Author Topic: Additional topic category?  (Read 642 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Additional topic category?
« on: 03.03. 2016 15:03 »
Admin, Muskrat,  Just wondering if it mght be worth while or practical even to add a new topic category. There are frequent enquiries relating to Rocket Gold Stars, and it crossed my mind that maybe it would be a good idea to create an RGS knowledge base. I suggest this because there all kinds of obscure detail differences people ask about, and cross referencing between A10 and Gold star parts data often does not provide the information. Anyway its just a thought.
John

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Additional topic category?
« Reply #1 on: 03.03. 2016 16:34 »
John,

Trust you are well. Now, I'm not speaking for Admin or Muskrat, but wondering if your idea doesn't suggest a separate category for each model. At this point, I think that would be pretty unwieldy if the idea is to consolidate existing posted information under its specific model. May be particularly crazy when more than one model is discussed in a given post. By my reckoning, there are 877 posts which include either "RGS" or " Rocket Gold Star" in their content. It seems to me that a search within so many posts for the desired info might be no easier than searching the whole database.

All that said, if the idea is to start a category with all new specific tech information, that might be a whole other issue.

Richard L.

Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 03.03. 2016 17:17 »
Richard, I am keeping well. Thank you for asking. This was just an idea that I floated, to be honest I did not give much thought about consolidating all the existing Rocket Gold Star / RGS data all ready existing in the site data base. As you rightly point out it would be a herculean task. Actually what I was thinking about was more in the nature of future RGS contributions. It is a topic that arises quite frequently. By the way how is your project progressing. Did you get the nacelle sorted out?
John

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 05.03. 2016 20:27 »
Hello, initially I'd say 'maybe'. It's very easy to add boards, so techwise it's done in a minute.

It all depends of numbers of RGS owners here, and if many find it useful. Let's see what the poll results gives after a while.

Thanks.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.03. 2016 20:36 »
Too many boards means empty boards.

It's just a model of A10. Almost all BSA entusiasts and owners of other A10s are interested in them.

Fencing the RGS off in a subforum would be a retrograde step.  How would it all fit into the present engine, gearbox and electrical boards?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.03. 2016 23:35 »
I'm not working hard to shoot down the idea, but just for amusement, and maybe perspective,  we could consider some interesting statistics. While the forum has 877 (or so) references to "RGS" or "Rocket Gold Star", there are about 1300 references to "SR" or "Super Rocket". Fortunatley for us, the forum seach engine is pretty good.  Specific model information can be found with relative ease by choosing the right terms to search.

There is or "was" (I haven't been there in a while) a dedicated RGS website that provides some specifc details that might not be found here on the forum.

In premise, I like John's idea, but, in practice, I don't think we will get a librarian who could do the organization without a salary.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 06.03. 2016 07:17 »
hi guys, yes i don't think that we need an elite category, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.03. 2016 09:46 »
In practise why not just start a new topic - subject "RGS data and info" and put what you require on there
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #8 on: 06.03. 2016 11:34 »
hi guys, yes i don't think that we need an elite category, cheers
Kiwipom, Elitest? why do you say that? There is already a catergory for A7 long stroke engines because of the differences between those units and the later engines. An RGS is merely a variation of the A10 theme, but there are some unique subtle differences with the frame and cycle parts that people do seek clarification on. I thought that a knowledge base might be useful because there was never ever an RGS parts manual where things could be crossed referenced. By all means express your view that another catergory is not needed, but leave it that just say / vote no.
John

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #9 on: 06.03. 2016 11:57 »
Nothing to do with any elite. It's about a model variation, and about how to best serve info on the forum.

Was an easy evaluation when adding "A7 46-50 Long Stroke Engine", not so clear for any other model.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 06.03. 2016 12:11 »
just say / vote no.

Missed that bit John

SO it's a no
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #11 on: 06.03. 2016 16:36 »
I've cast my vote based both on the success I've had using the search engine, which has been good, and considering the possibility of a thread in the Literature board to consolidate RGS specific info - if someone suitably knowledgeable is prepared to compile/moderate it.

Part of my fascination for the A7/A10 family derives from the wide model range using, in the main, combinations from a basic parts set.  Part of that fascination is that all models seem equally valid to me, ie 'no special cases'.

Having written that I have to say that the longstroke forbears deserve a little special treatment. Perhaps to minimise confusion among newcomers.

A case could also be made for separating out plunger or bolt up gearbox models but... the essence of a usable database is a good report writing function - and we have a good, usable search engine.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 06.03. 2016 17:39 »
I would vote yes if it is strictly for collecting published tech, sales and press (for example, magazine articles). What's the harm? So, I would therefore recommend a few unbreakable restrictions on model-specific categories: no chat, no debate and no opinion (unless it happens to be expressed, for example, in a magazine review from 1962). 

John, I think you have basically volunteered as, at least, one of the major contributors.

Richard L. 

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 06.03. 2016 19:40 »
Infrequent posters are definately encouraged to vote on this.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 06.03. 2016 19:56 »
G'day all.
I'm a yes voter. If there is a sticky (stays on top) with all the specific tech data and parts list with no chat or  *????*'s. Then RGS specific posts with questions and answers as in any other board.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7