Author Topic: Light switch query  (Read 935 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Light switch query
« on: 01.02. 2016 13:19 »
 I have a Light switch query....I'm running a bitza light; post '54 later type with no nacelle or underslung town light.
 I was doing positive (+ve) earth, but was doing my head in so changed it to negative (-ve) earth.

All is ok-kinda- when I've been out at night, all's been fine even though I can't see where I'm going except from memory...I wave my hand in front to see if I have light, and the dark doesn't take it so figure all's well...kinda- until the other week the PlodMister felt the need to socialize...(never had aPlod introduce himself before...)."I understand it's old, so no indicators, but does the headlight work...?"
 Yep....wave in front- Prince of Dark stays at bay....Plod is confused...

Anyway to cut it short, it seems my switch is a tad flaccid, and in addition, I've since added a LED stop/tail, and 60/55 Halogen headlght, and as previously stated changed to  -ve Earth.
  While messing around, I noticed in the "Haynes" and "Service Sheets", that the switch contacts are in reverse order for +ve and -ve Earth (as per pootots..ahwellwuteverfeek *conf*)...

So the question is; ¿¿  if I go buy a replacement switch As per the one on DragAnfly p/n# 31-340 (photo #3- I can buy one locally cheaper), how does the wiring code differ *????*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Light switch query
« Reply #1 on: 01.02. 2016 13:39 »
Hi,
Time for you to go to specsavers LOL  *roll* *roll*
The second diagram, says view from the underside so it appears the "wrong" way round  *pull hair out*

Positive or neg earth does not change the wiring

*beer*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 01.02. 2016 16:15 »
Well spotted john , Dutch will be well ***** off when he see's this .  ::hh::
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.02. 2016 20:30 »

The second diagram, says view from the underside ...

Mumble grumble. .... hate blind spots. *smile* .. oi'll be back- work to be done... *red*.. But am I to presume the newer switch with less connections had the same configuration. ..?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.03. 2016 13:31 »

Ok now that we all had a good chuckle, I'm glad I could do that for you all, I got the $hizzas with the original switch, so bought the new one #31-340, and as I expected the wiring was way different;

So the question is; ¿¿  if I go buy a replacement switch As per the one on DragAnfly p/n# 31-340 ......, how does the wiring code differ *????*
....Thanks for the input. *conf*

Positive or neg earth does not change the wiring
; was aware of that, but thanks anyway *good3*

So, moving on, it's been a education.

I've done some forum searches and found one the other day that had a similar issue, but after several beers, I can't find it, so if this sounds familiar let me know.

I installed the new switch, but the only way I could get the taillight to work with headlight on was to use a diode between Poles 2&4; headlight>tail/city/park/town/sidelight (call'em what you will), as per pic.

Everything was initially ok, but I didn't get to venture after dark for a bit, and when I did have to use the lights, the onboard Volt-meter went spazzo down to ~2-3V...and the amps stayed -ve @~5-6(A) -ve .

Otherwise charging appeared to be normal *????*

I wasted a few hours +++ sussing it out, and had a positive result, but don't know how.

I disconnected everything and measured stuff, and swapped this and that, substituted a spare battery, and then it worked *dunno*.

Went for test spin 20Km, and lights on, onboard V-meter says 6.~ V at rest, 7-8ish V @ road speed(spikes a bit more), cuts out/in @~6.0v idle-plus, so all seems ok for now.

Is there a better way to wire the light switch? The only poles that appear to do anything are 2,3,4... *dunno* nonetheless, it works for me- for now

Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.03. 2016 21:43 »
Dutch, the tail light and speedo light wires are connected to terminal 5, the one with the bridge to the centre.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.03. 2016 21:57 »
If you look at the switch, in the first position terminals 3 & 4 are bridged which connects the battery to the pilot lamp and the tail and speedo via the bridge to terminal 5.
In the second position terminals 2 & 3 are bridged which connects the battery to the dipper switch and to terminal 5 via the centre bridge and disconnects terminal 4 from the battery thus extinguishing the pilot lamp while leaving the tail and speedo connected.
Clear as mud?

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.03. 2016 23:40 »

Yep, clear as good quality mud. I considered that, but seemed like hard work- easier to plug the diode in, and I don't mind the pilot being on as well (in case for some reason the main beam stops working *eek*) as it's a LED one, as is the stop/tail *smile*, so little extra load.

I'll see how it goes,and maybe one day I'll feel a need to change it *wink2*
Australia