Author Topic: Not charging  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
Re: Not charging
« Reply #30 on: 11.03. 2016 07:46 »
Could my problem be because I have thin wires ? I'm using 1.5 mm wires : /

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #31 on: 11.03. 2016 08:13 »
Won't be just the wires Marqs - as long as they are connected!

When you say thin, could be just thinwall modern insulation, or is it small core? I think you'd maybe want to look at what you have  - compared to what is recommended for battery leads and main power feeds for such as headlights etc to be sure you won't have anything getting too warm. And one or more fuses   . . . .

Here's some info on thinwall modern cabling: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/198/1/single-core-pvc-thin-wall-cable/e1b5f233104dbd5f580d9459dcedf753
You want to be sure the wire used is OK for the loads and current- watts & amps - going through them.

Norbsa (Paul Goff) sells them Morris - but Alan Osborne makes them, so we've said the same thing re the V Reg II.
Bill

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 11.03. 2016 08:35 »
The core is 1,5 mm²

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #33 on: 11.03. 2016 09:57 »
Norbsa (Paul Goff) sells them Morris - but Alan Osborne makes them, so we've said the same thing re the V Reg II.

Yep I noticed afterwards. But that's me. Always to quick to jump on the wagon and end up with the bloody nose...  *red*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 11.03. 2016 11:31 »
1,5mm core, thinwall pvc insulation, is meant to be good to 21 amps (typical manufacturer's rating) but in practical terms, half that. It is usually used for light duty.
(Standard pvc insulation is lower-rated as it retains heat.) 
I think best advice would be to use 44/0.3 (3mm) or 12AWG cable for battery leads, and 28/0.3 (2mm) or 35/0.3 (2.5mmm) (14AWG) for headlight and main load carrying cables. Others here may have better suggestions. (I usually use the heaviest wire that will go comfortably into the various holes and fittings!)

This isn't your immediate problem, but may be something to think about as you get the machine working properly. The last thing you want is for it to catch fire due to a short cicrcuit.
AND  . . . Fuses, Fuses  . . .!
Bill

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 11.03. 2016 13:10 »

A lot of people here use the DVR2 Regulator supplied by http://dynamoregulators.com/
I have them on three dynamo machines, others here have many more than that, and their reputation is very good. Available in negative or positive earth and they work at 6v or 12v.
They require the dynamo to be wired the Lucas way, ie the field coil from F terminal to earth, one brush to earth and the other brush to D terminal.

Kind of aside to the point in hand here, but I'm having problems with a DVR2 not working on my Sunbeam (S7D - so kind of a BSA at least) at the moment. It's OK with a mechanical unit in place. Under what circumstances would the dynamo not be wired the Lucas way?

Thanks 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 11.03. 2016 13:18 »

Kind of aside to the point in hand here, but I'm having problems with a DVR2 not working on my Sunbeam (S7D - so kind of a BSA at least) at the moment. It's OK with a mechanical unit in place. Under what circumstances would the dynamo not be wired the Lucas way?

Thanks 
[/quote]

If you want negative earth . According to the description on my Wassell regulator you should connect the dynamo different.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 11.03. 2016 14:16 »
We're getting into what people often refer to as 'shunt wound' and 'series wound' dynamos here. Lucas standard for the E3Ls etc we have is 'shunt wound'. Many others (Miller for one) are 'series wound', with the field connected across F and D and the field strength being regulated on the 'live' side.
A DVR2 and some other regulators work only with so-called shunt-wound dynamos. JGs, and maybe this Wassell thing  - when negative earth at least??? - need the dynamo wired the other way.
Most dynamos are capable of working either way, although there may be questions as to the resistance of field coils in some cases. A DVR2 needs a minimum field resistance of, I think, 2 ohms. All Lucas m/cycle dynamos, 3, 3.5 and 4.5 inch, have at least that.
I am guessing the MC45L Lucas instrument on a Beam is wired with the field between F and earth, but I don't know. If it isn't, then a DVR2 wouldn't work; if it is and a DVR2 doesn't work, then there is some other issue that I don't understand!
Bill

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 11.03. 2016 20:47 »
Hi,
Avoid the AO and the likes,
They discharge at low revs, also stop working when tha battery voltage falls below a certain level

DVR2's work well, even though I had a dud one too
I have run a Podtronics on my A10 since I built it in 2002, it will work with a flat or no battery *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 11.03. 2016 22:14 »
Everyone seems to like the DVR 2 ☺ But of course, I find this text on the website :( I guess I'll take it slow one week :(

http://forumbilder.se/F97CJ/screenshot-2016-03-11-23-09-06.png

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 12.03. 2016 10:21 »
Yeah, they told me they were out next week. I'd assumed it was works shut down with Easter coming up.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #41 on: 26.03. 2016 11:51 »
Hello

I have ordered a DVR2 for positive earth . I thought I would wire dynamo right so that it is ready when my new regulator comes home . Should it be wired as the original Lucas ?

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 26.03. 2016 18:12 »
Yes.
Field coil - one end to F terminal and the other end to earth. One brush to earth (use same small screw to the dynamo as for the field coil wire); other brush to D terminal.
If by now you've forgotten (I would have!) which way the field coil wires and/or brushes need connecting to make the dynamo work in the correct direction, you'll need to do some fresh checks. Also need to be sure you've got the polarity right for positive earth.
Bill

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #43 on: 31.03. 2016 11:41 »
The DVR2 looks like it does its job :)
Thank you all for all your help !!