Author Topic: Struggling to move rear of plunger frame !  (Read 657 times)

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
Struggling to move rear of plunger frame !
« on: 20.02. 2016 17:59 »
Hi folks,
I'm trying to align the plunger mounts on my 52 frame. The right hand side leans in about 10mm at the top and the whole of the left hand side needs to go out 10mm. I welded a bracket onto a girder and bolted it to the front lower engine bolt ( Where the frame joins ) And pulled the frame over with a big G clamp, but it's under a hell of a lot of pressure, and even when I over stretch it by 10mm, it just springs back. All I can think of is heating up the tubes because I can't see that it's going to move cold. Are all A10's this tough ?
Ivor.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Struggling to move rear of plunger frame !
« Reply #1 on: 20.02. 2016 18:52 »
I don't recognise this problem; I had no real trouble reassembling the plungers on my bike. The rear section of the frame is removable isn't it? Maybe it's been twisted.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2016 20:32 »
Yes Greybeard it's twisted all-right. I should have checked it before painting (But you live and learn ) The only thing about taking the rear frame out, is I have nothing to check it with. Maybe it's had a chair fitted ? On saying that, I can't think why the frame is at least 10mm to narrow ( About 240mm centers instead of 252mm.
Ivor.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2016 03:02 »
I doubt a chair has twisted it, more likely been in an accident
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.03. 2016 09:36 »
Maybe it's been twisted.
I didn't mean bent; I meant that the attachments may have allowed the subframe to twist.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.03. 2016 10:52 »

I'd like to contribute constructively, but as I've said before, I had similar and was persevering until I realised the front downtubes were also out of whack(twisted and out of line). That was when I took it to the frame guy and gave him the frame drawing and money.

I should have suspected, as I originally bought it (the frame) from a wrecker *bash*, seemed like it'd crashed into something...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 01.03. 2016 13:14 »
For what its worth Ivor I have a 51 frame that was out of whack. i hope the following 3 pix will tell the story of correcting the frame... it rides wonderfully now.

Its a real challenge to strap the frame to a bench but i found tie downs worked well. i also used laser levels ($5 on ebay) broom sticks as you can see and threaded rod with decent washers and nuts inside and out of the plungers to over stretch and rejig them. its great fun.

The steering head was a nightmare. i strapped it to the A Frame of a trailer secured to car. got a crow bar and with the help of family to support my "Highwire act" i bounced on the crowbar through the steering head, bent the crowbar considerably and to my disbelief actually moved the steering head. no pix of this exercise included. no OH&S in my front yard either.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 06.03. 2016 08:01 »
Thanks Gavin, I've managed to move it now, but I was surprised how tough the old frame was. And of coarse, you have to over stretch to allow for spring back, and then manage to go to far sometimes. I'm going to do some final checks after I've laced the wheels, but I think I've got it there or there about's !
Ivor.