Author Topic: Clutch adaptor bearing fit  (Read 855 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Clutch adaptor bearing fit
« on: 20.02. 2016 15:28 »
 For the guys who have Colin tie or Pearson clutches...
 I have two bearing fits here, one is inner race to adaptor, the other is outter race to basket/sprocket.

I don't believe both should be a press fit, one should be a tight slip fit, one should be a press fit.

I got a four spring adaptor from supreme cycles (off ebay). Seams to be well machined, I will have to do a little work on the internal taper, but not much.

The problem comes with the inner race to adaptor fit. The adaptor is 1.3738, the inner race of the bearing is 1.3753- so with carefully alignment I can drop the bearing on by hand.

What Is most common would be press fit on the shaft/adaptor and slip fit for the basket/sprocket. But I am not sure this is how the ready made clutches are...

I can use speedi sleeves to adjust all this, but first I would like to know how the Colin tie and Pearson clutches handled this? It's not like a fit and forget, I will have to maintain this in the future. A bad choice now could make fixing later nearly impossible.

Thanks,
Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutch adaptor bearing fit
« Reply #1 on: 20.02. 2016 16:34 »
Lee,

No claim of knowledge of either the Colin Tie or Pearson cluthes, but, after reading your post twice to try to understand, it seems to me that what you need for the inner race is a Loctite retaining compound. Maybe the 603 which works up to 0.005". I know you'll make your own choice if you decide to go this way.

http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?countryCode=us&language=en&BU=industrial&param1=application%3D0000000290%7Caction%3Dsearch%7Cmode%3Dfaceted%7C

Richard L.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2016 22:57 »
Hello Richard,

Look up speedi sleeves. A much better choice if your not in a hurry.

I am not big on any locktites, especially retaing compounds near open bearings. The only way to trash bearings faster than spinning them really fast with no lubrication as far as I can tell. *eek*

Plus the damage if the clutch blew apart,
I don't even want to imagine it.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.02. 2016 23:09 »
 Oh yes, and my question is mostly about which fit, or one fit or both should be a press fit, or maybe neither?  ( I just came out it the long way ;))

That's why I am wondering how others handled this.

Lee

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.02. 2016 23:38 »
Lee,
Interference fit on the bearing OD 0.001"- 0.0015"

Richard

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.02. 2016 00:31 »
Lee,

I guess I don't understand the problem with retaining compounds. Loctite has them in a variety of strengths and temperature ranges. You might have personal experience guiding you here that I don't, but in my little world, Loctite is not a company I would take to be lying about there claims. I have retaining compound on my drive-side inner race right now and, as far as I know, no problem after 1000 miles.

Richard L.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.02. 2016 11:44 »
 Thanks Richard,
 Press fit for sprocket it is.

Richard, your American and must remember super glue commercial with guy hanging from a hard hat glued to beam with the stuff?

Now I might try that hanging 2 feet off the ground, but not 50 feet off the ground.

So really how far you decide to trust something is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.02. 2016 15:25 »
HI Lee,
A sliding fit on the adaptor/ bearing is ok,
The clutches here are like that
It will all be clamped up solidly when the mainshaft  centre nut is tightened
I got a 35mm id x 1mm thick hardened washer to go  onto the adaptor between the bearing and clutch inner drum (radial needle roller washer)

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)