Author Topic: Bike hasn`t been run for 2 years, tips needed.  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
Hi Guys,

I`m a newbe but from what I can gather, I should Wash out the sludge trap and maybe fit something like this  http://shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product/bsa-a7-a10-a50-a65-all-years-sump-filter-kit

before I fire her up.

I`ve been searching the forum for a guide of how to do it and what I need (gaskets etc.) could someone please explain, or simply point me in the right direction?

Cheers.
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Bike hasn`t been run for 2 years, tips needed.
« Reply #1 on: 14.04. 2016 20:14 »
Very good point about the sludge trap.

The sump kit is a fine thing. A thought, better to use studs+nuts (like originally fiited) instead of bolts = any eventual thread damage will never occur in the crankcase.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 14.04. 2016 20:17 »
Yeah, thats a valid point. I never use bolts on my lammy engines, always studs.

Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 14.04. 2016 20:30 »
G'day Rob.
Their pretty straight forward to fit, and well worth it (there are cheaper ones on the market). Remove the 4 nuts hold that old one on and remove the plate. You will need to remove the studs and clean the face. Now install the gasket, strainer plate, gasket and sump plate. Easy peasy. You will probably find that after sitting for 2 years the sump is full (wet sumped) of oil, so have a good 2Lt container under her when you remove the old plate. That's why the new plug type sump plate is good.
The sludge trap is a big job (full motor strip), so you won't be doing that straight away. Once you've done a good look over and filled the oil tank (leave the filler cap off), start her up. First check is to see oil returning to the tank (may take a minute). If it does, put your helmet on and go for a short (5 miles) ride. Listen for any Knocks on acceleration or overrun.
Report back with any questions.
Cheers
A10gf got in while I was typing (one finger).
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.04. 2016 20:35 »
To clean the sludge trap would mean a complete engine strip, so a lot of work involved. Would recommend you drain the oil tank and check the oil tank filter, also clean the bottom of the tank thoroughly, this will tell you a lot about engine condition, together with sump filter contents.
 Fill with oil and prime the oil pump, this can be achieved by turning engine over or walking bike in gear. Then start her up and check oil return to top of tank, and if you have steady flow, take her out and enjoy the delights of a classic bike.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.04. 2016 20:36 »

(Duplicated some thoughts from Billybream, who beat me to the Send button.)

I didn't see this post before responding to "New Guy". My inclination is to think that two years is not so long since the bike last run that cleaning out the sludge trap should be considered mandatory. Having said that, let's wait for others with stronger opinions to chime in. There are plenty of guys here with more experience than I have. The thing is, washing out the sludge trap and changing the sump filter are in two completely different realms of work. Changing the sump late and filter you do in a half-hour. Cleaning the sludge trap could mean you're not riding any time soon, as splitting the cases is required.

Richard L.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 14.04. 2016 20:44 »
Hi, and welcome! I'm thinking when you say sludge trap you're assuming its a filter that needs to be cleaned? Its actually inside the crankshaft and so to get at it you would need to completely strip the whole engine, usually though that is only done as part of an engine rebuild and not something you'd normally do to a working engine that has just stood for a while. I think whoever suggested you clean the sludge trap probably only meant cleaning the filter gauze under the sump plate, there is also another one attached to the large chrome nut at the bottom of the oil tank and unless the bike has been fitted with an add on modern type oil filter thats your lot for filters!
The main thing though before starting it, as far as oil goes anyway,is draining the old stuff out, checking theres nothing nasty in the gauzes and putting some new in. Worthwhile taking the plugs out and kicking it over for a while to at least make a start in getting it circulating and when it does start make sure its is actually pumping oil by looking inside the oil tank cap where you should see a jet of oil coming out of the tube with a hole in it!

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 14.04. 2016 20:46 »
And I came last in the send button pressing race!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.04. 2016 21:01 »
I meant to add that you should not start using detergent oil, as that might loosen enough sludge in the trap to cause trouble.

Richard L.

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 14.04. 2016 21:21 »
Ahh, brilliant. Cheers chaps.

What oil do you reccomend and where is the best web based place for parts?
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.04. 2016 22:00 »
Hi, Manx
Can you find out anything about the bikes history prior to its lay up ?
Was it  used extensively before that or are there any receipts or documentation with it, MOT's or tax discs ??
It may have been rebuilt and not used ?? (this quite often happens *sad2*)
Cleaning out the oil tank and sump filter will tell a lot

My advice would be to use Castrol classic 40 or equivalent for the engine

There are a lot of people selling A10 stuff on ebay and the likes
Not all good quality out there ???
Our own Beezermac on the forum sells a good range of spares
https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/home

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 14.04. 2016 22:29 »
It was fully restored 20 years ago (thats why it looks like it has a little original patina).

The guy who restored it did a lot of bikes but this one was his personal bike, much loved. 7000km`s on the clock.

The last 10 years its been pulled out for a plod and oil has been changed every year until 2 years ago when the currant owners Health meant that it has sat around.

The pics look stunning, so cant wait to see it in the flesh. The fella who owns it said he could change the oil so I can start it but I think I`ll do it when I get it home.

The owner is very attatched and says its always started very easily and I m worried that if I turn up on saturday and fire her up that he will change his mind again..

Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 14.04. 2016 22:47 »
Oh.. Another thing. I havn`t got any whitworth tools .  I need a socket set and spanner set but is there anything else that I should have while I m at it?

Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 14.04. 2016 23:53 »

Hiya Man-x  *smile*

You won't need a full set, just a few sockets, ring and O/enders both handy, and a couple thin wall sockets (that don't come to mind just now) but as you go you may need a special tools that you may need to make if you can do.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 15.04. 2016 08:43 »
Ok, bought some spanners and sockets off ebay.

Which sparkplugs do I need?
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger