Author Topic: Not charging  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
Not charging
« on: 28.02. 2016 16:52 »
Hey!

I can not get my dynamo on my A10 to charge. I have bought a regulator for negative earth from Wasell and connects according to the instructions. Has also done as you should, and tried to drive the dynamo as a motor, and it spins in the same direction as the arrow shows the dynamo.
When I run the motorcycle engine and measure with a voltmeter, I get no response just about 6V (same as when i was not running the dynamo). The meter does not show anything if I measure directly on the dynamo, should it show something then?

Some tipps?

http://forumbilder.se/F8V8V/20160228-165532.jpg

http://forumbilder.se/F8V8V/20160228-1654666888.jpg

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
Re: Not charging
« Reply #1 on: 28.02. 2016 18:45 »
Hi Marqs, I recently dealt with this on my A10. First you check to see if the dynamo is spinning (maybe a broken drive chain), then unplug the 2 wires from the dynamo and with another piece of scrap wire link the 2 wires from the dynamo together. Then take your voltage meter and put it on about a 20v DC setting, take the positive wire from your METER and connect to a good grounding place on your bike, and take the negative wire from your METER and attach it to the linked wire you linked the 2 wires from your dynamo. Start up your motor and you should immediately see a reading of at least 12v on your meter, and if you rev the motor a bit, the voltage should rise to maybe 18 or more.
If , after checking, the voltage reading on your meter is showing "negative" volts i.e. -13v, then you need to change the polarity of the dynamo. This is done by removing the link that you placed across the 2 wires from the dynamo and then, run a spare wire from the negative terminal on your battery and touch it to the "field" wire in your dynamo. You only need to touch it for a second or two, and you will see a spark. This will change the polarity if done correctly, then re-link the 2 dynamo wires and measure the output voltage as described before. Note:- if you are running solid state voltage regulator, you will not read any voltage coming from the regulator unless you have the battery connected. Then an easy check to see if the battery is charging is start up the bike, let it idle and turn on your headlight, you will see a discharge on your amp meter, rev up the motor and then the amp meter should show a charge, if so your'OK, if not, better start checking ALL your wires related to the battery and dynamo, especially the ones in the headlight nacelle.
Good luck with it
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 28.02. 2016 18:59 »
Is the dynamo well earthed? If yes, try (re)polarising the dynamo first.
As Clive mentioned, if the battery is fully charged, there won't be any charge from the dynamo via the regulator.
Between D + F and earth you should measure well over 14V.
If not, connect the D brush to earth and the earth brush to D and try again
I that don't work there may be a problem with the field coil. Disconnect the coil and measure it's resistance. That should be around 2.8 ohms

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.02. 2016 20:46 »
It's uncommon for the field coil to be faulty, it's usually the armature.
Try as per Clive's instructions.
Motoring is not an indication of whether the generator is any good.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 28.02. 2016 20:50 »
I will investigate according to your instructions :) Can add that the dynamo is fully fully renovated with new parts.

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.02. 2016 21:36 »
The direction of rotation when motoring should be anti-clockwise viewed from the drive end. As is the direction for generating.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.02. 2016 18:25 »
I can not brag that my English is particularly good so therefore I ask. this is what I should do?

http://forumbilder.se/F8VC4/20160229-185506.jpg

the result is bad :( only about 1
I get a little bit more about 2 volts if I go half throttle
Have also tried to polarize the coil

I wonder if I understand the wiring diagram right as my first picture ??

http://forumbilder.se/F8VC5/20160229-192154.jpg

where I drew the line ! Certainly it symbolize an earth point ?

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 29.02. 2016 18:27 »

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.02. 2016 20:19 »
One lead from the coil should be earthed, the other to "F" terminal.
Connect the lead to earth which gives the correct rotation.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 29.02. 2016 21:05 »
Yes ! in the old manner , it is so , but if I understand this right , I'll connect field coil to the terminal D and F ???

http://forumbilder.se/F8VC7/20160229-215744.jpg

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 29.02. 2016 21:30 »
in your photo you have wired your dynamo to negative earth as in the right hand side drawing. for positive earth the d is not connected to a field wire.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 29.02. 2016 21:37 »
Yes ! The regulator is for negative earth .

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 29.02. 2016 21:39 »
I wrote apparently wrong in my first post :( sorry: /

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #13 on: 29.02. 2016 22:33 »
OK  . . . I think there is confusion here because I think the Wassell regulator works to regulate on the live side, like a JG unit.

If so - and the diagrams seem to support this from what I can read of them - the wiring should be as follows:

One field coil wire to D, one to F terminal
One brush to D, other to earth

And for the test to see if the dynamo works as it should with the field from D to F? Disconnect the regulator, connect the dynamo F terminal to earth and then put a bulb/meter between  D and earth and start the engine. It should light the bulb  / show plenty of volts.
This is the same test as bridging F and D and putting a bulb / meter across the bridge to earth on a standard Lucas arrangement, which is what your photo shows and which won't work in this case if I haven't misunderstood the position completely.

Same applies about reversing the wires from the field coil if the rotation ends up wrong, and same applies about the choice of earth.

To guarantee polarity and correct rotation, connect F to earth and then connect battery POSITIVE to D terminal and battery NEGATIVE to earth. It should motor in the direction it is turned on the machine, and the polarity will be set by doing this. But you need the sprocket off the drive end to do it, so you can see which way it goes.

Bill

beezermacc

« Reply #14 on: 01.03. 2016 09:18 »
If you look carefully at the Wassell diagram you will get very confused! What Wassell describe as the 'old configuration' is wrong because Lucas always had one brush and one field coil earthed - the diagram shows just the brush earthed. Furthermore, the brush (or the field wire) which is earthed differs between clockwise and anti-clockwise dynamos. They also say 'move the field wire marked 2 from the earth screw' yet the field wire marked 2 is attached to the F terminal. It looks as though the Wassell have got the pictures in the wrong order, but still the instructions don't make perfect sense. To be absolutely honest, and this may not sound very helpful at this stage - sorry, I would wire the bike positive earth and use a positive earth regulator, in which case you can retain the original wiring configuration of the dynamo. On the other hand, if you persevere with what you've got I'm sure you'll get it sorted.