Author Topic: Plunger again, take the engine out  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
Plunger again, take the engine out
« on: 04.04. 2016 19:33 »
Just a quick one please, are the covers around the Dynamo supposed to come off to take the engine out? Only I've taken nuts off but they don't seem to come off ? Are the bottom bolts studs that go into the crankcase or a stuck through bolt? Thanks again

mod edit: title edited

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Plunger again, take the engine out
« Reply #1 on: 04.04. 2016 20:20 »
They all are through bolts and/or studs with a nut both sides. The bottom right hand nut can be reached from the right through the hole beneath the Dynamo.
The left half cover can be taken off like that. The right half can only be taken out togheter with the engine. No shortcut here.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.04. 2016 15:06 »
Which side Does the engine come out, I can't get rear of the gearbox up far enough to clear the knuckle on the frame where it bolts together to take it out the right side (sitting on bike) and if I try the left side the plate that goes around the dynamo gets in the way. Is the bottom stud on the that plate a stud either side or does it go right through the crankcase? Either way I can't move it, if I could I might be able to take the plate off which means I can lift the engine higher! Help.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 05.04. 2016 16:27 »
Engine definitely comes out left side. Strange that you can't remove that side's engine plate??
Maybe the bottom stud got stuck (mud, rust?) in the cranckcase hole. It shouldn't be screwed in the cases, that's for sure.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 05.04. 2016 17:10 »
Thanks Morris, I'll try heating the engine up around that bolt, cheers

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 05.04. 2016 17:55 »
Right with a lot of heat I've got the bottom stud out, but it doesn't help because the top of the plate still hits on the frame lug, it's funny the front of the engine dynamo plate wants to come out on the right side, but the rear because of the gearbox lug wants to come out the left side! It's that blinking plate hitting under the frame lug!!! *pull hair out* *pull hair out*

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 05.04. 2016 18:57 »
Wonder if you got the correct plates for the plunger frame?
Check the drawing I posted. There should be 3 pieces. 2 plates that bolt to the outside of the lugs and a distance piece between the lugs.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 05.04. 2016 19:10 »
Long time since I had engine out, but remember it needing a good dose of thinking, wondering, grumbling and planning :O) So take your time, it is possible.

Tip, get some solid covering\padding for the nearby frame parts involved, saves paint from scratches during the engine removal. And an extra pair of strong hands is very welcome, as are pieces of wood etc for support, lifting etc.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 05.04. 2016 19:14 »
They seem like the right ones 3 piece as you said, are you sure the right hand dynamo cover doesn't come off somehow?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 05.04. 2016 20:23 »
are you sure the right hand dynamo cover doesn't come off somehow?
Believe me, I tried every possible way. *smile*
Mind you, I did have the barrels off. And if the old memory serves me well I also had the gearbox innards removed but I'm not sure of the latter.
That would make it a hell of a lot easier I guess.
Anyway, removing the cylinders and/or the gearbox's outer and inner cover would give you much more playroom
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 05.04. 2016 21:12 »

It is much easier with both dynamo plates removed; but with the r/h plate on, from memory goes something along the lines of maybe need to tilt forward (will only go slightly) until the top gearbox lug  and bottom front through-bolt lug kind of clear frame, then rotate/twist the whole unit and up at the same time. *conf*

I think also something under the sump plate to take some weight might help, also gives something to rotate/twist it on...and also remove the rear rockerbox cover and top stud
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.04. 2016 22:23 »
So does that mean it comes out the right side? As far as I can tell the right hand cover will not come off. Silly design

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 06.04. 2016 00:43 »

So does that mean it comes out the right side?

I'm not completely sure, I think from the right but I've a feeling I may have also fed it in from the left past centre and then simulated a kind of reverse parallel park on the back wheel *eek* - serious

It's one of those things when small moves make a big difference and you just have to hold your tongue right... :P
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 06.04. 2016 12:00 »
I took my Plunger engine out yesterday; well actually I just turned it enough the get the gearbox out so I could change the gearbox sprocket. I'd removed the rocker box and cylinder head.
I used a ratchet tie-down load strap over the top frame tube and around the base of the cylinder block to lift the engine a little when disassembling. This worked well but not so clever when I needed to lower it; I had to use my car trolley jack under the sump to take the pressure off the strap before I could undo it so probably should have used the jack to lift the engine in the first place. I had already removed the left front engine plate and removed the dynamo a while ago so the right plate was loose, it just fell out when the engine was lifted but getting it back into position was a bit of a challenge; the jack helped me to rock and roll the engine into the right position.

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 06.04. 2016 17:00 »
Engine out  *grins* thanks to you lot, could have done it without your help.