Author Topic: police cameras  (Read 1746 times)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
police cameras
« on: 15.02. 2016 20:36 »
what are your views regarding the police in n /yorkshire hiding in horse boxes and tractors  with speed cameras to catch you out is it  money making or safety related bearing in mind the horsebox and tractor are on hire to them  *????*

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: police cameras
« Reply #1 on: 15.02. 2016 21:26 »
Why were you speeding?

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #2 on: 15.02. 2016 21:54 »
I think the police should be allowed to use every means to enforce the law convert cameras CCTV etc etc. AND yes I have been caught speeding relatively recently, did a speed awareness course and despite all my excuses that it was safer at that point to speed the bottom line is I was breaking the law.
For those that put forward the its a money making argument, the solution to that is simple. Don't break the law and they make zero £'s.

1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 15.02. 2016 22:50 »
When the police start getting the BAD drivers rather than those travelling slightly over the limit, THEN I'll believe it's about safety not about revenue.
We have the ridiculous situation here, that people are being fined very large amounts of money for going 3-4kmh above the limit, yet the design rules for speedo accuracy allows for a 10% variation!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.02. 2016 09:51 »
with speed cameras to catch you out

should read "with speed cameras to catch you breaking the law"
We all have done it, and we all should know the speed limit, if your caught it's down to you accept it like a man.
As a regular watcher of those police programmes, I see the results of excess speed and unfortunately bikers figure large in the fatality figures compared to car drivers regardless of fault.
Mt Plod is doing his job same as you do or used to
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 16.02. 2016 10:53 »
Save lives, save money, keep speed down. And let the cops use any trick.

Here it's become speed-bump town, they are 100's of them all around, very effective. Radar usually only used on main roads and motorways to catch the extreme speeders. And there's cameras at important points.

I don't mind at all, enforcement saves from death, suffering and sorrow > please spend a few moments imagining the situation were there no cops or radars...  *conf*

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 16.02. 2016 12:00 »
I don't disagree with the contents of these posts and certainly I am very careful when around towns villages and particularly schools however I do fail to see the safety aspects of a copper hiding in a ditch out on the moors somewhere where there are only sheep or hiding behind a billboard on a good straight A road without any houses about for miles heading further away from people not towards them (thank you northwales police now over 20 yrs ago but last ticket I've had 45mph in a 40zone ) 
I absolutely love cameras on traffic lights ,this does cut the amber gamblers but think speed cameras should be a deterent and placed sensibly .
 I am sure we can all relate something similar around them but on the final stretch of the A59 running down to the docks in Seaforth within a 4 mile stretch there are 5 cameras everyone knows where they are and the traffic doesn't slow to a lower norm it simply slows at the cameras and then everyone takes part in a kentucky derby to next one ,it's like being at Le Mans and what does that achieve safety wise, absolutely nothing !!  the container trucks still hit a roundabout so fast that we have  had a spate of overturned lorries , in desperation the local authority put in lights and converted the roundabout to a  traffic light controlled junction. 
Finally I cannot say I stick to all speed limits but only let rip  in the country side or where I'm certain to be riding safe and yes I'll take any ticket without arguing but please let there be an element of commonsense from our Police, I'll now shut up  *shh*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 16.02. 2016 13:50 »
I'm afraid constant speed monitoring is inevitable in the future; your start and finish times through each road section will be calculated against the speed limit and if you've exceeded the limit you will get done. This is because, A) Police resources are becoming too expensive, and B) people cannot be trusted. We already have many roads with constant monitor cameras in the UK. Do you have them in other countries?

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 16.02. 2016 14:17 »
constant monitor cameras in the UK. Do you have them in other countries?

Yes, average speed cams being implemented here (also in long tunnels) and from reading newspapers they are effective (death toll \ accidents down on roads where they are).

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline mugwump

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #9 on: 16.02. 2016 17:26 »
I presume most of you have seen the recent case in the news where a speeding biker ( modern bike ) lost his life when speeding and an elderly motorist turned right in front of the m/cyclist. Speed was 100 mph plus ( believe was on A road, but matters not ). The family were happy for the 'go-pro' footage  taken by the rider himself to go viral on you tube and news bulletins to be used as an example to other bikers. The only concern I had was that the car driver was prosecuted for careless. Not quite sure why, as the speed of the m/cyclist was in my opinion wholly to blame.  Most drivers would have felt there was plenty of time to make the manoeuvre. In my experience ( 30 yrs a copper ) speed is nearly always the cause of accidents, followed by inattention. Long live the cameras I say, they do slow speeders. Yes they are also a source of revenue and I have been caught too.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 16.02. 2016 18:51 »
Why were you speeding?
hard to do on a honda 90 out of town 49 flat out on a good day  but a clean licence for 57yrs *smile*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 16.02. 2016 19:12 »
Not speaking with authority, but I don't think cameras or radar in the US are used for issuing tickets for less than 5 MPH over the limit. I also believe that most uses of such tech include signs, such as, "Speed checked by radar" or "Patrolled by aircraft"' etc.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.02. 2016 09:05 »
Seems to me that here in the UK speed limits are mostly set quite arbitrarily these days, and often subsequently adjusted further here and there for no apparently good reason. For instance often as not you seem to be held down to a 40 limit further out from villages and the like and there seems to be no difference in terrain (and hence risk) when you do finally hit the deregulated signage. It may all be speeding in the eyes of the law but from a safety perspective – assuming that you are driving within reasonable bounds of your vehicle’s performance, and your own abilities, whilst mindful of prevailing conditions then that is all just so much cock.   

I mostly ride/drive my own pace as I see fit and run with a sat nav which at least indicates fixed camera positions. Won’t help me should I then encounter bogus horseboxes piled high with ill-used police salaries and associated expenses of course. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 17.02. 2016 09:51 »
I'm not to sure who decides upon speed limits, don't think it's the police tho.
a small village 5 miles from got a 30 limit put in place (few if any accidents had ever occurred and residents are few also), point is I remember the police quoted in the local press to the effect they would not be enforcing the limit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 17.02. 2016 12:11 »
We have friends who live at the end of a ten mile road through open country to a peninsular. Because the road is bendy with ditches each side there have been a lot of fatal accidents; probably young guns racing their VW Golf's. The highway authority have installed constant speed cameras along the whole route. Without the cameras the speed limit would be 60mph but the cameras enforce 40mph. If drivers would keep to the normal UK maximum for two-way roads everything would be great but no, everybody has to suffer!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4488563,0.610439,3a,75y,111.39h,90.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC3X2-YvhrBmC0Cr3nBBdeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1