Author Topic: A10 Valve clearances  (Read 1449 times)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
A10 Valve clearances
« on: 21.04. 2016 07:41 »
 Could anyone tell me the correct way to adjust the tappet clearances on a Feb 1960 A10 s/a Eng number  DA10.16377 Frame number GA7.5279 as Haynes Manual seems to contradict itself. i.e. Engine position-valve position and the sequence to adjust the valve gaps and clearance settings properly.  *help*

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
Re: A10 Valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: 21.04. 2016 08:15 »
hi, guys/Ellis, when the piston is at T.D.C. on the firing stroke the valves should be fully closed that is the time to adjust tappets on that side only, turn engine to the same position on the other side and do the same on that side,  that's how I would do it,  cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 21.04. 2016 08:41 »
hi, guys/Ellis, when the piston is at T.D.C. on the firing stroke the valves should be fully closed that is the time to adjust tappets on that side only, turn engine to the same position on the other side and do the same on that side,  that's how I would do it,  cheers

Oh that's new for me *conf2*
I thougt the BSA cams has a special loop profile with a little ramp, so I adjust the the valve clearence when the oposite side is fully opened. Allways the inlet or the exhaust oposite.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.04. 2016 08:51 »
Err - I just stick something down the plug 'ole and turn the motor gently whilst watching the valves ... until the piston is coming up with both closed. When the stick stops moving it's time to set the clearances. I use a stick with something on the back such that if I were to slip it wouldn't fall all the way in (fave is a T bar screw driver). I do that for all my bikes.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.04. 2016 09:15 »
My method: when tappets are rocking, (one closing then other opening) when a piston is at TDC. Adjust the other side. Getting the engine to the correct positions is easy if the machine is on the centre stand and you put the bike in fourth gear and turn the back wheel.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.04. 2016 09:29 »

I don't concern myself with TDC, but do what I think I interpret as what Klaus does; left ex/in.full open, adjust right side.
 Right ex/in.full open, adjust left side.

Think a full crank Rev per adjustment. Think laterally.

GB rounded me up, much the same
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.04. 2016 10:35 »
OK, so I may have it wrong; the following text is copied from the BSA workshop manual.

The cams are of special design. Because of this it is essential that when checking or adjusting the clearance of any valve it should be closed, with its tappet on the base circle, or neutral portion of the cam. To obtain this position for the drive-side inlet valve turn the engine until the gear-side inlet valve is fully open. Similarly, to set the gear-side inlet valve in the correct position, turn the engine until the drive-side inlet valve is fully open. Follow the same procedure exactly for the two exhaust valves.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 21.04. 2016 14:12 »
Yep L inlet fully open adjust R inlet and so forth.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.04. 2016 15:38 »
Hmm. I just adjusted my valves by my typical method (TDC-based) and my bike  seems to be running great. I don't think I'm prepared to pull the valve covers right now in seach of whatever improvement might emerge from the adjust-opposite-of-open method. Does anyone think a lowly hobbyist (as opposed to racer) such as myself would detect the performance difference, if any.

Another side of this is that confirming fully open is a bit trickier than the stick-in-a-hole method (to which we are anthropologically inclined) to find TDC. Is everyone who is using the adjust-opposite-of-open method just eyeballing the movement of the rocker or is anyone using a dial indicator?

Richard L.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 21.04. 2016 21:02 »
Thanks for all your replies, I think I will go for the one down set the other which seems the most popular setup.  *thanks*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 21.04. 2016 21:09 »
G'day Richard.
The TDC method is OK. There is a slight chance the followers are just starting on the quieting ramp and this will give you a slightly larger gap (only a thou or two).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.04. 2016 21:53 »
I just turn the engine over and watch a valve open then close and then turn the crank a little more to ensure the follower is on the base circle part of the cam, and then adjust the clearance of that valve. No messing about finding tdc.

The base circle makes up the majority of the cams profile and it should not be hard to ensure the follower is on the base circle as opposed to the lifting part of the cam.

works for me anyway..... *smile*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 21.04. 2016 21:57 »
 Richard, in addition to what Musky said, I do the one open adjust the other partly because I'm lazy and want the quickest way, and it seems most logical as that's the way the cams are (valve is closed longer than it's open), and I figure it can't go wrong *beer*

Having said that, I still always lose track of which one I'm up to aand usually do them a couple of times *eek*

Kiwi rounded me up there, and said much as I did (except the lazy and last bit *smile*)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 22.04. 2016 11:24 »
I'm gonna stick to my stick. I've yet to burn out or clout valves with my method.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza