the way I will have to go musky , I haven't got the original mudguards , it would be great if someone could give me a few measurements of both , like length  width , I can move the holes anywhere but the general dimensions would help , I don't want to spend all the time repairing these and finding the fit only 17" wheels mine is a  a10 1959 , I do have front and rear stays and I hope they are for this bike     thank everybody tw

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 22.01. 2016 19:32 »
I've bought a couple of bits of tinwear from india including a front mudguard and was happy with neither of them  *shh*.
A local BSAOC member had better success buying via Burtons who could act as a filter for quality. He bought a tank for his flash, the paint was apparently rubbish but the tank and chroming serviceable.

I must admit that if I was forced to go down the path of buting indian tinwear again I'd try and do it via a reputable supplier who will ensure some quality
a reputable supplier mentioned on the forum sells indian a10 centre stands but doesnt advise fitting  them as they are prone to snap??? a mate bought a new a10 tank he removed masking tape after painting and chrome came with it

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 23.01. 2016 07:18 »
for my super rocket i ended up having an old guard repaired to chromeable standard as well as a battered but genuine tank. it wasnt cheap but the chrome was proper triple plating. Did it right spent the money! am currently getting the export tank for my a75 panel beaten and will rechrome. far Dearer than a repro but its the original tank and will be right not half right
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 23.01. 2016 08:41 »
hi all, ive bought a tank from india , it looks good  i haven't tried it yet its still in the box, sounds as if there is not much to look forward to by the sound of things   tw

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.01. 2016 10:04 »
from my own experience.
The tank is reasonable for the price paid, some slight coppery sheen through the chrome in one place but you have to look for it, the coating inside the tank does look a little like rust so could also hide some rust if stored dry, if not using it soon as; fill it with petrol or petrol/light oil mix, also you might need an extra rubber distance piece in the bolt tube.
Bought mine at an autojumble so could select the one I bought, I have sealed it but think it maybe was not needed, it may at some point need re chromed so yes buying a bare tank is possible the way to go
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #11 on: 24.01. 2016 09:06 »
I have an original 1960-62 version (part number 42-6904) deep valance rear mudguard spare, the one for the arrow head stays. I bought it to replace the chrome one on my Super Rocket that was in a very poor state but did not use it in the end. If it is of interest to you then PM me.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 26.01. 2016 13:51 »
hi,  can anyone tell or show me where the front of the rear wing fit s, and does it go between the sw/arm I have thrown my originals away  thanks   tw   1959 a10          ps there is not a bsa a10 as far as I know anywhere near me or I would go and look , there is a autojumble  on 30th , there will be plenty there I hope

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 27.01. 2016 22:58 »
It doesn't go between the swing arm. The mounting holes line up with the cross member.

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #14 on: 28.01. 2016 00:05 »
I bought an English style RGS rear mudguard from George Prew complete with brackets, many years ago, and they were excellent quality, however the mudguard was not drilled for mounting holes in the mid-section nor the area in between the swing arm. George told me that it's almost impossible to drill holes and have them line up to every A10. So I drilled them to fit my bike, it was quite easy really.
I've been tempted once or twice to try my luck on a chromed and painted petrol tank with the tear drop badges, from India, but after reading this I would probably be disappointed.

'54 GF,  '61 SR