Author Topic: Dynamo almost touching crankcases  (Read 825 times)

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
Dynamo almost touching crankcases
« on: 12.03. 2016 11:04 »
The E3L is so tight to the crankcase that I cannot get the end cap on ! Can any one help me ? The cases are bulging out a little by the crankcase bolt, I'm wondering wether to take a file to it ?
Ivor.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dynamo almost touching crankcases
« Reply #1 on: 12.03. 2016 12:25 »
 Ivor,

I was thinking new chain would help, but I am thinking of a different bike.

Before I went after the cases with anything, I would take this down a ways and really look at what you have. Something seems off.

This reminds me of a millwright I know who always says "its really easy to take it off, its not so easy to put it back on" (meaning removing metal with a file, grinder, hacksaw, torch, lathe, mill, large hammer *eek*)

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.03. 2016 13:35 »
Thanks Coater,
Maybe the PO machined some of the cradle part of the cases off for another fitting. It didn't have a dynamo fitted when I bought the engine. But I don't know if the cases normally bulge next to the case bolt like these do. The other thought I had was to shim the cradle a little.
Ivor.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.03. 2016 14:32 »
Is this with the chain or belt fitted? Maybe the dynamo is rotated on the eccentic more than ever intended. I haven't encountered this myself but I certainly would not make any modifications to the crankcase, or maybe any other stock part, to fix the problem. First thing is to identify the root cause and it doesn't sound like we're there yet. A little later I'll try to replicate the problem with my cases on the bench and report back.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.03. 2016 17:02 »
are you tightening the chain/belt by turning the dynamo clockwise or anticlockwise?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.03. 2016 17:13 »
v8iror,

OK, I've looked at mine and posted a video. Maybe I need to take back what I said about grinding the cases. In my video you will see that either a PO or the factory has ground my cases right where you are having an issue. I didn't notice this until a few minutes ago. I still recommend ruling out all other possibilities before proceeding with grinding. In the video, you will also see that  the range of rotation from where yours is positioned should be clockwise when looking into the brush housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPFqtXOquvY

Hope this helps a little.

I see that someone has posted while I was typing (maybe you) in any case, I'm pushing the "Post" button.

Richard L.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 12.03. 2016 18:45 »
Thank you ever so much for your kind help again chaps,
The housing has to be rotated anti clockwise when looking at the brush end to tighten the chain. It is not possible to tighten the chain by turning it clockwise. The problem seems to be the bulge of the cases around the crankcase bolt next to the dynamo. The only other thought I had was to shim the cradle or back part of the cradle with a piece of 2-3mm cork and make a seperate earth.
Ivor.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.03. 2016 19:12 »
Here are three pics. One shows maximum tight (housing truss upwards), one shows maximum loose (housing truss to the right) and the last shows the extent of grinding the PO or the factory did on my cases.

Richard L.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 12.03. 2016 22:46 »
Thanks again,
I ground the protruding part off with a 3" grind stone in the end off a drill and the cap fits on a treat !

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 12.03. 2016 23:16 »
Woohoo!