Author Topic: little rant here  (Read 476 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
little rant here
« on: 03.02. 2016 15:03 »
 Some may know I am trying to do a suzuki clutch conversion. Everything I can do to this point is done, now I just need to order an adapter, and find a 43 tooth sprocket.

The adapter was pretty easy, ordered and on the way. If it fits or not, we will see.

The sprocket, not so easy. I have done the best I can to find a 428 chain, 43 tooth, blank steel sprocket anywhere in this country, and cannot. I can find aluminum, I can find plastic, I can find one custom tailored to some bike or other, but not a blank sprocket.

So I e-mail sprockets unlimited. The lady I am in contact with seems super nice, and cannot believe the sprocket is 20 pounds, and shipping is 26 pounds. I am OK with that, and perfectly willing to pay right now. They have it, I need it, lets get this done.

Here is where the problem starts. Sprockets does not have a pay-pal account.

So I have to call my bank, sit on hold for 20 minutes, get booted from one department to another, sit on hold, etc. etc. so they can remove the fraud protection (which I never asked for) from my account, so I can make an overseas purchase. I have to tell them what its for, who its to, and how much it is. Plus, I have to time all this so I can get a hold of sprockets during business hours before the fraud protection is put back on automatically 4 hours after my call. OK.

I try to call Sprockets. My phone will not allow an overseas call all of a sudden. My wife has switched cell phone plans so many times I dont even know who my carrier is. My wife calls customer service, I sit on hold, get booted from department to department at the phone company. Finally I get technical support. He askes me a bunch of irrelevant questions, makes me listen to him breath for 10 minutes, then informs me all is well and I can make that call.

He hangs up, I dial sprockets, and am informed I cannot make an overseas call.

My fraud protection lift has now run out, and I am no closer to making that purchase then I was 4 hours ago.

If you are going to sell anything and have a website, get a pay-pal account *ex* *ex* Yes, I know pay-pal charges the seller a small percentage...add it to the purchase price if you must. Inform people that if they pay via pay-pal it will cost them 10% more or whatever it is. I dont care, I am willing to pay *ex*

I have wasted four hours trying to be a customer. Its not supposed to be hard for the customer to buy things from you. Make it easy for them, get a pay-pal account. We want to pay!

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: little rant here
« Reply #1 on: 03.02. 2016 15:15 »
..and trying to be a customer not only of Sprockets, but the bank and the phone company, as well. It seems they all faIled you.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.02. 2016 15:42 »
Is the sprocket company in the UK? I'm willing to buy the item and forward it to you. You can then PayPal the cost back to me.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.02. 2016 15:47 »
Heck, Sprockets Unlimited are in Badsey Evesham; that's about a half-hour drive for me. I'm willing to collect the item for you and send it. I have no idea what shipping to USA will be but might be cheaper than their quote.

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 03.02. 2016 15:57 »
Hi Graybeard.
What a most helpful and generous offer to another forum member.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 03.02. 2016 16:26 »
Well done GB great idea.  *clap*
lee ,what a fiasco but I think we have the start of a sitcom script here , we could call it " faulty sprockets " base it in  Torquay USA  and get that nice Mr john Cleese to head it up ,Cybil could run the sprocket firm in the uk  , we could make a fortune .... opps think I'll go back to taking my medication ........(.sorry guys forgetting that Faulty Towers would mean nothing to our American cousins ) cheers
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online mugwump

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 03.02. 2016 17:32 »
May be showing my ignorance here, but whats wrong with alluminium. My rear sprocket is alluminium. Or have I misunderstood. Hope you get your sprocket though.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.02. 2016 17:35 »
sorry guys forgetting that Faulty Towers would mean nothing to our American cousins )

This American cousin (13th, I believe) knows of (but did not follow) Faulty Towers. The question is, have you heard of Spacely Sprockets?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #8 on: 03.02. 2016 20:01 »
Well done GB. Proper forum spirit, shrinking the world and making it easier to live in.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.02. 2016 05:01 »
GB,

That is a very generous offer, and I thank you very much. I will send you a PM.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 04.02. 2016 12:50 »
No Richard ..... but if you hum it I'll try and join in on the chorus   *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 04.02. 2016 17:13 »
nice one WISE HELPFUL ENLIGHTENED *smiley4*