Author Topic: Winter Storage  (Read 398 times)

Offline bill harrison

• Moving Up
Winter Storage
« on: 07.10. 2015 15:58 »
Some of my bikes might end up being left unused for a few months now, I was going to get some spray for protecting the bike, any good tips?  I normally use WD 40 but a friend reckons a good covering of furniture polish is best!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Re: Winter Storage
« Reply #1 on: 07.10. 2015 16:01 »
I have used ACF50 for the last couple of years it seams to work well. I have seen write-ups that suggest WD40 is not a good idea.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2015 17:06 »
I have used ACF50 for the last couple of years it seems to work well.
+ 1 on that excellent stuff

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.10. 2015 13:14 »
Indeed, that too is my understanding.

Concerned also about the reported hydroscopic and other scary stories on the properties of ethanol, I'm also adding some kind of fuel stabiliser to my bikes going into storage this year. I went with something called Sta-Bil though I've no idea if it could yet be oil of snake, or how I'll know.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 09.10. 2015 04:04 »
Indeed, that too is my understanding.

Concerned also about the reported hydroscopic and other scary stories on the properties of ethanol, I'm also adding some kind of fuel stabiliser to my bikes going into storage this year. I went with something called Sta-Bil though I've no idea if it could yet be oil of snake, or how I'll know.

I've tried "Sta-Bil" and also this other stuff call "Star-tron".  To be honest I never noticed any difference with or without it added to the gas.  The gas will go sour after a while anyway.  I started using Race Gas and that by far is the best.  I run it through the mowers, bikes and everything else.  When it evaporates out of the carb it doesn't leave any film and it washes out the ethanol.  It will also last three years (as long as it's not in direct sunlight).  Avgas works just as well and will last just as long.  High lead and no ethanol is the way to go.  Most additives work better with some fuel brands than others.  The problem is you never if it's going to work at all.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 09.10. 2015 18:48 »
after polishing alloy casings with solvol autosol ect a light spray  and buff with mr sheene furniture polish protects the shine for weeks

Offline bill harrison

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 04.11. 2015 10:13 »
Sounds good, thanks.  I'll try ACF 50 and I'm not too bothered about the fuel.  I always use BP Ultramax or whatever which is supposed to contain less ethenol and I'm still getting out on my Summer bikes so the bikes will only be left for 2 or 3 months with a bit of luck!

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 22.01. 2016 19:51 »
Some of my bikes might end up being left unused for a few months now, I was going to get some spray for protecting the bike, any good tips?  I normally use WD 40 but a friend reckons a good covering of furniture polish is best!
you can buy a dummy spark plug that draws the damp out of the bores in long winter storage mate uses them on his classic car