Author Topic: clutch rattle  (Read 921 times)

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
clutch rattle
« on: 24.02. 2016 21:58 »
Hi Guys, Just fitted one of those new clutch bearings, seems much sturdier item but when i pull the clutch lever in, the clutch rattles like a ducati !!!     the clutch is the ever popular 6 spring type (lol) which i have had the cork segments replaced with bonded material i also have new friction plates in and all the plain plates are flat, ive also got a new clutch push rod as well  any ideas ?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: clutch rattle
« Reply #1 on: 25.02. 2016 19:43 »
G'day Signboy.
A stab in the dark I'd say the plate tabs are a very loose fit in the hub and/or the basket.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 25.02. 2016 22:29 »
Thanks Muskrat,
So its not detrimental to the clutch....just noisey ?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 26.02. 2016 07:47 »
G'day Signboy.
I haven't seen one of the new bearings in the flesh and without seeing and hearing your problem I can't categorically say there isn't anything more sinister at work. Could it be the clutch plate behind the basket (chainwheel) rattling on its spline?
I traded my SICK spring for a four spring 25 years ago.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 27.02. 2016 15:36 »
Can you get us some more information? If it rattles when pulling the clutch lever in and kicking it over with the cover off, I'd say it's normal to hear a rattling/ringing noise from the plates dropping down in the basket.
If you can hear it rattling with the cover on and the engine turning then there's definitely something wrong.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 29.02. 2016 11:41 »
Can you get us some more information? If it rattles when pulling the clutch lever in and kicking it over with the cover off, I'd say it's normal to hear a rattling/ringing noise from the plates dropping down in the basket.
If you can hear it rattling with the cover on and the engine turning then there's definitely something wrong.

Yes
usually because the tabs have been beaten to death and filed downso much the are way to loose.
On the first fire breathing heavily worked A 10 I demolished in my mispent youth you could hear my clutch ratteling a block away if I was sitting at he lights holding in the clutch.
The man who taught me to ride fixed this by braizing trips of key steel to the slots then filing all the plates to fit. All by eye all within a few thou of each other, don't you just hate people with skill levels like that ?
any way the clutch never made a peep after that and to end my bad habits of siting holding in the clutch he fitted a bronze bush to replace the wiggly balls, so you got about 30 seconds maximum of clutch before the bush heated up enough to grab.
Bike Beesa
Trevor