Author Topic: Rocker Box oil feed pipe  (Read 1484 times)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Rocker Box oil feed pipe
« on: 26.03. 2016 19:27 »
Just received a new rocker box oil feed pipe. Went for the first 90 degree bend, heated the pipe just above the tee from the banjos and it was perfect. Then for the second 90 bend to route the pipe along the o/s of top tube. Heated the pipe again just started bending when the pipe snapped in two. I don't posses a small tube bender but have bent small tubes by hand for years with no problem. I don't fancy spending another £20 pounds for it to do the same. I prefer not to name the supplier but it was not from Bikerbsa, so has anyone had any luck with fitting these straight silver coloured replacement tubes.

ELLIS

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rocker Box oil feed pipe
« Reply #1 on: 26.03. 2016 19:47 »
Sorry I can't answer your question but the copper pipe (which I've always assumed is correct for the bike but does anyone know the correct spec for sure?) can be bent several times without annealing and does not kink. I've assumed it's standard brake line tubing? I've soft soldered it into the fittings without any problems, but others may prefer a higher temp solder.

You would get a lot of brake tubing for 20 quid.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.03. 2016 20:20 »
fitted one last year, the pipe (not copper) bent easily enough, although I did not make really sharp bends
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.03. 2016 21:45 »
I make them out of copper tubing, silver solder the joints and get the finished article zinc plated.

beezermacc

« Reply #4 on: 27.03. 2016 09:37 »
Wassells have been selling rocker feed pipes with copper tubing between the banjos and brass tubing from the 'T' down to the oil tank. I used one such pipe on my Super Rocket and found it very difficult to work with but I did manage in the end. The one I used on the SR was from a batch I bought from Wassells about 12 months ago. After fitting the SR pipe I contacted Wassells and they said they weren't aware that the pipes had been made from brass; presumably they are made in India or China and maybe the manufacturer strayed from the spec he had been provided with........ no point in speculating really. Wassells said they were happy to take them back so I sent them all back and now I only stock the ones supplied by MCA which are all copper tubing and a delight to work with. When buying rocker feed pipes you need to ask what they are made from, sadly.  Grrrrrrrrr!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.03. 2016 13:35 »

I maybe wrong, but I've a feeling I sourced some (is it 1/8") from either a scrap yard, or a refrigeration supplies (I think they're about all else who use it)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 27.03. 2016 15:13 »
I imagine Bundy tubing as used in brake systems and easily shaped and soldered would be ok.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 27.03. 2016 17:24 »
Thanks for all your feedback, I will get some brake piping and silver solder it into the tee.

ELLIS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.03. 2016 19:30 »
I really don't see why soft solder will not do. The pressure in the rocker box feed must be very low. Mine is attached with a proper union to the oil tank return feed but isn't it attached with a short length of rubber tubing on later models? If so the pressure cannot be high. Soft solder works fine on all of my central heating radiator pipework, (Australian readers may need to Google Central Heating  ;D)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 27.03. 2016 21:04 »
" (Australian readers may need to Google Central Heating  ;D) "
That's a pie on a cold (15C) day at the races. *smile*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 28.03. 2016 08:23 »
I've tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to find a supplier of the brass solder T piece and banjo connectors.  Which is irritating as I'm sure they are available for not much money from someone.

Anyone got a source?

Also, soft solder has worked well enough for me.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.03. 2016 11:09 »
I really don't see why soft solder will not do. The pressure in the rocker box feed must be very low. Mine is attached with a proper union to the oil tank return feed but isn't it attached with a short length of rubber tubing on later models? If so the pressure cannot be high. Soft solder works fine on all of my central heating radiator pipework, (Australian readers may need to Google Central Heating  ;D)

Soft solder will do.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 28.03. 2016 11:26 »

What's central heating? I bung a half a gum tree in an old kero tin to keep the nippers toasty warm!
There is SFA pressure in the return line, I use fuel hose and hose clamps on the return line oil filter
59 Super Rocket 

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.03. 2016 11:28 »
...I use fuel hose and hose clamps on the return line oil filter
Me too
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK