Author Topic: How do you restore small rusty bits?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
How do you restore small rusty bits?
« on: 27.03. 2016 11:16 »
Hello,

I'm working my way through a restoration of a barn-find '53 A10.  I've got a load of small parts that are too good to throw away but very rusty and deeply pitted on the outside.  Things like wheel spacers, brake arms, steady straps, wheel nuts, etc, etc, where the threads are OK.  Smaller nuts, bolts and washers are just being replaced (with the wonderful assistance of Priory Magnetos  *smile* ).  However, there's a growing pile of stuff which I'm thinking should be OK but just need a tidy up so as not to let the rest of the bike down. 

What do you guys do with very pitted stuff like that?

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: How do you restore small rusty bits?
« Reply #1 on: 27.03. 2016 12:06 »
Wire brush and oily rag, but I'm not restoring.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.03. 2016 12:14 »
There are lots of rust treatments and I prefer this one.....
http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/deox-c
Its a powder you mix with water, keep in a big plastic container with a lid and just give parts a bath in it for a day or so....works well.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 27.03. 2016 13:07 »
Bench grinder with 6" dia. wire brush wheel or wire brush on a hand electric drill, pickle in dilute phosphoric acid then dry and paint as required.

I keep meaning to set up a small zinc or nickel plating bath but that's still on the  'to do' list.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.03. 2016 13:25 »

Wire brush as above for the loose stuff, and either of molasses (best, but needs subsequent treating), vinegar, phosphoric (seems to be decreasing in content, but sourced some that is 70% and use it neat, but sometimes dilute to suit) and I think chromers (platers) use caustic soda *citation needed
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.03. 2016 15:41 »
I used an electrolytic process to de-rust bits. The iron cylinder head and barrel were the most difficult to clean any other way.

I had already set up a large plastic container in the fresh air outside my garage with strong Caustic Soda, (Lye) solution to degrease (ferrous only) items. I left the bits in the caustic for a couple of weeks, checking and turning them every few days, (rubber gloves and safety specs needed). After a pressure wash they showed a nice clean but in places rusty surface.

I found some threads online about using a caustic solution combined with a power source to reverse oxidation. I wired up my old-school battery charger to the BSA chunks one at a time and put a ferrous node, (or is it anode? Google it) in the fluid but not touching the job. Lots of bubbles showed that something was happening. I needed to turn the job around every now and then so the node was in direct line with the various surfaces and after a while the block and head were showing a good gray colour.

Encouraged by my success with electrolysis I attempted zinc plating as shown here: http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/160243-zinc-plating-at-home.html

Some items got zinc plated quite well but anything with deep pitting was not very good, probably not really clean enough. Unfortunately my battery charger got fed up with pumping out serious current during this torture and blew the transformer. I gave up at that point.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 27.03. 2016 16:17 »
Take them to a metal finishing shop for Zinc Plating, during my rebuild I had a box full of fasteners, bolts, collars, spacers, bushes, brackets etc zinc plated, the finish was great, like a matt chrome, and cost was only £30.00. Turnaround time was 24hrs, and saved me a fortune.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 27.03. 2016 17:49 »
cover all rusty parts in a container with warm water with accetic acid powder added cheap to buy at homebrew shops soak for 24hrs amazing how clean  and rust free they become

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.03. 2016 21:36 »
Badly pitted fasteners and spacers which require plating go into the bin. Anything which is painted gets cleaned, filled and painted.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 27.03. 2016 23:26 »

[quoteI found some threads online about using a caustic solution combined with a power source to reverse oxidation. I wired up my old school battery charger to the BSA chunks one at a time and put a ferrous node, (or is it anode? Google it) in the fluid but not touching the job. Lots of bubbles showed that something was happening. I needed to turn the job around every now and then so the node was in direct line with the various surfaces and after a while the block and head were showing a good gray colour.[/quote]

I also found lots of threads for derusting the inside of fuel tanks, but using sodium carbonate as an electrolyte (washing soda/ soda ash?), instead. I haven't done it though
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 28.03. 2016 09:53 »
This is what you want. It's a Laser gun.

https://youtu.be/CLaBFkeHG0A
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 28.03. 2016 10:19 »
Thanks very much for all the suggestions!   *respect*

It's a very exciting time on the project.  I'm approaching the first dry build where I get to see this pile of bits form a bike, to check everything does actually go together before I get stuff painted.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 28.03. 2016 10:58 »
Molassis works well to remove rust but takes a few days to work. Pitted items that are to be painted I sandblast then fill, rub back then paint. Wheel spacers go in the lathe and get a light skim. Flat items I sand on glass with sandpaper on it.  FYI a zinc plating kit at home is the restorers BFF  *smile*
59 Super Rocket 

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 28.03. 2016 18:22 »
"This is what you want. It's a Laser gun."

We, the boys and I,  were watching that the other night and had 2 questions...

Is it a hoax?

How much and where?

OK, perhaps that's 3 questions.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 28.03. 2016 18:25 »
"This is what you want. It's a Laser gun."

We, the boys and I,  were watching that the other night and had 2 questions...

Is it a hoax?

How much and where?

OK, perhaps that's 3 questions.
http://www.cleanlaser.de/wEnglish/produkte/high-power-cl-1000.php

Another video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBGVhzGVxY

And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyLqIaXY2Y
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK