Author Topic: question on check ball and spring  (Read 842 times)

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
question on check ball and spring
« on: 16.03. 2016 01:41 »
I have a 62 golden flash royal tourist I am building, but looking at my parts manual there is a check ball and spring, not quiet sure where they go. In my parts manual on page 26 to the left of the page shows a picture of them part number 10167-1400 for the spring and part number 10101-4675 for the ball. looks like there may also be a plug of some sorts also. I know theres one in the release valve, but not sure on the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks pat

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: question on check ball and spring
« Reply #1 on: 16.03. 2016 02:31 »
You'll find it on the inside of the timing side case... as pictured.   *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.03. 2016 04:09 »
Pat,

Here is a very lame and fumble-thumbed video I made a while back showing the removal of the grub screw, spring and ball.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IaZnt5WHeI

Richard L.

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 17.03. 2016 02:03 »
thanks for the info. what really sucks is I didn't know it was there, so therefore I didn't remove it for inspection. I did however soak the cases in my solvent tank for a couple of days before a thorough cleaning with soap and water. Hopefully it is ok. I already have the bike almost done. Lesson learned. This is my first bsa pre unit rebuild. I'll know next time!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2016 03:05 »
You're probably fine. If anything, you just missed the opportunity to improve the bike's resistance to wet sumping (oil draining past the pump and into the sump when the bike sits a while; you probably already knew that). There are various things that can be done once you access the ball in addition to replacing the ball and spring. Some folks say to hit the ball from the back to improve the seat. I mounted a ball on a stick with epoxy and used valve lapping compound to improve the seat. Probably not perfect, but definitely helped. Just keep it in mind until the next splitting of the cases. Until then (and after then) enjoy riding but watch your oil level and drain the sump before starting up  if oil goes too far down.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2016 04:21 »
Pat,

I don't believe you have ever mentioned whereabouts in this tiny country you are located. Mind sharing.

Richard L.

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2016 15:31 »
thanks Richard, I did enjoy your video. Very helpful. I'm in north Vernon Indiana about 5 hours south of Chicago.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2016 19:45 »
heres a closer look

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.03. 2016 21:20 »

When I did mine last, I had a go at removing it, but wasn't sure what to expect and with no spare (do now), decided to refrain and just clean the gallery really well and blowing air through. I figured if it held a small amount of air pressure from my big mouth in direction of feed, it'd be ok.
  After ~8K miles leaks down a bit on the odd occasion it sits for a week or so, but as I use the bike often (most days), seems ok

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 19.03. 2016 12:35 »
A spring is only a spring because of the heat treatment it gets.
What heat does, heat can also undo.
Every second that the engine is running hot oil is passing over that spring which will start loosing tension from day 1
So it is good practice to replace it whenever you are that deep into the engine.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 24.03. 2016 12:45 »

I reckon the best is to drill it out and use the A65 style ball and spring