Author Topic: if only  (Read 548 times)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
if only
« on: 09.04. 2016 17:25 »
went to the local  re cycling skips yesterday the metal skip was level to the top i went to throw in an old clothes post  there were dozens of chrome spanners all sizes flats rings dozens of sockets 15 or so rotary wire brushes pair of realy nice short chrome meggas and many other items but you are not allowed to remove items once in the skip and two blokes watching me like a hawk *sad2* as i was getting into the car a guy pulled up in a volvo estate and began throwing a realy nice full blue premier drum kit into the skip whats the world  coming to

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: if only
« Reply #1 on: 09.04. 2016 17:41 »
Some people are just too lazy or too mean to rehome things. I'm subscribed to the Freecycle network; it's a great scheme to offer and get unwanted items.
In our local tip there is a charity shop; good stuff gets taken out of the skips and offered in the shop for small amounts of money.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.04. 2016 17:58 »
Many years ago I got a plunger A7 (Speedo in tank model) out of a municipal tip for a couple of quid. It was in fantastic condition and just needed a cam. Wish I'd kept it now, but A65's and A10's were dotted about all over the show £25 take it away.

Is the speedo in tank model an early variation?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.04. 2016 18:24 »
My understanding is that speedo in tank was only on the early A7's

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 09.04. 2016 19:12 »
Totally agree. Very surprised at the items some people regard as rubbish.

At the local recycling centre a few weeks ago I was eyeing up a selection of aluminium step ladders, in a skip brimming with them.

On the way out I was even more surprised. Someone had left a 14 foot speedboat complete with trailer!
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 11.04. 2016 11:54 »
I agree we've turned into a throw away society, I go to our local tip and depair at what i see , this time of the year it's full of lawn mowers and barby's ,nothing wrong with 'em they just been "upgraded".TV sets in another corner , Last year I needed another large butane bottle ,my local tip had a section full of 'em and one became mine for a box of biscuits that saved me £20 as a deposit,  as they guy said that's really recycling things.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.04. 2016 12:09 »

Don't get me started on this, I don't ditch anything unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Something most people don't realize, is just because it's out of sight-out-of-mind doesn't mean it fails to exist. It's just no longer in their life, but still in the system. Some stuff doesn't matter, but a LOT of stuff does. I believe if you buy it, it's yours forever, and I don't give a **** what anyone says otherwise.

I will say
.....Last year I needed another large butane bottle, my local tip had a section full of 'em and one became mine.......
May be different over there, but here LPGas bottles have to be examined and certified and stamped every ten years, otherwise no refill.
 I have a few that I can't dump or refill, even though they are probably quite ok

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 11.04. 2016 12:16 »
hi Dutch, it's the same over here , we get ours delivered by a guy whos known my neighbours for years and all he needs is a empty to drop off a full one . interestingly when last at the tip Inoticed that they didn't have any gas bottles and was told they can't take 'em anymore due to changes in the regulations .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.04. 2016 13:11 »

Yeah Bob it sucks, I can understand to a degree, but when I have four bottles of various sizes that I can use as a backup, but cant fill 'em  *pull hair out*...what we do have is a swap'n go system, but the exchange on those is sometimes more than a refill from the same place *conf*, so guess what I do, and when the bottle is out of date.. *shh*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11.04. 2016 18:30 »
every move at our re cycling skips are on cameras its more than there jobs are worth to turn a blind eye but you can ask the person disposing of the item if you can have it before its in the skip but you have to be in and unload with there help and exit in a short time spoilt in the past by the d.h.s.s brigade who were hanging about to see what they could get there hands on

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 17.04. 2016 09:17 »
every move at our re cycling skips are on cameras its more than there jobs are worth to turn a blind eye but you can ask the person disposing of the item if you can have it before its in the skip but you have to be in and unload with there help and exit in a short time spoilt in the past by the d.h.s.s brigade who were hanging about to see what they could get there hands on

Apply rule: point 22 ?
(Like rule: 303, remember that?)

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 17.04. 2016 15:10 »

Like GB, I'm fairly sure this was '46 for '47 model only, but others will hopefully clarify.

Apply rule: point 22 ?

Sounds like bang-stick stuff *eek*

Australia

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 18.04. 2016 09:51 »
Any camera in a public place... fair game don't you reckon?
(I could probably get jailed for even THINKING that!!!)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.04. 2016 11:02 »

I remember that (partly), was in a film or something right, something to do with going around in circles ???
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 18.04. 2016 11:16 »
Edward Woodward in Breaker Morant: "Rule 303 SIR !!!!" (Boer War I think).