Author Topic: Repairing rocker oil feed pipe  (Read 1212 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Repairing rocker oil feed pipe
« on: 09.02. 2016 15:23 »
The oil feed pipe to the rocker banjo assy has fractured at the banjo. On looking at it it would appear that the copper pipe has been brazed/silver soldered into the brass banjo. I can repair it by soldering the pipe into the banjo but concerned that it may not be mechanically strong enough? I do not have the equipment to braze/silver solder the pipe/banjo. Will a soldered joint be strong enough?

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
Re: Repairing rocker oil feed pipe
« Reply #1 on: 09.02. 2016 15:27 »
I would say so, yes. Just makes sure the joint is very clean and oil free when soldering but you probably know this. I did the same with 1/2"copper into brass banjo on my Matchy G12. And has been good for several years.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 09.02. 2016 16:07 »
I had to do the same last year and can at least say that its better than when it was made and after I'd cleaned it well ,as mugwump mentioned , it was easy. I use a flexible pipe from tank to the feed so am hoping that will take a little vibration off the connector .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2016 17:00 »
Thanks for the replies.

Always nice to hear from others who may have already done it as it give a bit of confidence it will last.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2016 20:19 »
I would prefer silver solder. Soft solder has a tendency to fracture, I don't know why. You would expect that if the joint was properly made it would hold.

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2016 09:39 »
I believe that Dragonfly has new complete oil pipe assy for the rocker box and I think the last one I bought was about £18, saves all that messing about, also SRM do the solid block type, not sure at what price though.

TTJohn

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2016 10:08 »
I believe that Dragonfly has new complete oil pipe assy for the rocker box and I think the last one I bought was about £18, saves all that messing about, also SRM do the solid block type, not sure at what price though.

TTJohn

Thanks for the reply.

The only problem with the replacement assy's is that the original one has the banjos and feed pipe all in line. The replacements have a 'T' junction between the banjo's. Yes it will do the job but would like to maintain the original style but as I can only solder the pipe it may not be strong enough? Don't have the equipment to braze/silver solder unfortunately.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2016 11:13 »

I'm fairly sure I soldered mine (banjo feed from return line ) with 60/40 resin core, but also using Bakers fluid (ZnCl - Zinc Chloride), haven't really inspected it closely but there's no massive puddles so can't be too bad after only ~7K miles *dunno2*

I reckon the worst you can do is try it and see, if it leaks you'll see it easy and I can't see it'll be a major problem if the pipe goes into the banjo (as on mine)....how much is the bike used..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 10.02. 2016 17:33 »
Just a further thought, soft solder will require less heat than silver, but try and keep the heat local to the point of soldering or adapt a heat sink to anything you don't want unsoldered. Also, remember that heat rises so keep the undamaged soldered joints below the joint you are repairing. Hope this isn't teaching egg sucking/blowing etc. Offered with the best of intentions.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 10.02. 2016 18:08 »
vibration is always a broblem on copper pipes you will often see a couple of loops in a copper fuel pipe on older machines  to deal with this  the trend today is a short piece rubber tube to solve the same problem

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 07.03. 2016 04:24 »
you don't mention if you have one continuous pipe or have some flexible hose half way along connecting the ends.
Having some flexible hose in the line helps reduce vibration in the line.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 07.03. 2016 04:33 »

With regard to lead-free / electronic solder, I had a look at the content and was surprised to find a high tin content~90% and the rest silver and or copper, so *conf* why is that not so sufficient for this and also cables?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia