Author Topic: Factory RGS pictures and Info  (Read 5680 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Factory RGS pictures and Info
« Reply #60 on: 25.03. 2016 23:56 »
Perhaps so, but mine is an American-market bike which I'm rather sure came in through BSA Incorporated of Nutley, NJ. So, based on the price list in the link, I think "Flash" is legitimately official in this case. I'll know exactly when BSAOCUK gets back to me with the birth certificate.

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #61 on: 25.03. 2016 23:58 »
Hi Trev. The RGS has a dating certificate which confirms the engine and frame started life together. The bike was despatched to a dealership in Chester (UK) in May 1963 but was actually registered and sold by the Triumph dealer across the road. I've visited the county archives in Chester and seen (and have a copy of) the original registration record which confirms the frame number and registration plate. The barrel does have the staggered fins. I have a customer who knows the first owner of the bike. Whilst this seems an extraordinary coincidence I should point out that I, the original owner, the River Mersey, my customer, and Chester are all within 40 miles of each other so the bike didn't get far! When I bought the bike in 1981 I knew it had been in the river but I didn't uncover the bike's earlier history until I met my customer (who knew the original owner) last year. I have also met a guy who rode the bike when it was less than one year old. Sadly the bike was reported stolen approximately one year after it was purchased. The bike was dredged up from the River Mersey in 1980 and, as it was still fitted with the original registration plates, it is reasonable to assume it was taken for a joy ride and dumped, otherwise it would probably have been broken up for spares. The guys who retrieved it from the river bank were going to restore it together but, sadly one of them died, and the other lost interest. However, during their brief ownership in 1980 they managed to acquire a duplicate V5C registration certificate from the DVLA retaining the original registration number. DVLA will only do this if they have strong evidence that the bike is genuine. When I bought the bike I checked with the police that I was able to have good title to the bike as it had presumably been stolen. I was advised that, as DVLA had issued a registration document, there must be nobody else (including insurance companies) claiming title to the bike. Due to the time elapsed and the fact that I also have an 'all clear' HPI certificate I believe I have done everything I can to ensure nobody else can claim title to the bike. I've got more photos but didn't want to overload the site.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 26.03. 2016 00:46 »
I'm guessing the Mersey is brackish. How is the saltwater damage, if any?

Richard L.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #63 on: 26.03. 2016 07:03 »
Interesting reading:

http://www.motos-anglaises.com/catalogues/eddie-dow_gold-star.pdf

RGS with a manager price:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20930/lot/265/

Uhh 8000-12000 £ over a super nice SR...   

beezermacc

« Reply #64 on: 26.03. 2016 07:26 »
Hi Richard. Major components restorable, apart from magneto.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 27.03. 2016 20:26 »
Hi All,
This link with a copy of the letter from GSOC would seem to support the idea of "randomness"
on the production/despatch of RGS models  *????*
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=546381&page=4

GA10 1157 with engine DA10 9505,  despatched in March 63

So earlier frame and later engine than beezermacs  *????* *????* *????*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #66 on: 28.03. 2016 23:48 »
Several things noted, haha...good stuff here!

The pictures from the article posted way back up shows actually three versions of the front brake.
http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/features/stories/259-bsa-rocket-gold-star

The two seen in the fancy red background page are the two factory brakes.
   The composite picture way at the end of that 'Vintage' article shows just a peek at the Eddie Dow 'Duetto'  2LS plate and the looping cable behind it (yipes!).
  http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/zenphoto/albums/VMOL%20wallpapers/british/RGS3.jpg

The 2LS is not factory of course but close as dammit since  Eddie Dow got so much credit for the original RGS idea...his catalog must have been in every Rocker's bathroom.

A much better view of the Duetto 2LS plate on the 190mm is seen on the Bonhams sale bike   front hub.

It's a right beauty I lusted for since I got my Eddie Dow catalog back in the late 60s...and seen in the catalog Viking linked to. (thanks Viking!!

The 190mm shoes measure 2", the single sided brakes were 1-5/8, then I also have a wheel with a single sided brake measuring 1-3/4" from a late A65 I think...so you might see three different brakes on an RGS now, the Duetto fit both the Single side as well as the 190mm. I think (std disclaimer applies)

Then Phil Pearson has a 2LS for both brakes shown on his site...is that the Duetto copy then?..
....pretty sure he inherited much of Dow's designs and inventory...maybe I remembered that right..

Also seen but not very well is the four CAST lugs on the front downtubes, the bigger wrapped reinforcement on the steering head, passenger loops R and L....part of a current and likely several past threads on BBike forum and here too....new info to me.

So, whats all this about different barrels and fins?... all I had registered before was thicker flanges at some point, what's the 411 on that?

standard disclaimer: I've been wrong before...

Thanks all..

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #67 on: 29.03. 2016 12:04 »
Great to know so much about the bike's history Beezermacc , whereabouts in the river was the bike found,I seem to remember that the yobs used to dump quite a few bikes in the dock by the swing bridge on the dock road (Liverpool side ) maybe  the" Bramley-moore " can't remember  or over the water just up from new brighton .Either way a sad way for a bike to end up and wonderful that you were able to refurb it . Richard calling the Mersey brackish a few years ago would have been a compliment ,it was one of the most contaminated rivers in England,you could almost have walked on it ! it's been brought back to life now though and there are fish in it up beyond the " pier head " out in the channel by Crosby there are now lobsters on the wrecks , cheers Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

beezermacc

« Reply #68 on: 29.03. 2016 17:33 »
When I bought the bike I was told exactly where it had been found but because I'm not familiar with the area I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was in the Frodsham / Helsby area, maybe near the refineries and industrial units. The guy I bought it off lives in Frodsham.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 29.03. 2016 20:21 »
Hi All,
I believe that the staggered fin cylinders were standard across the range from about 61????

My 61 SR has them but thats not a reliable indicator  *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #70 on: 29.03. 2016 21:32 »
I feel that those barrels were fitted to the last of the A10s, possibly late '62.
I say this because I have only seen one in the flesh, the written off set that I was given.
How about your RGS? Mine has the original style but???

Offline bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #71 on: 29.03. 2016 22:41 »
So are these barrels the 'thick flange' ones or is this now three versions of the A10 barrels?
a. Original thin flange
b. thick flange
c. thick flange-staggered fins?

That list only from my memory of what I think I maybe kinda read here...so not a definitive list..can anyone detail that better please?

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #72 on: 30.03. 2016 21:15 »
They are thick flange and are virtually the same as the common type except for the fins on the front of the barrel.
You could add Ariel Huntmaster barrels to your list as they do fit.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: 30.03. 2016 23:30 »

I believe that the staggered fin cylinders were standard across the range from about 61????

Any chance of a photo ?  *smiley4*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #74 on: 31.03. 2016 21:51 »
HI All,

Dutch,
I meant to take a photo yesterday and today but "things" got in the way
Tomorrow hopefully ??
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)