Author Topic: Bike hasn`t been run for 2 years, tips needed.  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
Re: Bike hasn`t been run for 2 years, tips needed.
« Reply #30 on: 17.04. 2016 19:09 »
Ive asked some of the brit bike enthusiasts over here and it seems that no one really knows whats best and most use the addative now and then.

Anyway, I managed to go for a 60km jaunt this evening and some issues have shown themselfs.

First on the agenda is I cant give it any more than half throttle. The fact that is running otherwise lovely, makes me point at a fuel issue, maybe a blocked jet?

To give it a test I pulled out the reserve fuel tap and discoverd to my horror that the stop screw itsn t there anymore and emptied some of the contents of the tank on my DocMartains.

Are these screws available somewhere?

Another, less important issue is my Smiths dial stops at 30km`s and I really hope its just the cable because it is a thing of beauty.

The last issue is due to me. Trying to slow the bike down with the back brake and only throwing it in fourth gear is something I realy have to work on ! haha. 
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 17.04. 2016 19:23 »
G'day Rob.
Carb clean time. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a main jet fall out to give that symptom.
No additives needed. If you must a little valve saver won't hurt (juat darken the plugs).
Yep know what your saying. #1 BSA right foot 1 up 3 down, #2 BSA right foot 1 down 3 up, Honda left foot 1 down 4 up. Always stuff up at least once on a ride.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 17.04. 2016 19:49 »
I guess the Lambrettas have a gear change on the handlebars?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #33 on: 17.04. 2016 20:21 »
Yes they do. Handlebar gear change but the rear brake pedal is a right footed affair, so pottering around today on half throttle was proberbly a good thing after riding a modern japanese bike (W800) for the last couple of years.

While we are discussing gears. its a bit hit and miss finding neutral. I stood at the petrol station for a minute trying to find neutral before I turned the bike off and faffed another minute befor I found it.

Going from 3rd to second is a crunchy experience if the revs are (at a Guess) around 1500-2000rpm, but just as good as the Kawasaki under that. Is that normal?

Ohh, and it doesn`t leak oil and I know that isnt normal... ;)

Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #34 on: 17.04. 2016 20:35 »
Yes they do. Handlebar gear change but the rear brake pedal is a right footed affair, so pottering around today on half throttle was proberbly a good thing after riding a modern japanese bike (W800) for the last couple of years.

While we are discussing gears. its a bit hit and miss finding neutral. I stood at the petrol station for a minute trying to find neutral before I turned the bike off and faffed another minute befor I found it.

Going from 3rd to second is a crunchy experience if the revs are (at a Guess) around 1500-2000rpm, but just as good as the Kawasaki under that. Is that normal?

Ohh, and it doesn`t leak oil and I know that isnt normal... ;)

You didn't put any in, did you!   *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #35 on: 17.04. 2016 20:45 »
Haha... It will proberbly empty the whole gearbox on the garage floor tonight just for my blastphomy.
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 17.04. 2016 21:26 »
Hard to find neutral is normal but fixable depending on how much it bothers you, any significant clutch drag and it gets impossible at a standstill, the springs in clutches can be adjusted to reduce drag, by getting the pressure plate to lift dead evenly (I use a dial gauge), but worn parts eg notches in the basket can also cause clutch drag.

The fact you are getting a bit of gear crunching (which is not normal, assuming you are blipping the throttle when changing down) may also indicate a clutch drag problem, but maybe change the primary oil to ATF or sae 30 before stripping it down.

Let me know if you find that petrol tap screw, I had the exactly the same problem years ago, and still haven't fixed it  *whistle* I just don't use reserve.....

If the speedo cable is not at fault you can at least clean a chronometric yourself and often oil getting inside from the cable causes problems solved by cleaning .....but you would have to be brave to give it a go...there are some guides on fixing them on the net. Getting the bezel off can be a challenge though  *work*

I swap back and forth from my street triple and a10, they are so different I don't usually stuff up the gears, except when I'm tired  *problem*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 17.04. 2016 23:05 »

When driving away wait a couple of seconds before engaging first.

I meant to say wait a couple of seconds after pulling in the clutch before engaging first. Allows the gears time to stop spinning.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #38 on: 18.04. 2016 05:34 »
Yes, definatly clutch! Thanks for the tip.

It does want to pull in first with the clutch pulled in. Very slight mind and not noticable until I lift up my feet.

I`ll try that first. Also among the bits and bobs I got With the bike, I found one of these.

I wasn t sure what it was until I found the Amal diagram, so I think the old boy I bought it from has been messing with the carb at some point and maybe done something wrong.

I`m off to Switzerland now (work :(  ) but the first job to do when I come back this weekend is to strip the carb and have a look what the culprit is. I think it must be main jet related. 
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 18.04. 2016 21:29 »
She looks and sounds great mate.
I'm sure you'll have many hours and miles of fun together.

I've found the best place for help, advise and information on these bikes is....

this forum *smile*
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #40 on: 18.04. 2016 21:52 »
G'day Rob.
At least now you'll be able to go to a Mods V Rockers party and have a foot in both camps.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #41 on: 19.04. 2016 15:28 »
I'm not a mod!

I actually don't understand the dressing up and dressing up the scooter to look like a Christmas tree thing... Im also younger than all my bikes, so I don't buy and ride them for a trip down memory lane.

I simply love them because.....Hmm...Just because.  Although the scooters are more practical in the sense that they are easier to push home if (when!) vital parts rattle off on the motorway. Hehe
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 19.04. 2016 16:43 »
I grew up preferring motorcycles to scooters, although in the 60's I was known as the Mod on a motorbike because I dressed smart, not in greasy leathers. Later when I met my future wife and I had no car available she lent me her Vespa 125cc and I loved it! It was reliable, nippy and fairly dry in wet weather, oh did I say it was reliable!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #43 on: 21.04. 2016 15:24 »
These days you have to tune scooters to keep up with modern days traffic and its full throttle everywhere, so they always over thier limits.

Thats why they need to be pushed now and then.. hehe
Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger

Offline Manx71

• Moving Up
« Reply #44 on: 21.04. 2016 20:14 »
Right I`m home...

Took the carb off and checked the clutch cable.

Am I supposed to have a cable tensioner where it is held on the gearbox?

The lever tensioner is wound all the way out. The threads in the lever are shot but the Outer nut still does its job but I still have some slack.

(ps. where do you fellas buy parts uk based? )

Rob

Norway - Søgne

Honda Dominator NX650
1960 Lambretta Li150
1969 Lambretta Luna
1960 A10 swinger