Author Topic: Twin Gold Star Silencers on A10  (Read 8217 times)

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
Twin Gold Star Silencers on A10
« on: 28.04. 2009 12:27 »
Hi All,

I would like to fit twin Gold Star Silencers to my A10 RR, I have heard that there is some issue with fitting the LH silencer which is something to do with a kink in the pipe where the pipes kick round a frame fitting? I have spoken to a couple of suppliers and they seem very non committal on if they will fit without and complications. I find this very strange as they are marketing them as A10 silencers!

I know they can be fitted as my Brother had them on his RGS back in the 60's

Id like to hear from anyone that has them fitted to standard twin pipes and if they have experienced any problems fitting them.

Regards
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Twin Gold Star Silencers on A10
« Reply #1 on: 28.04. 2009 14:12 »
69bonnie

Not exactly sure of your issue, but I just put stock '54-'57 pipes on my '55 swingarm A10. These have depressions built in near the mounting brackets, I thought, as relief for the center-stand foot lever. Turns out, the lever misses the left-side depression leaving that depression with no apparent purpose and allowing the lever to hit the pipe. Both pipes are made with the depresion in the same relative location (mirrored), I suppose for manufacturing simplicity.

I don't know if this applies to your question, I guess I'm  piggy-backing my own new questions with your's.

Richard L.

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 28.04. 2009 15:15 »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply, I had heard that when you fit the LH Gold Star silencer (Muffler) to a standard exhaust pipe because of the kink in the pipe it sets it off from the silencer mounting bracket.
Of course Goldies and RGS always had Siamese pipes and just one Silencer on the RH side.

On my 58 RR i want to put standard pipes on and Goldie Silencers. I guess this is the crux of the issue! However this, as i understand it, is the problem. Standard pipes and Goldie silencers.
If you want to fit Goldie Silencers I'm told you need to fit different pipes, similar to these on the picture of the Goldie posted below. Apparently you have to fit these Angled pipes left and right to get the silencers to fit correctly. Then of course you have the problem of accessing the chaincases etc

Now as i said, my brother years ago had them fitted on standard?? Pipes

If anyone has done this id be please to hear of any problems

Kind Regards
Steve Rickman
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 28.04. 2009 15:53 »
I've been running goldie pattern silencers from Armours this past couple of years . . . no real problem with them, but the point you raise about the kink in the pipe is good. My lh pipe with the kink, also from them, wouldn't probably have worked for any silencer as it was pointing miles away from the ideal - so I just heated and bent it where I wanted it. 6 inches of blue chrome as a result. But mine's an all-weather bike and not smart so I didn't really care. And I also have no idea if all the frame fittings etc are correct or not, for what is meant to be a '59 s/arm frame. A lot of people very definitely would care, though and I think you're right to try to find out, as the bits aren't cheap. What I wanted really was a pipe with no kink in it.
Richard's right about the depressions on the silencers - not sure what they're really supposed to be for.
Point is, the silencers should go on no problem and the bracketry is very adjustable with the sliding captive nut system on them. The sound is decent, plus, no more problems with lh siamese tending to work its way out of the exhaust port, as the separate pipes are more positively located.
Good luck!
Bill

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.04. 2009 00:28 »
I don't have your answer, but I know I've seen the sweptback pipes like that for the A10's on Domiracer? 

it would be a pain to have to pull those everytime you do anything with a cover tho...
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 14.05. 2009 08:47 »
Hi groily, Snowbeard and Co,

Well all part of the fun isnt it, I guess i now know for sure there are some issues but i will get round them!

Might play with the idea of cutting down some bits and peices of pipes i have kicking around and see if i can shorten the downpipe and put in and short adaptor to kick it pipe back in the right direction.

Thanks for your replies

Regards

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 14.05. 2009 21:02 »
Hi Steve

Not sure this any help to you, I purchased a standard set of new pipes and silencers from Armours for my 1962 Super Rocket this year the L/H side pipe which has the kink in it runs very close to the main foot rest mounting point.

So the begining of the silencer (clamp end) to the mounting bracket (pillion footrest) 8.5 inches any longer will foul the main footrest, it would on my set up with the start of the kink about 1/2'' away from the silencer.

So if you want to fit Goldies this may be good start point.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 04.06. 2009 12:02 »
Ah right thanks Nick

That maybe what its all about then! to be Honest the engine is in the frame and thats as far as i have got, mainly because i have built a new workshop at the end of the garden and its sitting in there covered up till i get the place dry lined and fitted out.

I'll add this to my notes and get some measurments of the goldie silencers. I do already have a set of pipes but not got to the point of offering them up yet. Maybe someone at our club has an old goldie silencer i can borrow to get an idea of the problem.

Thanks for the reply i'll put it with my notes

Kind Regards

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #8 on: 04.06. 2009 12:20 »
Steve... Just measured and taken some photos while camera is handy.

The Goldie silencer I have fitted is 27 inches long, there is apparantly a smaller size available! I've no idea where my downpipes were purchased as they were with the bike when I got it.

I had no problem in fitting my silencers at all and the 'kink' does not look that tight/sever, kinky if you like!  *lol* Some photos below to help but dont laugh at my umbrella!  *lol*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 04.06. 2009 13:51 »
Top Man LJ!

Unfortunatly i looked at the pictures before i read the text! Umbrella! now thats got to be a British bike!!! Mad dogs and Englishmen! some of our American fellows over the pond are gonna love that ... is that 41-9345 Umbrella Legsheild Left or the A65 42-6723 Umbrella export model only???

Anyhow thats great as i say i know thay can be fitted as my big brother (then) Had them on his touring RGS from new.

I feel more confident about buying a set of Goldie silencers now and not wasting my hard earned (anyhow i guess id have made them fit).

Im Guessing that LJ on the RC site and you are one and the same? any epic voyages lately? Apart from Iron Butt Emma to Skeggy? FSL 168? and the same with the wheel alignment tool???

Kind Regards and thanks for the pictures

Steve

Very Handy
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 04.06. 2009 22:51 »
Steve... Yes I'm the same bloke on the RC site, often post on the M20 forum, Brit Bike.com and Vintage Bike forum too. Not done much long distance riding so far this year but a lotta short and local rides.

LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.06. 2009 15:38 »
Hi LJ

I guessed you were the man, Thanks for the Info, You are also the guy that put together that wheel alignment tool with the magnets and studding?

Excellent Idea im making one up using Ali Angle

Talk again soon mate,

Hope you sort that leak!

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman