Author Topic: Won't start  (Read 1616 times)

Offline oval57

• Moving Up
Won't start
« on: 24.04. 2016 10:07 »
Yesterday I was riding my 52 Gold flash, cruising through the hills, done probably 70 miles everything going well, rounded a corner and the motor died and will not start. Plenty of fuel, I am nowhere near tools at the moment so I can't even get a plug out to check spark. mag was rebuilt about 1800 miles ago so hoping that hasn't failed! When it died I was probably three quarters throttle, the engine died made maybe two coughs and that was it........any clues?

Started with a basket case, now got 3 BSAs and a shed full of bits.....mmmm feel another BSA coming on...whoops two more followed me home...

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Won't start
« Reply #1 on: 24.04. 2016 10:20 »
Sometimes when points have been renewed (would be the case when your Maggie was rebuilt) the heel of the points initially  wears down quite quickly and the points come out of adjustment, had this happen on a Mini late sixties.
Worth a look as you don't need tools,just check that they open at all, maybe borrow a screwdriver and open them a bit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.04. 2016 10:26 »
Fuel blockage? Points closed?
I would suggest making up a tool roll for your next trip.  *doh*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 24.04. 2016 10:56 »
Could be something stupid as fouled plugs. Had it happening to me once.
As GB suggests, a tool roll containing at least a couple of spare plugs, a plug spanner, some ww spanners, a small torch, a screwdriver, and a small adjustable pair of pliers are really indispensable.
As it happens, I am looking for a tyre repair set like the ones that exist for tubeless tyres with some kind of spray can to spray inside the tyre to repair the hole, and a cannister with CO2 or something to inflate the tyre.
Anyone knows if it exists for tube type tyres? 
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.04. 2016 11:08 »
Stripped fibre gear on advance / retard?

Remove the points cover and turn the motor over. Check that the points rotate through 360 degrees.

Ricchard

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.04. 2016 11:58 »

the engine died made maybe two coughs and that was it........any clues?

I've had the same thing, strangely in exactly the same place on at least two, maybe three occasions- just coincidence *conf*

Thought I'd run out of fuel(lucky not far from a servo), but turned out was a blocked fuel line/filter each time, blew it out and all systems go again until the next time- all at night.

Actually I just remembered the first time in the same place was when the genny belt broke...red/blue/red/bluered/blue *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.04. 2016 12:36 »
...I am looking for a tyre repair set like the ones that exist for tubeless tyres with some kind of spray can to spray inside the tyre to repair the hole, and a cannister with CO2 or something to inflate the tyre.
They are available for bicycles. Try Halfrauds.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-puncture-repair/weldtite-bike-tyre-seal-100g
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #7 on: 24.04. 2016 12:37 »
the engine died made maybe two coughs and that was it........any clues?
I had exactly the same thing happen to me, and what had happened in my case, was that the contact had fallen off of the heel. The magneto had been rebuilt about 2000 miles prior to this.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.04. 2016 13:30 »
.... the contact had fallen off of the heel.

?????  Are you talking about one of the points contacts? I'm sure that as soon as you explan this I will feel stupid for not kenning to it right away.

Oval,

Can we assume that you have gotten home now, or are you in a hotel or camped under the stars trying to figure this out?

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.04. 2016 13:36 »
I've had the same thing, strangely in exactly the same place on at least two, maybe three occasions- just coincidence *conf*

Dutch,

That's Incredible. How did you know where it was that Oval broke down?  ;) >:D

Richard L.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #10 on: 24.04. 2016 14:13 »
Are you talking about one of the points contacts?
Richard that is indeed what I meant. It was not immediatley obvious what had happend, and it was only after the bike had been ignominiously transported back home by a recovery truck, and I started to remove the contacts that I discovered what had happened.
John

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #11 on: 25.04. 2016 01:49 »
We had a plunger A10 stop dead during a club run recently, half way up a steep hill on a series of tight blind corners with no where to pull over  *problem*
Luckily we managed to get it off the road and it was evident it was ignition related. A roadside strip highlighted a stripped mag pinion fibre gear, had lost a couple of teeth. *sad2*
Luckily I had a spare at home so went and got it. It was refitted and the bike was able to carry on.
We never did have time for the ride lunch but all the bikes got home under their own steam.  The owner/rider was quite amazed.  *wink2*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.04. 2016 16:19 »
...I had a spare at home so went and got it...
...all the bikes got home under their own steam...
You sir are a knight of the road!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.04. 2016 23:38 »
Dutch,

That's Incredible. How did you know where it was that Oval broke down?  ;) >:D

Richard L.

I have to admit, that's the kinda (crap) thing I'd say  *smile*

Must have a psych(ot)ic streak    *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline oval57

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 04.05. 2016 22:27 »
Well the problem is solved!!! After getting very frustrated I engaged the services of a man that has messed with mags for a while, took the bike there unloaded it from the trailer, he slipped the cap from the end of the mag to eliminate the cutoff button and straight away picked the cam ring had moved out and had rotated, slipped it all out cleaned repositioned it, first bloody kick..... Need a small drop or two of Loctite to ensure it does happen again.. Then this raised the question how did the cam come out with the cap on??? And why did the bike stop in the first place ? Put the cap back on won't start, disconnect the wire from the kill switch to the cap, starts, must be the kill switch. Take the kill switch off of the bars and the little screw that clamps the wire in had vibrated loose and was earthing on the bar..tighten up a little wad of leather and refit, Wire back in and away we go! So story of the breakdown now reads......riding along going well when the bike cuts out, shit, check spark, nil, take cap off of mag, kick over again, don't notice cam ring slips out a mil or two and turns, call for trailer, take home, think one checks the basics, over researches, get frustrated, call in the experts, finds fault, fixes, rider feels like D Head but rides off happy as..... If you read this thanks again Dave....Legend !

Started with a basket case, now got 3 BSAs and a shed full of bits.....mmmm feel another BSA coming on...whoops two more followed me home...