Author Topic: Not charging  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
Re: Not charging
« Reply #15 on: 04.03. 2016 12:24 »
Now the dynamo charge anyway . However, only about 10 volts at idle. Tried plugging in the regulator but the battery does not charge : / I have removed all shrink tubing as I sat on the cables and controlled joints etc. Wondering if I managed to break the controller in any way ???
Do regulators operate with completely empty battery ? Has put the battery on charge. Should test more when the battery is charged.

beezermacc

« Reply #16 on: 04.03. 2016 17:19 »
10 volts at idle is OK. I would wire the regulator directly onto the battery, not via the ammeter, and test the battery voltage with a multimeter before wiring through the ammeter. Another easy way is to put a bulb across the battery whilst the bike is running and see if the bulb goes brighter as you rev the bike.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 04.03. 2016 17:37 »
I tried again just now , and the result is the same .
I have not ammeter connected right now. The only thing that linked is the regulators 4 cables. 2 to the dynamo and one to + on the battery and the last one to earth. I use a multimeter to see if it loads . it always shows only the same as when the engine is not running about 6 volts.

beezermacc

« Reply #18 on: 04.03. 2016 19:25 »
Unlike other regulators the Wassell regulator does not allow the battery to charge up to 7v. You may find that you get a better result if your battery is already quite flat (but not knackered!). This allows the regulator to charge more evidently.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 05.03. 2016 12:27 »
Yes ! Perhaps its charching anyway . I let the battery drop to about 2 volts and started the engine . When I turnerd the trottle a little the multimeter showed about 4 volts . Something happens anyway . I expected to see about 7 volts.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 05.03. 2016 20:47 »
Perhaps the regulator is no good?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 05.03. 2016 20:56 »
 Have I missed it or is it a 12 or 6 volt system ? Early in the story it sounded like you were chasing 12V then sounds like it's changed to 6V..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 05.03. 2016 22:03 »
there are 6 volt system with negative earth .

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 06.03. 2016 07:43 »
Yes ! Perhaps its charching anyway . I let the battery drop to about 2 volts and started the engine . When I turnerd the trottle a little the multimeter showed about 4 volts . Something happens anyway . I expected to see about 7 volts.

Is this enough ? it is normal and as it should  you think ?

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 10.03. 2016 19:15 »
A little frustrating :( I have emailed the company that sold the regulator and also directly to Wassell to know what is normal and what is not normal. None of them answer :(
So I do not really know what to do. Feels stupid to buy another regulator if this does what it should, It also feels stupid to complete electricity system and then start over if it is found to malfunction in the middle of summer.

What regulators do you use?

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 10.03. 2016 20:21 »
If you don't have around 7 - 7.5 volts your battery won't be charged.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #26 on: 10.03. 2016 21:38 »
You ask: What regulators do you use?

A lot of people here use the DVR2 Regulator supplied by http://dynamoregulators.com/
I have them on three dynamo machines, others here have many more than that, and their reputation is very good. Available in negative or positive earth and they work at 6v or 12v.
They require the dynamo to be wired the Lucas way, ie the field coil from F terminal to earth, one brush to earth and the other brush to D terminal.

If you wanted to stay with the dynamo wired the way you have it now (with the field across the F and D terminals), then a JG unit should be a straightforward fit, see http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/jg-electronic-regulators.html. I used one of those for 15 years until replacing it with a DVR2, and it still worked fine.

If you wanted to look at another option, the Podtronics dynamo regulator is also highly regarded : http://www.podtronics.net/DC_regulator.htm. This one looks rather like what you have got, but it is not the same thing inside. There are other units available, but I don't have any experience with them on my own machines. See, eg, http://www.aoservices.co.uk/data/v-reg.htm

The one you have unfortunately does not have a great reputation. It does not seem to me it is doing what it should, whether because it has got damaged in the process of playing with it, or because it was defective from new. Price is relevant - you do tend to get what you pay for with these things.

If it were me, I'd get a DVR2 and go from there, but any of the above would be better, I think, than what you have.
Replacement mechanical regulators are also available - but their quality can be doubtful, both electrically and in terms of construction.

The most expensive option would be to swap the whole charging system for an Alton alternator (which now comes with a good Podtronics rectifier/regulator and has an improving reputation, although I have no first-hand experience. See http://www.alton-france.com/generators.html).

So there are some good choices, which ought to provide plenty of power, protect the dynamo and battery - and enable you to put these woes behind you.
Bill

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #27 on: 10.03. 2016 22:24 »
And not to forget the V-Reg;

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm
Scroll about halfway the page

I run on of these and they work great.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #28 on: 11.03. 2016 05:15 »
Marqs, please note that your Wassell regulator will NOT show a charging voltage to your battery unless you have the wires, POS and NEG, connected to your battery, If you are trying to read a voltage by just connecting to the wires going to the battery, and not having the wires actually connected to the battery terminals, you won't get the desired results
Better still just bring it over to my house and we'll fix it together....I'm in California USA, ...but it'll be worth it.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #29 on: 11.03. 2016 07:12 »
Haha :) california sounds nice :) Here in the yard , it is half a meter of snow . In California it would do better to test drive too :)

When I test with the multimeter , I measure on the battery  which is connected.