Author Topic: Frame alignment - check before coating?  (Read 442 times)

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
Frame alignment - check before coating?
« on: 17.01. 2016 15:03 »
Hi - another request for advice please! (sorry, there'll be lots of these over the next few months  *red* )

I'm rebuilding a '53 A10 plunger bike.  It was in bits when I got it, and the bits are in a very sorry state.  I'm coming up to sending out various parts for refinishing (frame and solid parts - powder coat; tinware - paint).

Judging from the bits I have, I think it was used with a sidecar for at least some of its former life.  Should I get the frame alignment checked before powder coating?  If so, is that do-able in my garage or should I get a grown-up to do it for me?

Thanks!

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
Re: Frame alignment - check before coating?
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2016 15:54 »
Hi,
As basic check, I insert lengths of rod of varying diameters through all the mounting holes for engine, suspension...etc.  For the yolk (vertical) to horizontal alignment, a couple of discs with a central hole diameter to suit whatever rod diameter is inserted...Viewed from different planes, and aligning up the rods carefully by eye, it will give a basic idea if it looks suspect.  The rods I use are typically 1 metre long threaded bars, or some mild steel round stock.

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17.01. 2016 17:08 »
It's an essential and fun job with just a few basic tools. I was not going to put a bike on the road with a bent or unknown frame and expect a decent reliable ride on it. A solid bench is essential. Frame well strapped or pinned to it, and i hope the following pix save you reading heaps. i used the lazers at night and didn't get any pix. but they sure help me know when the frame is true. i just use threaded rod to adjust the plunger alignment. Not shown here was a crow bar and considerable grunt to get the head straight. (not unlike what some people would gleefully do for me !!)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 17.01. 2016 19:24 »
This might help as well.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2016 19:52 »
Thanks very much for all the advice, as always  *respect* 

Looks simple enough to do and well worth it, cheers!