Author Topic: Tax renewed in 2 mins !!  (Read 403 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Tax renewed in 2 mins !!
« on: 18.03. 2016 11:43 »
Somehow I didn't get my reminder to tax the bike, panic this morning as  I rec'd a "last chance " letter , went online banged in the details and surprise surprise all retaxed with a confirmation rec'd with 2 mins ! Seeing has I for one always fear the worst from DVLA I've got to say a well done to them  *yeah*
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tax renewed in 2 mins !!
« Reply #1 on: 18.03. 2016 12:51 »
It really is easy now it's online and no MOT certificate required for my bike.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.03. 2016 13:12 »

It's easy but a bitch here. In the past, when I received a renewal notice, I'd schedule it for payment in advance via Bpay/credit (do you have that?- easy straightforward online bill payment). then a couple of years ago, in addition to abolition of labels/stickers/disks, the Transport guys decided that as credit cards charge a fee, they omitted the Bpay credit option; =no scheduling! So even though I could schedule it via eftpos, not always convenient, so now I have to log into their website on the day or a day earlier (but not too early- I have Scottish heritage) and pay online- and still pay a friggin  credit surcharge *ex*

I've called both parties to ask what's the big deal, and they of course blame each other *problem**pull hair out* *fight* no-respect

Bottom line is; now I keep tabs on the dates (written in texta on the glass cupboard door + phone reminders!) next one due 28/03 ?- soon (note to self)

Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.03. 2016 14:30 »
Here in the UK there is no physical disc that you have to attach to the vehicle – so no visible hard copy reminder. For pre ’76 vehicles (I think now) there is no charge, but you still have to go through due process. You have to have done that, or made SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice – which for some reason still have to be renewed every year). If you have neither of those things current against your vehicle then you are liable to a fine. You can use their web site to check if a vehicle is currently covered – but that gives no indication of when it is due to expire.

I don’t like the fact that if you SORN early for a refund (on paid VED, obviously) then it is taken from the end of the current month, but the SORN declaration is taken from the actual  date. It may be that this is government policy for a bit of thievery rather than that of the DVLA, but regardless - they don’t get my vote.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 18.03. 2016 14:31 »
so now I have to log into their website on the day or a day earlier (but not too early- I have Scottish heritage) and pay online- and still pay a friggin  credit surcharge *ex*
Or of course you could renew at the Post Office and incur no credit surcharge!  *smile* *whistle*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #5 on: 18.03. 2016 16:46 »
I think the DVLA website has improved a lot. I've SORNed a couple of vehicles this week and it was no trouble, despite one of them being 'not found' with only reg number and make entered. It was fine once I put in the V5C number.

One issue to remember is the Continuous Enforcement of Insurance, that came into force in 2012(?). If you have a vehicle taxed it MUST be insured.  Failure to comply can be expensive if you reach the stage of being fined, as someone I know found out.  (It wasn't me, honest!)
Good Advice
No reactions
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.03. 2016 17:47 »

Or of course you could renew at the Post Office and incur no credit surcharge!  *smile* *whistle*

Nice try- they're even worse. My Post Box rental is due next week, and they don't even accept credit cards, and have their own 'special' 'Post Bpay'  *conf*, so i just pay with eftpos

One issue to remember is the Continuous Enforcement of Insurance, that came into force in 2012(?). If you have a vehicle taxed it MUST be insured.

Over here, each vehicle has to have CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance BEFORE it can be registered. CTP covers any person injured in an accident involving that vehicle except the rider/driver at fault, naught to do with vehicle/property damage cover- that's separate, and not compulsory.
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 18.03. 2016 18:52 »
I think the DVLA website has improved a lot. I've SORNed a couple of vehicles this week and it was no trouble, despite one of them being 'not found' with only reg number and make entered. It was fine once I put in the V5C number.

One issue to remember is the Continuous Enforcement of Insurance, that came into force in 2012(?). If you have a vehicle taxed it MUST be insured.  Failure to comply can be expensive if you reach the stage of being fined, as someone I know found out.  (It wasn't me, honest!)
i recieved a £100 fine notice for no insurance on a taxed bike i wrote saying the bike had been sorned 9 weeks before 2 weeks later they wrote saying ignore the fine notice we have updated our records  *????*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 18.03. 2016 21:47 »
Over here, each vehicle has to have CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance BEFORE it can be registered. CTP covers any person injured in an accident involving that vehicle except the rider/driver at fault, naught to do with vehicle/property damage cover- that's separate, and not compulsory.
Same over here.
And about road tax, the government sends you a bank transfer form with the amount and due date. Next you log in to your bank account, fill in the details and the due date and that's it. When the day's there it's automatically debited from your account without any surcharge.
When you take it off the road, you just send in your license plate and they stop charging you. No SORN or whatever. They even pay you back if you didn't finish the year.
This system is used by many motorcyclists that don't drive during winter months.
Good Advice
No reactions
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 18.03. 2016 22:16 »
Where I live in South Australia we now have quite a good system for rego.

I can register any amount of bikes on "seasonal" rego, that allows me to let them run out and re rego them sometime in the future for no extra cost. For example I can let my A10 rego expire and simply go online and re register it some months later. There are no credit card or similar fees.

I keep a couple of bikes fully registered and the others I rego whenever I want. You can do the rego online with a credit card and its instant.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Dean

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 25.03. 2016 19:57 »
I havn't got my head round how to deal with buying/selling moderns now that the tax does not transfer. So as soon as you buy it you've got to tax it before you can drive t home!
Good Advice
No reactions
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 29.03. 2016 12:14 »
Dean, I think a valid mot (if reg'd ) and insurance would get you home ,it'd  seems that mr plod isn't that bothered if you have those, I've not heard of any of my friends etc having any trouble but I'd get it done asap on arrival.
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom